Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Blatter wrote: »
    How much would tax and insurance set you back for a vehicle like that in Switzerland though?

Less than Ireland. Well, insurance about the same, but tax is much less. Altohugh it depends on the Kanton, a guy here pays 530chf a year for a 3.2 Audi A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Really ****ed off with the insurance situation at the moment. The MR2 seems almost uninsurable on either a classic or conventional policy.

Anyway, bangernomics MR2 up for sale.

97, Jap, N/A, white, tax until 01/17, NCT 06/17, fair condition, needs a wheel bearing but that's about it.

Would like a couple of hundred

Just going to quote/ bump this, i've exhausted every avenue and it's a no go. €500 or nearest offer Wicklow/ Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm surprised you couldn't find a broker who'd manage to get your NCB split?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Pm on the way tfb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

unkel wrote: »
    I'm surprised you couldn't find a broker who'd manage to get your NCB split?

It's a sure sign of fronting apparently.
    It's to minimise the national sport of 'fronting. Very few of us need/use 2 vehicles. A 2nd car is usually for the main use by a named driver who is probably the beneficial owner of the car. Why give additional discount to facilitate fraud
    CiniO wrote: »
    So why do they still deny NCB on second policy even if there are no named drivers on it?
    Because odds are that a call will come in shortly to add that 'occasional' driver, to either this vehicle or the original one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just going to quote/ bump this, i've exhausted every avenue and it's a no go. €500 or nearest offer Wicklow/ Dublin area.

Could you park it up then get it on a classic policy when it's 20yrs old in January?

Good idea but I'm afraid it probably won't make any difference. Autoline still want the owner to be 30 and first Ireland won't touch anything Japanese. But maybe other companies / brokers out there?

Tfb, you sound a bit defeatist. You absolutely sure you've tried all options?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

Not to everybody's taste but looks a nice clean car
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-primera-2002/13578612

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

darg wrote: »

He's giving that away cheap. I had an old model one a few years ago that I picked up for about €400 and drove for two years. Mighty yoke altogether. Not too sure if those are up to the level of the older ones, they seem a lot bigger so the 1.6 might be brutal in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Jayop wrote: »
    darg wrote: »

He's giving that away cheap. I had an old model one a few years ago that I picked up for about 400 and drove for two years. Mighty yoke altogether. Not too sure if those are up to the level of the older ones, they seem a lot bigger so the 1.6 might be brutal in them.

Had the bigger petrol version on hire for a few weeks there is no go in them at all. 1.6 would be miserable. It's not 1/2 the car of the older model. Although they do look much nicer.

Gear boxes are the weak point but at that price if it drove fine and changed gear smoothy then I wouldn't worry. No sure what mpg would be like in 1.6 as it's a big enough car to push down the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

visual wrote: »
    Had the bigger petrol version on hire for a few weeks there is no go in them at all. 1.6 would be miserable. It's not 1/2 the car of the older model. Although they do look much nicer.

Gear boxes are the weak point but at that price if it drove fine and changed gear smoothy then I wouldn't worry. No sure what mpg would be like in 1.6 as it's a big enough car to push down the road

Your bang on. I had one years ago. The 1.6 was very sluggish and the gear box went. Turning circle of a small bus too.

ray o wrote: »
    Your bang on. I had one years ago. The 1.6 was very sluggish and the gear box went. Turning circle of a small bus BOAT too.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Yes that is a better description alright. Come to think of it, the old City IMP bus went around small roundabouts cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-lexus-is-220d-loads-of-extras/13203931

YzE1OGI4NzQ0ZTdhM2Q2NjljNzk5NWRiYjdjMzY3NjNK92qJ4CnB2gv1BKEto4jfaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzMzNDE3MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Seems too cheap. IS220d with leather, sat nav etc and NCT to 12/17 for €1950

Dunno. Not a great engine & big miles & a grand to tax it. Good spec though and looks well kept. Price is about right, he should get a quick enough sale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

IS220d HG issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan/13596313

OGZl_ZWVi_ZTI2_ODY4_ZDVj_Nj_Ux_ZTRm_N2_Fh_ZDBh_NDk2_OTi_B6590.jpg

K10 micra tested till jan17
    Needs a bitta tlc but if it's relatively rust free it's not badly priced
    3dr and 5 speed so has the makings of being somewhat desirable
    €450

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

My own BMW 318Ci

399236.jpg

Linky

Very clean car, driving great. Taxed. Excellent condition.

BMW Factory Sport Suspension

Sports leather steering wheel

Automatic Air Conditioning (professionally refilled last month)

Park Distance Control

Beige leather

3 keys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

unkel wrote: »
    Good idea but I'm afraid it probably won't make any difference. Autoline still want the owner to be 30 and first Ireland won't touch anything Japanese. But maybe other companies / brokers out there?

Tfb, you sound a bit defeatist. You absolutely sure you've tried all options?

A bit defeatist, you could say that, yeah. I've rang every company under the sun and simply nobody will take me on. Either the car is too young for a classic policy, or i'm too young for a classic policy or the car is too old for a daily policy or the car is "too" imported for any policy.

I bought a taxed and tested, driving ok MR2 for less than a weeks wages and I couldn't use it, it's a sin.

Not to use a pathetic phrase but i'm finally old enough to be able to afford to run a second "fun" car and still young enough to do it with no big commitments like baby fanbois yet etc. and the only thing in my way is the insurance industry and it's draconian rules.

I cannot believe that someone with 10 years driving exp, full license and max NCB cannot insure a ****ing MR2 in this country!!

Anyway, sold to a boardsie, so hopefully he does well out of it.

Nice 3'er :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

my 03 a3 1.6

NDk2NjM3Njk0OTgzZDVlZWVmZTRjMDhiZDc1NDM5ZTcPqzw5c55PpMy31AimvkbZaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMGZmM2QyNTA0NGY0MDk0ZTM4Y2E5NDc2NTNjNjViZjc0ZjA3N2RjZjAwNjNhNDRiYTA5NDU1OWRjMjljMWY2My5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/audi/a3/audi-a3-1-6-new-nct-jan-18/11556456

nct to jan 18, new clutch, very good condition, 132k miles.

any thoughts on the price?

A disgrace TFB, the future of motoring in Ireland looks very grim indeed. At best we are looking a generation of stuff lost. Some of it I would consider the peak of reliability and engineers running the show, before marketing and accountants ousted them.

At worst, if things don't come around again then anything beyond 8 years will be scrapped in future. Would that be any great loss with most of the stuff from this century... personally I don't think so. It's the stuff from say 92 to 02 that I really like to see on the road but it's that group is most at risk.

nd wrote: »
    any thoughts on the price?

Nice car, I like the old skool 1.6 petrol (many people here don't :()

NCT '18 is encouraging (got my own car a 01/18 NCT yesterday too!)

Price a touch too high if you ask me. But then again, you have to start somewhere and allow for bargaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-lexus-is-220d-loads-of-extras/13203931

YzE1OGI4NzQ0ZTdhM2Q2NjljNzk5NWRiYjdjMzY3NjNK92qJ4CnB2gv1BKEto4jfaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzMzNDE3MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Seems too cheap. IS220d with leather, sat nav etc and NCT to 12/17 for €1950

That looks like it's the sel lad and we all know how great the sel is.
    The notorious 220 engine is its biggest enemy here
    Head gasket problems galore and even when fixed they are known to fail again.
    Then you've got that terrible 6th gear problem and it isnt an economical car.
    Space in the boot and rear isn't good either
    We've the same 2.2 in the auris and it's ****in terrible on fuel but great craic to drive tbh.

Aye the engine is crap, the (me wants to be a BMW 3-series too) car isn't great either, but it still is a lot of car for the money. Unique colour, kind of like light olive green metallic. I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I'd go for the 250 which was supposed to be a very good engine and if you really wanted to be economical you'd nearly match the 220. But why bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Is there anything to be said for buying all these soon to be classic cars and just putting them in a giant shed somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls430-se-2001-nct-03-17/13641848

2001 LS 430...comes with NCT mar 17 :) TAX november :(

Documented Lexus Service History :)

€ 1 1 9 5

NGI2NjMzNDI5OThiOTNkM2JlNGNmN2Q4NDYwMzc4NjBI5Z82QzZ8ABk5aMGATaRbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzI5NTIwMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

Essentially it's a sub 1k luxobarge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement