Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Was just gonna say I only passed by that GTV (well, the DS is what caught my eye) yesterday. Call me naive but to my mind the kind of person who owns an Alfa GTV and a Citroen DS is not the kind of person who skimps on maintaining the car..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exactly. Was going to mention the DS in my post (you can clearly see it in the ad) but forgot about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

unkel wrote: »
    You saw that I thanked it, before you thanked it yourself ;)

No that is incorrect, you had not thanked the post at that stage. If you had thanked it wouldnt be pending your approval.

Pretending you had thanked it is fairly pathetic, similar to the emojis.

You came back 4 or 5 hours after seeing my post to make the above statement.

Really dont want to debate this on thread, dont make an issue of it. Let it go.

You're right. I stand corrected! My bad.

Mixed you up with someone else. I was one of the earlier thankers of the post though yesterday :)

And I did thank your post straight after too :)

E46 coupé

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318ci-msport-just-nctd-absolute-pristine-cond-/13804324

Claimed low mileage and two owners from new.
    Just passed test until next summer.
    Apparently very tidy bodywork.

Id nearly prefer those seats to leather in an e46

• Advertisement

Very, very nice! I'm nearly tempted to get it myself. A "genuine offer" of say €1,100 might get it. And it's a steal at that. With the sport suspension the E46 coupe is probably the best driving 5 seater car available for bangernomics money

3 owners (in Ireland). I find the Alcantara more comfy than leather too, but it doesn't wear well.

Very, very nice! I'm nearly tempted to get it myself. A "genuine offer" of say €1,100 might get it. And it's a steal at that. With the sport suspension the E46 coupe is probably the best driving 5 seater car available for bangernomics money

3 owners (in Ireland). I find the Alcantara more comfy than leather too, but it doesn't wear well.

I have a serious horn for them lately.
    Driving a 16 year old 1.6 focus at the moment, cant see there being a huge jump in running costs.

Only thing stopping me is the e36 coupe I had a few years back that broke my heart. Different car I know but the pain is still raw from that one :)

Have you driven one? If not, go do that, it will make your mind up for ya fairly quickly :p

And anyways, what's the worst that could happen on a €1,100 car?

We've seen all sorts of interpretations and definitions of Bangernomics cars over the years. Here's mine: A bangernomics car should never break your heart. If something goes wrong that costs serious money to get fixed, just dump the car and get another one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Pre facelift 03'

Ugh...

A pre facelift car you say. How come this 318Ci has a 2l engine then? :)

• Advertisement

A pre facelift car you say. How come this 318Ci has a 2l engine then? :)

Because its a 318ci... Not a 318...

I'm sure you've forgotten more than I know about cars :)

I was under the impression the 318ci was a 2.0...

I don't know anything about the optical changes in the face lift model but what I do know is that the pre-facelift 318Ci has the 1.9l M43 engine and the facelift 318Ci 2.0l N42 engine (more power but not as reliable)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

I don't know anything about the optical changes in the face lift model but what I do know is that the pre-facelift 318Ci has the 1.9l M43 engine and the facelift 318Ci 2.0l N42 engine (more power but not as reliable)

I know nothing about engine changes but that coupe has a prefacelift front & rear end on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

Intriguing stuff :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

For who??

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Doesn't wear well is right. The car in the ad has the same tear mine does on the drivers seat. It's where you rub against it getting in and out. Been meaning to find some way of fixing it before it gets too bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

You'll always know the facelift by looking at the piece of bodywork trim below the headlights. The 1.9 M43 was in all the pre facelifts but as far as I know some 2ltr lumps were also fitted to '00 and '01 non facelift models.

Edit: Just noticed that car is pre facelift. The coupe didn't come in facelift until later '03.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

what I do know is that the pre-facelift 318Ci has the 1.9l M43 engine and the facelift 318Ci 2.0l N42 engine (more power but not as reliable)

M43 b18 found in e36's was generally very reliable but the m43 b19 found in prefacelift e46's wasn't too reliable at all, head gasket issues are well documented. The n42 while no pillar of reliability either still had an improved head/head gasket design which sees it as a generally preferred engine over the m43 b19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Tax till April 17 and Nct till January 17

Interior is horrible though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-728-i-future-classic-long-taxnct/13104479

Oh Jaysus that E38 started off at what, about €4k earlier this year? You can see from the description ("and a long NCT") that it has been for sale for a very long time as the NCT has only 7 weeks left. From the recent sharp price drops you couldn't help think the seller is sick of selling it and just wants rid at this stage. Could be worth a sneaky offer. About €450 tax left on it too. Short NCT would be a bit of a worry to me...

Saw it at a show recently and it does look well with the matching period green / petrol leather interior :)

Limerick Man would love it, pity he isn't around here much any more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Oh Jaysus that E38 started off at what, about €4k earlier this year? You can see from the description ("and a long NCT") that it has been for sale for a very long time as the NCT has only 7 weeks left. From the recent sharp price drops you couldn't help think the seller is sick of selling it and just wants rid at this stage. Could be worth a sneaky offer. About €450 tax left on it too. Short NCT would be a bit of a worry to me...

Saw it at a show recently and it does look well with the matching period green / petrol leather interior :)

Limerick Man would love it, pity he isn't around here much any more

What, as in throw a load of petrol over it and watch it burn :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-sporting/13872856

NmFhY2M2YWM5ZjkzYTVkMTM1YjJkNzdiZGU5YmYyZTAFmrOiDEiIrxwED2AhuIHeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NDU0MjQzNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A bit rough around the edges but wearing its 135k miles well I think. 6 speed Sporting with NCT to 5/17 and tax to 12/16 for €600...surely you'd get it for €500, a bargain at that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Tax till April 17 and Nct till January 17

Interior is horrible though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-728-i-future-classic-long-taxnct/13104479

I love that interior personally so many toys, I wish I had a badass period giant phone in my 97 bangernomics daily.
    A lot of car for not a lot of cash especially for tight folks like me who hate paying motor tax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320-diesel-bargain-with-nct/13808462

MTYz_Nj_Bk_MDIy_OWUx_Zjlm_MGEz_MGI3_Yz_Vk_Njgz_MDU3_YTFXJ8j5.jpg

At the risk of taking the proverbial p1ss at this stage but here's another cheap e46 :P
    Facelift 320d es spec so nothing fancy
    but 180k miles on the clock and just 2 owners

Owner has his full name down as well so just a few things that point to a genuine car which isnt too common when looking at older diesels.

Pics aren't great though but what's shown looks fairly clean.
    Asking €975

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Few things more expensive than a cheap BMW lads. E39's, E46's are all at that age and budget where they just inhale money (the E39's at least anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah yeah, but just ignore the traction control light and the clunky suspension and keep driving it till it stops! Don't fall in love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but just ignore the traction control light and the clunky suspension and keep driving it till it stops! Don't fall in love.

Sorry, yes on a €900 one I agree with you. Drive until the thing will drive no more!

My point was more to the €1500-€2000 models.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement