Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I wrapped the six/four around a telephone pole. I said oh brother, throw it in the gutter and go buy another.

Anyone know the song them two lines are from.

Oh, I thought you said song...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

mazda 6 2006 83k New Nct till 02/2018
    €1,495

MmU1MzdiMGM4Zjc5MjFjODgwY2QzMjhhZTc0N2IyNWHmGcPcgdqn-Ii2kMcgrKIEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NDc3OTQ1OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A bit tatty, but mechanically sound, and low mileage...

Volvo S60 Low Mileage - One Owner - €1,800

MmU1ODhiM2Q2MjMxZGM3OWJkNThkZDU3NjZhZDViZTiHMCa8V-eSumsOD_E-C4xdaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTY3Mzk2Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

No great pictures... What's the dude hiding?

This one looks safer...

NWM3OWFjMDRjMzMwOWUxYjc1M2I1MmFhOGY4NDAwZGL2jWcYW_PSzDUkuf1V4D7NaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDc3NzA5M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I had a 1.6 Audi 80 back in the day too. A tank. A very very very slow tank. Mine was immaculate. .

Me too, a 94 one 1.6, good solid car, had it for 4 years, traded it in for a 99 A4 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,084 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NCT is expired on that car, BorneTobyWilde

fixer upper thread over there
    >>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-ax-1992-a-little-gem/13959616

MDg5ZDc0ZmJmOGVhMmE4NzdmZTI0MWVhMzhkOTQ2YjUgti-pIUQeJScy_RBa7kOtaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTAwOTYzNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

4 speed, 1 litre, 40k miles; NCT'd till 5/17 for €300. I actually kinda want to buy this..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm not so sure. They were pretty crap in the 90s.

Actually, just remembered, 19 years ago I was working in a garage. This day I was changing a tyre on old fashioned tyre machine, the type where you had a big bar and you worked your way around the machine to take the tyre off. Well, I was taking a tractor tyre off a wheel and the bar slipped, and went flying against the back of a Citroen AX Van that was in for a fecked fuel pump. It hit the boot door and broke the corner off it. Never saw a plastic panel on a car before.
    Superglued it up and said nothing.

• Advertisement

Same quality commie steel that the Italians used? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Looks gone already, I was on the way to the atm :(

unkel wrote: »
    Same quality commie steel that the Italians used? :p

Funny you should say that. The boot door of the AX was made of a plastic called ZMC. Fiat used it on the Tipo too,
    That's the only interesting thing about the AX for me, its a lesson in weight saving.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Funny you should say that. The boot door of the AX was made of a plastic called ZMC. Fiat used it on the Tipo too,
    That's the only interesting thing about the AX for me, its a lesson in weight saving.

The rear quarter panels on the Tipo are made out of the same stuff. Probably more stuff too

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-2-0-4wd/13961000

NDQ2OTg5ODI3ZjkwM2JlODVkMDU5ZjY0YjQ5ZjdhODEG8nz0EyKKGh2ZT3o9kEdXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTAxNzMwNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Pleasingly original 4WD Legacy with 90k miles and NCT to 4/17 for €600

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had a 1.6 Audi 80 back in the day too. A tank. A very very very slow tank. Mine was immaculate. Sold it to a Polish lad and about three months later I saw it wrapped around a light pole.

Mine was a 2.0 petrol. Not what you would call quick either but was ok for its time.

I had a 1.6 Audi 80 back in the day too. A tank. A very very very slow tank.

My late father bought a brand new 1.6 Audi 80 back in '91 I think? Just before the facelift model came out. He got a fantastic deal on it.

And yes, the 1.6 was just 71BHP. But the car was very light (just over 1050kg iirc) so it wasn't really that slow compared to other cars back then. Drove it at over 170km/h although back then there was no GPS to verify your real speed :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Picked this up on Tuesday evening for €550.

NCT valid until August. Very good spec for its age and very clean. I was going to buy 04/05 but the price of this won me over.

387718.png

Edit: just to add, it also came with a good 1/2 tank of fuel in it.

Edit: Sorry, I'm still in work and half asleep. It's been a long week. It's a Honda Accord 1.8 SE Executive with 85k miles on the clock. Plenty of mod cons, A/C, heated front seats, 4 electric windows, electric driver's seat, sunroof, cruise control, Bose stereo (the seller seemed to think this was the most important selling point!).

There is minor damage to the rear bumper but fixable easily enough. I nearly set the clutch on fire on the test drive having never driven a Honda of its vintage before. That was excruciatingly embarrassing so I kind of had to buy it at that stage, even though I'd already decided on it!
    Well wear, great buy :)

What was so different driving a Honda "of that vintage"? Did it not have the usual 3 pedals on the floor and a gear stick to your left? :p
    :D Thanks! It is a fine looking car and everything seems perfect mechanically. Even the electronics are all a-ok!

I'll try and get some of the interior tomorrow and post them. It looks and feels very fresh considering it's age but I suppose an average of 6k miles a year inside it will do that.

Haha! :) I suppose it could still be the same with Hondas and I would know but the clutch is an on/off switch, which I'm reliably informed was common if not universal in Hondas that age. The bite point is also very late, so it will take some getting used to.
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    ?
    I think he means when it bites, IT BITES.
    nd wrote: »
    You should be able to adjust the bite point, even on hydraulic clutches.
    Soarer wrote: »
    Or just be a man and get on with it.
    bear1 wrote: »
    Well this escalated..
    morritty wrote: »
    The Other half's all fella had one a while ago and his clutch was exactly the same, if your used to a clutch with a low enough biting point, then the accord nearly feels like its clutch is slipping.

Soooooooooooooooo.

This thing I bought is a dog. It's a lovely car with great spec and the engine is still bulletproof etc. but one (or more) of the previous owners gave this thing plain old abuse.

I have had to replace the clutch and a few other things so far. I need new brake calipers which are surprisingly expensive. There is a good chance I need a new lambda sensor which I understand will cost me a few bob too.

I have to say that I should have known the old clutch was on its way out when I took it out to test but I didn't and lesson learnt.

I'm going to do my best to keep this old bird on the road for the time being but she needs a few more trips to the doctor and at some point, that's going to be too much.

/sadface.

I'm going to do my best to keep this old bird on the road

Why? The whole point about bangernomics is the principle of dump & start again. It looks like you've already failed on this point much more than your car has failed you.

Dump that Japanese piece of sh1t and buy a proper bangernomics car next!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Why? The whole point about bangernomics is the principle of dump & start again. It looks like you've already failed on this point much more than your car has failed you.

Flog that piece of sh1t and buy a proper bangernomics car. Next!

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

You bastard.

:P

• Advertisement

:p

If you really like driving, get an E46 BMW coupe. Brilliant to drive. Not sure what else I could recommend to you - don't know your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. They were pretty crap in the 90s.

Actually, just remembered, 19 years ago I was working in a garage. This day I was changing a tyre on old fashioned tyre machine, the type where you had a big bar and you worked your way around the machine to take the tyre off. Well, I was taking a tractor tyre off a wheel and the bar slipped, and went flying against the back of a Citroen AX Van that was in for a fecked fuel pump. It hit the boot door and broke the corner off it. Never saw a plastic panel on a car before.
    Superglued it up and said nothing.

Check this one in case it's your superglue handiwork.
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C808146

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mint-bmw-e46-need-gone-asap/13283723

Thoughts? I'm lost looking.

Insurance has rocketed despite having another NCB under the belt (8 now). The choice now in banger money or a 2007+ car. The current car is a 2003 1.6 corolla so that plays it's part in the quote. Pain! 20,000 miles a year but would prefer non diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mint-bmw-e46-need-gone-asap/13283723

Thoughts? I'm lost looking.

Insurance has rocketed despite having another NCB under the belt (8 now). The choice now in banger money or a 2007+ car. The current car is a 2003 1.6 corolla so that plays it's part in the quote. Pain! 20,000 miles a year but would prefer non diesel.

No NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Y2ZhN2U1ZjBiOTQ4OTk4OWYxYmViYWY3YTg0YWU2NGYkFQoX4jO5d5RKbZcn1h0HaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NDIwMTUyOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-aero-hot-auto-2-3-260-bhp-2006-price-reduced/13807956

It's the poorer quality post 2005 Saab 95 and the photos certainly don't show it off at its best but it's a great price for the 260bhp Aero version and could tidy up very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

choons wrote:
    No NCT?

Ah, sorry. Knew I missed something!

alastair wrote: »
    Check this one in case it's your superglue handiwork.
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C808146

Fraid not :)
    This was an AX van. Black.

Those BX vans are so quirky. Think they were made by a coach builder or something. Remember reading an article about them on aronline or somewhere.

Furzy wrote: »
    It's the poorer quality post 2005 Saab 95

Dame Edna are poor built quality? That's new to me. They don't suffer from the one major known problem that the earlier 9-5 have, the sludge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Dame Edna are poor built quality? That's new to me. They don't suffer from the one major known problem that the earlier 9-5 have, the sludge :)

I think the allegation is that the 9-5 was tarted up a little but the accountants were allowed to pare back cost of construction by insisting on cheaper parts. Generally resulting in a nastier less premium feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

crazyjim wrote: »
    I think the allegation is that the 9-5 was tarted up a little but the accountants were allowed to pare back cost of construction by insisting on cheaper parts. Generally resulting in a nastier less premium feel

Rover 75 was a serious victim of that lark - the post-phoenix cars were built much more cheaply than the previous versions. Not sure to what degree it actually affected them, but they lost a few nice features.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement