Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

cadaliac wrote: »
    Problem is, you could get stuck in France. It could turn out to be a nightmare holiday with all 4 wheels locked and it untowable. It can only be lifted.
    There's a good reason they are cheap, allowing for big tax and running costs too

I was reading before, that older S class Mercs suffer air suspension problems when on long boat trips. due to waves etc.

So a trip to france meh, mightn't even leave the ferry port.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Funny thing is that when you are driving in France or anywhere else around that area, no one would ever believe that you paid 1500e for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

bear1 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that when you are driving in France or anywhere else around that area, no one would ever believe that you paid 1500e for it.
    And they be even more shocked that yearly tax of 1809 euro is more than value of car.

bear1 wrote: »
    And they be even more shocked that yearly tax of 1809 euro is more than value of car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

visual wrote: »

Only in Ireland....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-sonata-2006-for-sale-2yrs-nct/13597564

NTI0MDExZmQ0MDhkNmM0NTQ5MjkzOGMzNjE1ODAzZjGhsFqnU5Y27-1HB770ETSfaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzAxNzM4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Diesel, with NCT to 4/18 and suspiciously low miles for €1700. Bland, but I suppose it does its job..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-mini-cooper-s/13595094

ZjNlMjNiMzAzMmE0MmM2MzI5MDk2N2QzYWY2M2JjNmXpt1Msy5EZpvraZC-meyvhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzAwMzY2N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

So its only NCT'd to December, and the miles are high but its got tax to 3/17, a stainless steel exhaust and its a Cooper S! €1950

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-mini-cooper-s/13595094

So its only NCT'd to December, and the miles are high but its got tax to 3/17, a stainless steel exhaust and its a Cooper S! €1950

Is there any way of finding if that's already been NCT'd and failed. I'd be highly suspicious of it. You can have it tested any day next week in any amount of centres.

Eyes wide open, but nice wagon all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

did it get a new exhaust & cat because it was failing on emissions.. only to fail on emissions again and now they're selling it on?

complete guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'm not sure if this subaru has been posted before but ticks a few winter boxes. Even if it's a 1.6 it would be a good buy for someone. I'd consider it myself.

Nct 8/17 €1750

OWE0Y2ZmOTE2YzU4Zjc3MmVmNGNlOTgwYmFkNjE3NGEOY5ZPgjulmr1LxnZ1uw1WaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTk0MTg5MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-maxima-3-0se-4dr-nct-07-2017/13589031

YTliZDJmZjc2NzFhNDU5Yzc4YjMyYzZiMzY0ZjExNTO2hqf2NyY3UEZmRvBPpGNraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182Mjk2OTc1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Late night DD trawl...3.0(!) auto Maxima with NCT to 7/17 for €485. Comfy cruiser for the money

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

visual wrote: »

Well, there are a lot of Dutch tourist every year in France so they are used to stories like this.
    That S class would set you back €399 in Holland. Every 3 months....

Add to that a fuel price of 15/20 cent more per liter.

You can see here what your avarage bangernomics car would cost you in motortax in The Netherlands.

Unfortunately only in Dutch but pretty easy to work out

Type: personenauto
    Province: Noord en Zuid Holland are the most expensive ones
    Brandstof (fuel); benzine, diesel
    And then you are left with weight.

My own 13 your old car that sets me back €540 a year here, would cost me €800+ there.

When i bought it, i looked for the same car in Holland, would have cost me 2x the money i paid here when i took the cheapest available with miles and the likes about the same.

No idea really as it comes to insurance because it has been a while since i last insured a car in Holland but i doubt i could get it cheaper than the 369 i pay this year.

Dutch NCT price is comparable but done by dealers and garages who of course have every benefit to fail you so they can fix it for you...

So for me, as a Dutch person, driving a car here is really cheap compared to what i was used to. Which makes basically any car here bangernomics for me :)

Roads are better maintained but as a country massively depending on transport (biggest port i nthe world, gateway to Europe and all that) they would be foolish no to.
    Would be nice if the foreign trucks ruining the roads would actually also pay their share.
    Which they dont. No toll, no motortax and cheap ass diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

I often dream of driving to the south of France in a post 08 Korean econobox as it depreciates by 1,500 euro every six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

inforfun wrote: »
    Well, there are a lot of Dutch tourist every year in France so they are used to stories like this.
    That S class would set you back €399 in Holland. Every 3 months....

You can see here what your avarage bangernomics car would cost you in motortax in The Netherlands.

My own 13 your old car that sets me back €540 a year here, would cost me €800+ there.

When i bought it, i looked for the same car in Holland, would have cost me 2x the money i paid here when i took the cheapest available with miles and the likes about the same.

No idea really as it comes to insurance because it has been a while since i last insured a car in Holland but i doubt i could get it cheaper than the 369 i pay this year.

Dutch NCT price is comparable but done by dealers and garages who of course have every benefit to fail you so they can fix it for you...

So for me, as a Dutch person, driving a car here is really cheap compared to what i was used to. Which makes basically any car here bangernomics for me :)

Roads are better maintained but as a country massively depending on transport (biggest port i nthe world, gateway to Europe and all that) they would be foolish no to.
    Would be nice if the foreign trucks ruining the roads would actually also pay their share.
    Dutch public transport system actually works though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

They do actually. They have to buy a Eurovignette each year, which covers using Dutch roads.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    That S class would set you back 399 in Holland. Every 3 months....

My own 13 your old car that sets me back 540 a year here, would cost me 800+ there.

Dutch public transport system actually works though

Have been there a few times and it is leaps ahead of transport here interconnecting rail trams busses even the taxies where much better and drivers acted and looked more professional.

But if we are to compare it should be with countries that hold private motor transport in higher regard over bicycles or even public transport.

The reason large engine cars are are worthless is because they are taxed to such an extent very few can tax them. I paid the max tax of 1809 on a jeep for 5 years when I went to sell it no one wanted it. It was in perfect condition diesel leather heated seats but it sold for less than a years tax in end. Just like the SL that I'm very tempted in buying.

I think a fairer comparison would be with UK. But at end of day it doesn't matter as I live here and I'm really tempted by the SL. Any idea what real world mpg would be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Red Kev wrote: »
    Is there any way of finding if that's already been NCT'd and failed. I'd be highly suspicious of it. You can have it tested any day next week in any amount of centres.

Eyes wide open, but nice wagon all the same.

Well you can check if it has failed in the last month or so.
    Just put the reg into

https://www.ncts.ie/

reg is 02KK4484 and it just says "Periodic Inspection", so it hasn't failed within the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I think he means it'd be more comfortable sitting on a bucket

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-jts-166-bhp/13601882?campaign=3

NmIwYmI3OWY4ODlmZDk3YTlmN2ExMDNiMDRmNTQ0MDm3QD-crSgWNq49JkeYIEvcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzAzNzg3OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I really like the look of this. 2.0 JTS in a nice colour w leather and cool alloys, NCT to 5/17 €750

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A 159 1.9 JTS for sale here for €1400 in Waterford. Nct'd until 2/17.

NWQ3NTFjMTdjNzg5Yzc2OGI5ZmNkY2U4ZTViZWZhZmVT-cQM8obttTqbWwFmv4WoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182Mjk5NjM2MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

I really like the look of this. 2.0 JTS in a nice colour w leather and cool alloys, NCT to 5/17 €750

This lad wants money in a hurry, I reckon you could be away with that tonight for closer to 500. Get the belt done straight away and u surely couldn't go wrong?

Someone talk me out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Really ****ed off with the insurance situation at the moment. The MR2 seems almost uninsurable on either a classic or conventional policy.

Anyway, bangernomics MR2 up for sale.

97, Jap, N/A, white, tax until 01/17, NCT 06/17, fair condition, needs a wheel bearing but that's about it.

Would like a couple of hundred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

surely auto line would quote ya?
    Or is it the fact its not 20 years old yet?

No, I asked and he said the only thing preventing it was that I wasn't 30 lol. Jap, no problem, only a 97, no problem once I had a daily. MR2, rear engine, prone to spinning, bit of a deathtrap, no problem. Not being 30, problem!

Now at 17, being told to wait until you're 21 before getting a quickish car I can somewhat see the logic in. And then at 21 being told you have to be 25 to drive a performance car I can barely barely almost agree with, but at 27 being told i'd have to be 30... what could that be other than excuse making? What is the risk difference between a 27 year old and a 30 year old, all other values being the same?

I have a full license, 10 years NCB and another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Autoline quote for under 20 years. Even some Japanese cars or so I have heard from others. Not cheap though, as in a couple of hundred per year cheap. And you need to have a normal vehicle insured in your own name too

Surely you've tried Autoline, TFB?

Edit - just saw your post. That's ridiculous in fairness that you need to be 30 :(

How about taking out a normal policy? If you get onto a good broker, they might be able to find you an insurer that will clone the NCB from your other car. You'd be in business then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If it was me I'd go the third party extension route.
    It really says something when a 27 year old can't insure a car properly.
    I haven't hit the 25 mark yet so I'm used to getting screwed, my premium has rose every year since I've qualified despite earning an extra year NCB each time renewal is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Now at 17, being told to wait until you're 21 before getting a quickish car I can somewhat see the logic in. And then at 21 being told you have to be 25 to drive a performance car I can barely barely almost agree with, but at 27 being told i'd have to be 30...

I went through the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If it was me I'd go the third party extension route.

Don't do that. If you have a (big) claim and the insurer starts digging (which they will) you'll be in deep sh1t.

• Advertisement

It's madness. I was sure I was into Classicnomics.

I think classic is the only route, i've tried a few companies for a regular policy and just been point blanc refused, Jap, "old" etc and in fairness to Autoline the didn't bat an eyelid at it being Jap etc.

I'd want a disc in the window, I could never relax if using third party extension alone.

Will give it one last roll of the dice tomorrow but i'm not optimistic. Just want shut of it if I cant insure it. I have enough garden ornaments. I was looking forward to enjoying it. The Civic is a grand daily for my commute but it's no fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement