Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,084 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Nice bit of poke in those 2.0l passats as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

What's that 2ltr petrol like in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Slow and underpowered. It'll move you along nicely, but that's about it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There's not much to love about those Cougars imo. It's like they wanted to correct all the the problems with the Probe but made it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-maxima-2-0/13889204

ZjgxYTUwZTAwYWY2NmJmYjNjNDA5MWQ4MTY0ZDYxM2EbuDIa_tTxNILvZ0ukib1uaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NDYzMjU1Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A nice old thing with NCT to 6/17 and its taxed till December also. I wonder if it actually has 45,000 miles? Whatever the miles, at €495 you couldn't go too far wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's like an Almere with an underactive thyroid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-car-10-month-nct/13889411

Ym_Q3_M2_Yw_Mz_Ax_ZGJk_YWFi_ZDFj_Nj_A1_OGM4_NWY1_MDAy_NDZ1_Qy3_H.jpg

Demio
    Test till September 17
    And looks fairly straight
    Asking €270

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Demio: lower + tint + boso wheels = profit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-car-10-month-nct/13889411

Ym_Q3_M2_Yw_Mz_Ax_ZGJk_YWFi_ZDFj_Nj_A1_OGM4_NWY1_MDAy_NDZ1_Qy3_H.jpg

Demio
    Test till September 17
    And looks fairly straight
    Asking €270

That is an excellent find. If I needed a car at the minute and on the cheap I'd be all over that

205 in the yard too, seller is already my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pointless posting older cars as anybody I called for a insurance quote or tried online refused me. 2001 is the cut off for most.

Nah its not, it's hard if you're young but I had no trouble getting quotes on anything older a few weeks back when I got some notions..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Pointless posting older cars as anybody I called for a insurance quote or tried online refused me. 2001 is the cut off for most.

It's tough but not impossible
    When insurance was grand say about 2 years ago that demio woulda been up for closer to €1270 so there's both good and bad ramifications

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Nah its not, it's hard if you're young but I had no trouble getting quotes on anything older a few weeks back when I got some notions..

Were the quotes extortionate though? Say versus what you might expect to pay on a comparable model less than 10 yrs old. Which insurance companies/ brokers may I be as bold as to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've no experience with Japanese cars, but I managed to get 5 or 6 low value 15+ year old cars on classic insurance this year so far. As in about €200-€350 fully comprehensive. The 15 year rule is gone now with the company I'm with for new customers so you'd be out of luck there, but there's a company up North, autoline, that still insures 15+ year old cars as classics, but their premiums are not that low. Probably also don't cover Japanese cars though, but you'll have to try for yourself

And in all of this, it's tough for young people getting any reasonable quotes like this. It's not really that different from what it was say 5 or 10 years ago, is it? You need to be old (over 30) with over 10 years no claims bonus, to get a reasonable insurance quote. Same as 10 years ago.

You'll probably have to do what all of us did: drive little Japanese 1l sh1tboxes for a few years until your NCB is substantial enough to let you move on to a more interesting car...

Thanks unkel. I'm in my mid 30's have a full ncb with clean driving license so there should be no real issues from that point of view.

Presumably when you mention that you managed to get quotes in the region of €200 - €350 for the low value 15 yr old plus cars on classic policies they were on the basis of having a policy on another car running concurrently being your first car?

My question was hypothetical more than anything carrying on the topic in hand. My own situation is I'm knocking about in a 2004 bread and butter Corolla that I picked up for handy enough money last Feb. I wouldn't mind changing to something more interesting again early next yr (maybe at renewal time end of Feb). To do this I wouldn't necessarily need to have 2 cars - only carrying myself for the very most part, no family or reason to ferry around a squad of fellas ever much etc.! Would find it hard to justify the expense of running 2 cars - motor tax; maintenance and of course while a relatively small premium it is an extra cost.

From that point of view I was just wondering if on a bangernomics budget I'd do better overall looking at cars even less than 15 yrs old and maybe even less than 10 yrs old.... Struggled getting quotes on the 04' Corolla in Feb and the broker I went with told me I would have done a lot better if the car was say a 07'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I still stand by this. I tried to get a insurance quote on two older cars and was refused. You guys are getting quotes as classic cars where by you already have a current daily driver. I am looking to get cover on a older car as a daily and am getting refused.

• Advertisement

My daily is a 1998 2.0 turbo jap import, Find me something more difficult to insure...

It's possible to insure older stuff, you just have to be persistent and call every insurance company and broker in the land.

I was recently getting quotes for all sorts - 99 audi a4 tdi, 97 corolla, a 94 carina - granted they were all about the 1k mark but that's pretty much a flat rate for anything for me at the moment so while it is extortionate - its the norm. Going up in years made no odds - 1k for a 07 c5 HDI.

I'm 27, 9 year full licence & full ncb.

In short - if we didn't post stuff older than 10 years old, this would be a shíte thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

My insurance jumped €1300 this year. 04 BMW 320, one year NCB...so ya know ye're not too bad off.

My insurance jumped €1300 this year. 04 BMW 320, one year NCB...so ya know ye're not too bad off.

Presumably when you mention that you managed to get quotes in the region of €200 - €350 for the low value 15 yr old plus cars on classic policies they were on the basis of having a policy on another car running concurrently being your first car?

Nope. The family car is insured in my wife's name. But it was crucial that I was a named driver on her policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In fairness lads talk of insurance is for somewhere else. When I get my license my budget for buying a car ain't gonna be the price tag alone. I've considered up to 1.5k in addition to a budget of up to 2k for a car. We're just going to have to accept that for what it is.

In fairness lads talk of insurance is for somewhere else. When I get my license my budget for buying a car ain't gonna be the price tag alone. I've considered up to 1.5k in addition to a budget of up to 2k for a car. We're just going to have to accept that for what it is.

When you get a licence? Good luck trying to get anything around €1500.

This is my "2nd year" out on my own despite having 9 years previous NCB and my insurance renewal quote was €2380.

unkel wrote: »
    Nope. The family car is insured in my wife's name. But it was crucial that I was a named driver on her policy.

Again 2 cars though unkel whatever way you look at it and guessing your family needs 2 cars anyway. I wouldn't really have the luxury of being able to avail of such an arrangement as I am me, myself and Ismile.png

I guess a cheap runabout then John, maybe a 1l Micra or something like that, that you insure but that you don't really use?

unkel wrote: »
    I guess a cheap runabout then John, maybe a 1l Micra or something like that, that you insure but that you don't really use?

It would need to be less than 15 yrs old and ideally under 10 unkel. It would probably be a case of buying a "newish" car for the sake of justifying an older bangernomics. Sort of defeats the purpose of the whole concept I would think and also not sure if it would amount to insurance fraud in reality?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-long-test-passat/13900305
    Passat 04'
    1.9 TDI;
    170k miles;
    Timing belt changed 6k miles ago
    Tested until 06/17.
    Asking €1,400

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement