Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm guessing if it wasn't a Japanese import it would be possible to insure it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I waiting for a broker to ring back but that would be monday I'd say. Just curious to see if there is anyone out there that would insure me on such a car. As it's getting harder for us now, and the track will eventually be the only place to enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hal1 wrote: »
    I waiting for a broker to ring back but that would be monday I'd say. Just curious to see if there is anyone out there that would insure me on such a car. As it's getting harder for us now, and the track will eventually be the only place to enjoy them.

It might be much easier if you want to switch an insurance you already have. Getting a new one would be a nightmare, it is an insurance combo:
    * JDM
    * High performance
    * Oldish, low value
    * Flagged model

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I don't plan on being 'king of the cone' tho :o. I'd settle for a classic policy if I could get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I'm just glad I'm over 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Jaysus, I was just glad when I hit 25!
    Classic policies are the only way to go these days, no shame in it really. They cost shag all and it's much easier to get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CianRyan wrote: »
    Classic policies are the only way to go these days, no shame in it really. They cost shag all and it's much easier to get a quote.

I just added a 17 year old Porsche to my classic insurance. Fully comprehensive, break down assist, driving other cars, etc. Cost me €50 for the next 8 months :)

Like how could you bait it?
    Not with a big bloody shtick could ya bait that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Jaysus, I was just glad when I hit 25!

What would be the set age on the car, to avail of classic insurance? I'd also assume you'd be required to have a different car which you would be insured for daily commuting?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

job seeker wrote: »
    What would be the set age on the car, to avail of classic insurance? I'd also assume you'd be required to have a different car which you would be insured for daily commuting?

First Ireland told me the car needed to be 20years old or over, and you need to have a another insurance policy as your main driver.

I'm not too sure what the rules are the companies up north, but I have heard of some people insuring 15 year old cars with autoline.

Can anyone tell me if any crowd are insuring classics as your daily driver anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-alfa-romeo-147-nct-11-17/13476091

ZWExYmJlMjM2MGMxN2IyOTFlZTlmMzZjZmE0NWU0NjcOiscnJMdxVMroT3v33iI3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjM1MzY3MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Idk why the plates have been removed, but an alleged NCT to 11/17 and low miles make this an attractive €1650 buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

For how long more, though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e36-compact-1-9ti-2000-dakar-yellow/13309973?campaign=3

OTdjZWY2ZjhiM2FjNjZiMjc2ZTE0OTQ4OTc4ZTM5ODZ0wCvJC0_5FB59v7_k3DGAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjMzODgxMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A bit pricey but a guaranteed future classic. Individual m sport 318ti with NCT to 10/17 €1800

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e36-compact-1-9ti-2000-dakar-yellow/13309973?campaign=3

OTdjZWY2ZjhiM2FjNjZiMjc2ZTE0OTQ4OTc4ZTM5ODZ0wCvJC0_5FB59v7_k3DGAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjMzODgxMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A bit pricey but a guaranteed future classic. Individual m sport 318ti with NCT to 10/17 €1800
    That has to be the ugliest BMW I have ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

+1 daker yellow too and individual spec sport looks great!

Would hit it every day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Never liked the E36, particularly not the compact. Isn't their suspension based on the ancient E30? Brutal colour too. Still a nice find and it looks like is was very well cared for. I'd say the car had a lot of love all its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

unkel wrote: »
    Never liked the E36, particularly not the compact. Isn't their suspension based on the ancient E30? Brutal colour too. Still a nice find and it looks like is was very well cared for. I'd say the car had a lot of love all its life.

E30 rear suspension set up, e36 up front.
    Supposedly one of the best bmw's for drifting as despite being a "compact" they actally have quite a long wheelbase and the e30 suspension setup is easy to promote oversteer with.

That and the back of the car is only good for bouncing off walls.
    I can't give any love for those Compacts.

That and the back of the car is only good for bouncing off walls.
    I can't give any love for those Compacts.

They're one of the only bmw's I don't really like standard but modded they look quite nice, e36 compact rally cars look very well imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I get a feeling that these videos will go down well in that case...

Obligatory banger - More than double what I paid for mine, with a much shorter NCT on it too....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-peugeot-206-sw/12973624

Mj_Q2_Mz_Qz_NWE4_MDQx_N2_Q1_Nj_Mw_Nz_Fi_Nzk4_Mj_Qy_NTRm_Yj_Bb_VEyk.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-vauxhall-vectra-3-0-cdti-elite-v6-top-spec/12959080

Post 08 tax v6 diesel vectra
    185bhp Isuzu engine supposedly more reliable in these than the saabs where they had cooling problems.
    Test till feb17
    Some sort of dealer selling it
    It'd wanna be well checked over think these are a part belt part chain design so that'd want looking at but either way it's a lot of car for the money
    Asking €2200 but it'll definitely haggle into bangernomics budget

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mj_Q2_Mz_Qz_NWE4_MDQx_N2_Q1_Nj_Mw_Nz_Fi_Nzk4_Mj_Qy_NTRm_Yj_Bb_VEyk.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-vauxhall-vectra-3-0-cdti-elite-v6-top-spec/12959080

Post 08 tax v6 diesel vectra
    185bhp Isuzu engine supposedly more reliable in these than the saabs where they had cooling problems.
    Test till feb17
    Some sort of dealer selling it
    It'd wanna be well checked over think these are a part belt part chain design so that'd want looking at but either way it's a lot of car for the money
    Asking €2200 but it'll definitely haggle into bangernomics budget

It is a Vauxhall which means it is a UK import. Need to do the usual mileage checks.

It is a Vauxhall which means it is a UK import. Need to do the usual mileage checks.

It's easier check the milage on a UK car then an Irish car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Diesel Merc Coupe. Sacrilege for some, either way its the 3.0 litre version, not the 2.2.

NCT to Feb 2017, €2000, excellent colour scheme.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-124-diesel-coupe/12730544

NzRiM2FkM2FjMDI3MTExNjgzZTgwZjAzZWJmZGJiMWOkQ4WGCmcQPD852ksDXBkuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODQ0MDg2Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Wheels don't suit it IMO, but they're easily changed.

NCT to Feb 2017, €2300, so could be got for €2000.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-w124-e220/12421747

YWYzNzdkZTE5NDAyODllOThhOTk2YjIxNWJmMTE4NGIFb4Hab8XKFRB8PNJQAVgkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Njg4ODE5MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

unkel wrote: »
    I just added a 17 year old Porsche to my classic insurance. Fully comprehensive, break down assist, driving other cars, etc. Cost me €50 for the next 8 months :)
    You can't just dangle that piece of info without at least showing us some pics! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The air con is a major plus as it was the manual cabin fan which made my one a financial write off. You'd want to check it for the bulkhead issue and, if it's not been fitted, add another couple of hundred for the brace kit. I believe there's a cheaper version available but I'd be asking Dara McCormack for a quote about putting one in before I'd rely on an older 9-3 as a daily.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    You can't just dangle that piece of info without at least showing us some pics! ;)

397757.jpg

Was getting dark, but you get the idea. Will take some more pictures in the next few weeks. Just back from a spin down the back roads around here :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement