Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

'05 Mercedes S-class

S350, NCT 05/17. Claimed one owner (can't see reg, so can't verify any of this). Probably an original Irish car, low mileage.

ODBlOTQzNWM2M2U3MzYwZGJmNmFkNzE0ODk3NDdmOTkhUyRxmSspvahmQPyt-m8PaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjA3MTY2OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

Cheaper than a Toyota Carina. Only in Ireland :p

E90 BMW - I doubt he'll refuse €2k in cash!

ZWRjZGYzNmQzZDA2NDQ0NzU1NzFiMjhkYTM3MjA1YmUVwvKfm_s9EkJS9oKwM2qIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTc5ODAzNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

^^^ He was a bit economic with the truth about his NCT. It expired over a week ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

jharr100 wrote: »
    The E46 is a nice comfy bus alright, I had a 318i touring of that era, but the auto box was dog slow. I think yours is the 1.9 too? You'll find the manual box much better in those and a nice refined drive.
    The only things I had problems with were coolant leaks from the expansion tank, suspension bushes and tie rods at NCT time, and I think a crankshaft sensor causing rough running.

Happy motoring!

Yep, two days in and a low coolant level light popped on, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, if it turns out to be a leak from the expansion tank, would this cost much to replace?

My father in law is calling tomorrow, he is a qualified mechanic but doesn't work as one anymore, knows his stuff though so will ask him to have a look for me. Would it be a hard job to do ourselves if it turns out to be this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

@unkel that S class is astonishing value. Great find

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

W123-80's wrote: »
    For anyone old/young enough..😠Relive the glory days of late 90's Gran Turismo.!
    Tax March '17
    Test April '17
    Very low mileage claim
    Asking €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-demio-1-3-taxed-until-3-17-nct-until-4-17/13171708
    My wife had two of those, one after the other, over 9 years.
    I didn't like them at all but she loved it, small car but tons of space.
    She then changed to a Mazda 2, the updated Demio, 1.5 ltr, and then wrote it off, 3 months later in the winter ice.
    She then moved to a 4x4 Suzuki Ignis, broadly a similar car to the Demio, a few more mod cons and the permanent four wheel drive is handy in the winter, plus another 1.5 engine, so it goes like the clappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Zjc0_M2_Q5_Zm_Fj_Nz_Zl_MTc1_OGY0_M2_Nm_OTNk_YTgw_NTg1_N2_Qdd_XYp.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-lexus-is-2-2-diesel/13077300

A first for bangernomics I'd say
    2006 lexus is220d
    Test till the end of may 17
    Tax till end of the month
    No recent change of owner
    Clean body
    Asking €1950
    Seller is also selling a c220cdi coupe

Eyes would wanna be taped open checking it over

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

We've the same 2.2 lump in the Auris and it isn't that economical unless you stick to 100. Anything over 120 and it just shoots through the roof.

The engine is horrible, but I suppose the car is still good value though. Fortunately Toyota have stopped making diesel engines and they source all their diesels from BMW now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

unkel wrote: »
    The engine is horrible, but I suppose the car is still good value though. Fortunately Toyota have stopped making diesel engines and they source all their diesels from BMW now.

they do ? i suspected toyota was going downhill. there's a lot better and more reliable out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

tony1980 wrote: »
    Yep, two days in and a low coolant level light popped on, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, if it turns out to be a leak from the expansion tank, would this cost much to replace?

My father in law is calling tomorrow, he is a qualified mechanic but doesn't work as one anymore, knows his stuff though so will ask him to have a look for me. Would it be a hard job to do ourselves if it turns out to be this?

Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to replace I would think if that's all it is. As a guide they seem to be around from €30 upwards on Ebay. There is a bit of ripping to putting them on. A decent mechanic should have job done in an hour or little over I'm guessing unless I'm totally off the mark. Obviously if you can do job yourself all the better. If it is just a leak from the expansion tank you should be counting yourself a lucky man I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

ZTdlMDhhODk3NjcxM2M3YmY4ZWIwZDFmMWI3ZTMwZTWH6jL1Ffi9gMGz9Y55SM-aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MDI3MjYxMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-sport-2-2-i-ctdi/11153092

2006 Civic 2.2 CDTI asking €1,950 from a garage with not a lot of test.
    Pretty cheap for one of these but not for everyone with 200k miles - would nearly want to see a well documented service history myself. Lack of leather would also disappoint but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Ya over the course of their production the 1.4 d4d and 2.0d4d lumps were massively unsuccessful and unreliable ;)

The only blip in the last 10 years came in the form of early 1adftv 2.0 and 2adfhv 2.2 suffering some head issues on certain batches but goodwill warranties were extended and many units replaced free of charge something vw or BMW never saw fit to do when it came to some of their own engines.

Whatever way ya cut it in 2005 a 177bhp 4cyl diesel was impressive not horrible they sound unrefined yes but so do most diesels. A massively long 6th gear made the car feel flat but if ya drop a gear before overtaking it's quite obvious it's not.

The sniping and b1tching over different marques creeping into the thread is growing tiring.

diesel was impressive not horrible

Sounds pretty horrible to me. But I guess that's a personal thing, I'm no diesel fan ;)

And anyway you and I can't really argue with Mr Toyota deciding no longer to make his own diesels and that he is better off buying them from BMW, can we?

Sounds pretty horrible to me. But I guess that's a personal thing, I'm no diesel fan ;)

And anyway you and I can't really argue with Mr Toyota deciding no longer to make his own diesels and that he is better off buying them from BMW, can we?

Sure can't ;)

Tbh it's all down to cost and market share imo, Toyota's largest market areas Asia and the US aren't too keen on diesels so developing an all new line of engines to keep up with the competition in Europe wouldnt be too cost effective much easier outsource. (Toyota's own engine designs were nearly 15 years old)

Germany is the home of cutting edge diesel engineering whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debateable :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

There's some seriously tempting metal here for somebody like me who spends most of my time in the UK at the moment. Would it be a massive ball ache to buy that spotless A8 and drive it straight to the UK with0the intention of registering, putting an MOT on it and driving on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Never knew they put the 2.2 in the Auris. What bhp is it?

180bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Sounds pretty horrible to me. But that's a personal thing, I'm no diesel fan ;)

Toyota have made some of the best diesel engines. Also mr Toyota does still makes his own diesel engines. The 1.4d4d for example is still in production and is a fantastic little unit in terms of refinement and reliability.

The reason they stopped using the 2.0d4d was not because bmw make better units(they don't) but because toyotas own unit wouldn't meet new emmisions standards and developing a new unit would not be cost effective for fuel type toyota is moving away from.

You will see that they are now putting their time into hydrogen technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ZTdlMDhhODk3NjcxM2M3YmY4ZWIwZDFmMWI3ZTMwZTWH6jL1Ffi9gMGz9Y55SM-aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MDI3MjYxMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Pretty cheap for one of these but not for everyone with 200k miles - would nearly want to see a well documented service history myself. Lack of leather would also disappoint but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

First 7th gen Civic in here? Nice car, but I am biased.

€1k tax is a pain in the bollocks, the internet raves about the diesel but any of the ones I drove were average as far as I could feel.

That said, I just paid 3x times that for a 07 petrol model so now I don't really know how to feel :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

You're driving a petrol. Feel good :D

Feel even better when you see who's selling it ...

I've always said it's a real shame we didn't see more of Toyota's GR v6 petrol engines in affordable sporty cars there are some real peaches in that particular engine family.

And now at the risk of causing all out war here's another Toyota

Zj_Vm_ZTdm_Nz_Zm_Mz_Mz_Nj_E3_MDVk_Mm_Q3_Y2_Y2_NWMy_OWNm_MTa_I7_WX0.jpg

Yz_Jh_ZDIy_Mm_Ux_Nj_Fi_YWJl_OGYy_Zjk4_YTYy_YTY5_Mz_Rl_NDNwe_U7_H.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-celica-long-nct-amp-tax/13076146
    Gen6 celica st202
    Test till the end of Oct 17
    Tax till the end of feb17
    Brilliant 3sge engine
    Looks clean all round
    Recent brake work, air-conditioning and supposedly some service history
    Asking €1650

Quick someone find a big cuddly volvo or saab to restore order :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just tried to get a quote on that celica... NO! was the answer :/

FIDL, 39M, 6NCB, 0PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

The thread really grinds my gears, perfectly good motors going to waste because of the F****** insurance industry. :angry:

I seriously doubt anyone can obtain insurance on that Celica

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Never knew they put the 2.2 in the Auris. What bhp is it?

Its the d-cat version in the auris and I believe also the avensis.
    Ours has 177 and 400nm of torque so its a fairly nippy car and 6th seems to work well from 100 up.
    Only downside is the consumption but I can live with it.
    Can surprise a few drivers tbh especially cause most are the 1.4 variant.
    We were also lucky to get the top of the range model so it has everything apart from parking sensors :(

Gen6 celica st202P

At last a nice Toyota. Makes a difference to all that junk on the last few pages :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

€3950 in the window. So he's halved the price. Be doggy wide I'd say.

Plus, he has a rep for being a bit of a key hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Toyota have made some of the best diesel engines..

I'm surprised that you would say this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just tried to get a quote on that celica... NO! was the answer :/

FIDL, 39M, 6NCB, 0PP.

That's the sole reason why such fine motors are so cheap... Wouldn't it qualify as a classic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement