Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The last car I'd recommend for brutal condition rural roads is car as hard as an Audi :p

My first choice would be a first gen Citroen C5 (must be hydropneumatic), other contestants a Rover 75 or a W210 Mercedes E-class. All with the standard (smallest) wheels, we're talking 15" here and fat profile tyres. All of them have decent diesel engines, I'd say it wouldn't be hard to find a decent one of any of them with a towbar for half the bangernomics budget...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Patww79 wrote: »
    You mustn't have driven one of those A6's before if you think they're hard. They are big soft puddings of things.

I think that's what he meant.... Its called sarcasm/ humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Audi is another car I have never driven, so I have no idea what they would be like for those roads
    Herself had a 75 diesel for a couple of years unkel and I drove that road with it and didn't like it, BUT............
    to be fair, it wasn't the greatest example of a 75!
    Suspension-wise it needed work, interior build was atrocious on it, and it ended up having balljoints done on it, which tightened it up great, but as she was literally only doing maybe 2,000 miles a year in it and we used it solely as a second spare car, it never got the money spent on it that it should have really.

What's funny is, when she bought the 75, we were also looking at C5's. My father had a Xantia diesel YEARS ago, and it was a very comfortable car for those type roads, so maybe I actually WILL end up looking at French cars for this particular job!

God, I never thought I'd say that, but just goes to show that discussion between us here might maybe open up my mind to what I have blocked out for years! Surely that's a good thing?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rocrules

Hi Folks. Can anyone advise me please? I'm in the market for a second car. I'll be doing around 600km p/w in it on mostly decent roads. I'd like the car to be reliable and economical to run/maintain/tax.
    Should I go:
    the bangernomics route - cheap car, probably high tax, probably high fuel costs, risk of breakdown..., much joy and comfort :)
    oldish small diesel - cheapish car, cheap tax, cheap fuel costs, potential diesel engine problems, probably no joy except for the joy in my wallet
    oldish smallish petrol e.g. civic, corolla, jazz 1.6- cheapish car, mid tax, more expensive fuel costs, more reliable engine.

The current car is a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6 2011 diesel which the missus will be driving and it hasn't been very reliable so far, so I'm a little wary of Citroens...

Is there any happy middle ground here?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

2007 CRV auto.

If it seems too good to be true, it usually is...:D:D:D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-cr-v-2-0-automatic-ncted/13451836

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

homer90 wrote: »
    2007 CRV auto.

Seriously cheap @ €490 ??, Looks tight. Service book. If its your thing, could be some cheap motoring.

No mention of any faults.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-cr-v-2-0-automatic-ncted/13451836

Absolutely no-way... It's a mistake, a click bait, scam or something.

Not even in Ireland, a 2.0l (still reasonable tax) SUV Honda (with super-reliable engine), would cost that little. Unless it is completely cooked...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

My bad, in that case
    dreamer thread
    >>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

re the NCT on this MB, can anyone tell me why does the NCT windscreen disc show "0" miles?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just to add my tupence on the French car thing, I got a 06 c5 last year for a grand and apart from servicing and tyres it's going lovely over a year later. I only had one major job on the heating system where it wouldn't switch from cold to hot air that cost a lot to do because the dash had to come out but given the initial cost of the car and the year I got it done and I love the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rocrules

Is that a petrol or a diesel Jayop? What engine? What are the fuel costs like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rocrules wrote: »
    Is that a petrol or a diesel Jayop? What engine? What are the fuel costs like?

1.8 petrol. Fuel costs are OK, I do loads of short journeys so I put al lot in it anyway and I have done about 60k kms since I got it. I would never have bought it had I not went to look at another car from the the same fella that I didn't like and he gave me this one for a song. She's a very nice comfortable car for long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-starlet/13251547

YjZkODYxYjJiNDg1NmEyOGUwZGQ3MTkxM2MwODJlNDVyuH9gNgyPUhp94FMBkCynaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTEzNDg5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This looks like a little minter. NCT'd to 2/17 €650.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

oxnexon wrote: »
    Yes I do, but then again maybe he was steering it with his teeth!

I'd be more worried about the "upgraded front grille". Being that the previous one could still be embedded in a garden wall in Cork. :)

Something about the ad would prompt me to move on from it. Either way, its not really for sale. He wants to use it for weekends. Would be bad form to deny him that luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-starlet/13251547

YjZkODYxYjJiNDg1NmEyOGUwZGQ3MTkxM2MwODJlNDVyuH9gNgyPUhp94FMBkCynaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTEzNDg5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This looks like a little minter. NCT'd to 2/17 €650.

A Maroon colour bonnet has been fitted to it by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A Maroon colour bonnet has been fitted to it by the looks of it.

Tf did I not notice that!?

Tf did I not notice that!?

Tbf It's not that easy to spot without taking a second look. it might be no harm at all. It could be just a replacement for a rusty/dented bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

ZTI5_Mj_M0_YWQ2_Yz_Vm_ZDlm_Nm_My_NWFh_Nj_Az_NDJh_Mjk2_NWMt8_Zb_P.jpg

Yj_Az_N2_E3_NTMy_Zm_Jl_YWRk_Nz_Q4_Ym_Mx_ODQ1_ZWQ4_YTgz_OTC1946a.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-1990/13418157

In keeping with the 90's maroon Toyota theme
    I quite like this;
    Test till Jan17
    Tax till end of October
    Body looks reasonably clean and the interior is very presentable.
    Carina II's are only going up in value (even the base spec 1.6 gl's)
    Asking €750

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Really miss my carina ii, fupping great cars, actually quite fun to drive too. Mine was a mountain goat in the snows of 2010,

Might make an offer a swap for the 190e :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Really miss my carina ii, fupping great cars, actually quite fun to drive too. Mine was a mountain goat in the snows of 2010,

Love them too been hooked ever since my uncle had a 2.0 executive one great cars very nippy with the 3sfe engine too.

You'd wanna be getting cash your way for a clean 190e though surely :cool:

OGZmYTgxZDZlOGY4M2FiNzYzYzBmYTIyNGY5ZDQ2M2T_SFZ5EX2pPhCE5mdPLXvMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTk3Njk0Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Wonder if this would be any good to pull a trailer :D:D:D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-gt-1-9-jtd-nct-09-17-fresh/13409972

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Have fond memories of the mighty carina ii was involved in my first accident while a passenger in one.

During the boom years heading to work we hit a stonewall :pac:
    Into reverse out again parked it at the side of the road and had a laugh about how tough they were:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sslane

This isn't letting me quote posts for some reason but I'm pretty sure that carsireland.ie still does work because I've been checking loads of car registrations the last few days to see how many owners the cars have had and the tax and nct stated is coming up as what the ads are saying they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I'd be more worried about the "upgraded front grille". Being that the previous one could still be embedded in a garden wall in Cork. :)

Something about the ad would prompt me to move on from it. Either way, its not really for sale. He wants to use it for weekends. Would be bad form to deny him that luxury.

What are " all the unusual Jaguar extras" I wonder?

Sslane wrote: »
    This isn't letting me quote posts for some reason but I'm pretty sure that carsireland.ie still does work because I've been checking loads of car registrations the last few days to see how many owners the cars have had and the tax and nct stated is coming up as what the ads are saying they have.

Cheers. It was myself it didn't work for on my own car. Will try it on some others and see. I assume you are on mobile. I noticed I can't quote on that either

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Cheers. It was myself it din;t work for on my own car. Will try it on some others and see. I assume you are on mobile. I noticed I can't quote on that either

It won't work on some cars. Some recent imports for example wont be on the database

Carina II's are only going up in value (even the base spec 1.6 gl's)
    Asking €750
    Really miss my carina ii,.........
    crasy dash wrote: »
    Have fond memories of the mighty carina ii was involved in my first accident while a passenger in one.

Showing my age here now lads, but when did this model become the Carina II? I don't get it. I grew up in the 80's and there was a Carina II in the mid 80's which was the predecessor to this model, but sure enough, this one seems to be referred to as the Carina II now everywhere online??

I actually owned one of these also (what I can only call a Carina III :p) and even turned up an old thread here on Boards showing the "original" Carina II

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80537618

(EDIT)Ok. This gets stranger. Post 4 in above thread shows the rear of a Carina badged as a Carina II, but it is not the same as the Carina II in the first post (that model was pre 88)

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It won't work on some cars. Some recent imports for example wont be on the database

Very odd. My own Passat which I sold last night and was a 02 was only showing NCT to Jan 16 even though its to Jan 17 and tax to last March (16) even though I had it taxed to end of November this year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement