Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Showing my age here now lads, but when did this model become the Carina II? I don't get it. I grew up in the 80's and there was a Carina II in the mid 80's which was the predecessor to this model, but sure enough, this one seems to be referred to as the Carina II now everywhere online??

I actually owned one of these also (what I can only call a Carina III :p) and even turned up an old thread here on Boards showing the "original" Carina II

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80537618
    Both models were called carina ii. The model posted above by selectamatic was launced in 1988 in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

carinaii.jpg

This is a scaled down version of Carina II pic taken from Wiki and was what I would have known as the Carina II in the 80's until the next one came out in 1988. My father had a Carina in 1982 which was this one

carina.jpg

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Both models were called carina ii. The model posted above by selectamatic was launced in 1988 in ireland.

That's very strange. I actually owned one of them. Bought it brand new in 1990 but mine didn't have a Carina II badge. It was a 1.6 saloon in white. My first petrol car. Didn't know myself!! :D

MTZiZjU2YTQwNGNlYTk0MjhkYmZhMmViNzQzZDg2MzkTQonb-biuMUEbfn9Ea61kaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTYyOTcxMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Seeing as the C5 came up for discussion, here is one which will probably be bought for a grand
    06 Petrol C5
    NCT until 09/17
    €1,100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c5-quick-sale/13346402

That's very strange. I actually owned one of them. Bought it brand new in 1990 but mine didn't have a Carina II badge. It was a 1.6 saloon in white. My first petrol car. Didn't know myself!! :D

Those 88-92 carinas were one of the best Toyota's ever made in terms of quality and reliability imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I remember buying a carina ii 2.0d for the craic years ago
    Literally bullet proof and the engine didn't seem to need the diesel.
    I remember the lads being in shock when I could start it immediately without letting the glow plugs heat up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That C5 is way cleaner looking on the outside than mine and has a leather interior that I didn't have, but can that miliage be right? 323k kms?? Surely the engine is on it's last legs??

The Carina to me was always seen as a "free state" car. Us Nordies never seemed to have the love in you guys did with them and every second car in the south for a while seemed to be one of them.

Jayop wrote: »
    That C5 is way cleaner looking on the outside than mine and has a leather interior that I didn't have, but can that miliage be right? 323k kms?? Surely the engine is on it's last legs??

Seems very high alright and for a 1.6 petrol although I see 301,000 this time last year when it did the NCT, so it seems its correct alright!

OTM0YTUwZjc1ZjNlMzBmZTg5ZGY0YTU2NmU2ZTc5NzhxPMhwqzW8idtlcscxdgHPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjIzNjExMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Suppose I'm a bit biased after buying one of these a couple of weeks ago, but this one looks better externally than my own, although the interior looks to have more wear than mine and no mention of mileage, so I'd just wonder what the mileage is, but they are a cracker of a car to drive and mine is averaging 5.4 litres/100km so far, or 52mpg in old money. Water pump also done on this one recently and a bit of tax until Jan 17 and NCT to May 17. Asking price is €1650.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s-40-2-0-diesel-6-speed/13458441

(EDIT: I see on the NCT disc that it had something like 318,000 kms in May this year when tested, so mileage is quite high on this one!)

• Advertisement

Seems very high alright and for a 1.6 petrol although I see 301,000 this time last year when it did the NCT, so it seems its correct alright!

You'd assume it's not been clocked at least!! :)

Jayop wrote: »
    You'd assume it's not been clocked at least!! :)

Haha. I think you could be fairly safe in assuming that alright! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

Those 88-92 carinas were one of the best Toyota's ever made in terms of quality and reliability imo.
    Uncle of mine bought a brand new one in 1990, 1.6 Gli. Went to Croker from Cork in it many a time long before the motorway and it was a great old bus. He traded it in as scrappage in 2011 for a brand new Octavia 1.6 Tdi which has been faultlessly reliable also. That carina was some bus though, they were indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

Uncle of mine bought a brand new one in 1990, 1.6 Gli. Went to Croker from Cork in it many a time long before the motorway and it was a great old bus. He traded it in as scrappage in 2011 for a brand new Octavia 1.6 Tdi which has been faultlessly reliable also. That carina was some bus though, they were indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,457 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I must be the only person here who managed to kill a Carina.... Being a youngfella back in the day I thought it would be ok to drive it without ever checking for oil....until one day I was doing a bit of gowling and...BANG, click...click...click...engine parts fell onto the road.

So yeah indestructible my arse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I must be the only person here who managed to kill a Carina.... Being a youngfella back in the day I thought it would be ok to drive it without ever checking for oil....until one day I was doing a bit of gowling and...BANG, click...click...click...engine parts fell onto the road.

Cousin and myself were in one rallying in a field hit a ditch bent chasis right down the middle the car hit so hard it took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

For anyone old/young enough..😠Relive the glory days of late 90's Gran Turismo.!
    Tax March '17
    Test April '17
    Very low mileage claim
    Asking €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-demio-1-3-taxed-until-3-17-nct-until-4-17/13171708

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

W123-80's wrote: »
    For anyone old/young enough..😠Relive the glory days of late 90's Gran Turismo.!
    Tax March '17
    Test April '17
    Very low mileage claim
    Asking €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-demio-1-3-taxed-until-3-17-nct-until-4-17/13171708

Exactly what i was looking for behind the curtain. Whoever didn't race tune one of'em in Gran Turismo missed out big time.

Well no engine can be expected to run without oil :) I've seen these engines with neglected oil changes run for a very long time without issue, even when the oil in the sump starts turning into tar. Eventually though if it's severely neglected it's either going to run out of oil or the oil pick up will block.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ym_I4_MTlm_Mj_E2_NTEy_YWIw_ZWVk_NDdi_OWIz_ZWQ1_YWVi_Ym_Lvw15g.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/corolla-verso/13021600

If this is genuine it's phenomenal value.
    2004 D4D Corolla verso
    Test March 17
    Tax till June 17!
    155k miles and supposedly timing belt done.
    Asking €1900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-sunny-for-sale/13462899

ZTZkMDIzZjdlZjQzZTZlYmViMTgxYjJiMTkzNjA2N2WrWOGpISvCRvYaGV5ja4tqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjI2MjU1M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

So its not going to set the world alight, but NCT'd to 6/17 and taxed to 8/17 for €650. Dull but dependable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A car is only as dull or exciting as the driver ;)
    The ga14de are nippy rev happy bullet proof engines and them sunnys don't handle too bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-carina-2-0-gl/12569606

Would need some serious haggling to come under budget.. but looks mint in fairness !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The ga14de are nippy rev happy bullet proof engines and them sunnys don't handle too bad either

Haha, great perspective :)

I had a 1.5 ga15de Sunny (jap) last year and it was great in all respects. Definitely one I should have hung onto!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-diesel-nct-1-17-full-service-histo/13274307
    What would folk think of this and price? What to check? I need an economical motor...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-diesel-nct-1-17-full-service-histo/13274307
    What would folk think of this and price? What to check? I need an economical motor...

My only concern would be the NCT. It's been a while since it was carried out. Looking through them, there are others with newer NCT and similar mileage, but maybe not as close to view depending where you are based

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A 90s Toyota Carina that's been around the world 10 times (400k km) for €2,450 asking?

*unsubscribes*

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Chains on that are it's biggest problem, next in line is the manifold cracking and poisoning you.
    Apart frrom that they are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

'06 Legacy 4WD, auto, NCT 11/17, taxed until the end of next month, asking €1,995

YTAzMmI1ZGZhMDcyN2UxYmIxNmYxNTM4NWIwMDU2YWNsUnpOvL_2JdAoqjNWSmnHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTk0ODgyNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

Now honestly, would any of ye prefer to spend hundreds more, struggle to find insurance just to own / drive that Carina every day?

• Advertisement

Those Sunnys were great cars(much better than even the 95-00 almera) and that engine was one of the most reliable engines ever made. They weren't very lively though(compared to a corolla e10) partly because of the way they were geared. They were also a bit sour on fuel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement