Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-s-type-sport/13969119

Low miles
    NIce spec
    Maybe 1500 would be an offer, that leave room to put 6 months tax on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The S-type is a great car that can be bought for silly money, though I'm a bit biased saying that :p

That one looks like a well cared for car. A sneaky offer is what I'd make on it too, but do prepare for the owner being (rightly) insulted :)

The car is heavy, so obviously not frugal around town, but the 2.5l petrol is the right choice for Ireland, attracting just €1080 motor tax. The autobox is surprisingly modern, having 6 speeds, which was very good going back in '02. The likes of Lexus had only just gone from 4 to 5 speed autoboxes at that stage, although they're always a bit behind the curve over in the far east :p

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

unkel wrote: »
    Dame Edna are poor built quality? That's new to me. They don't suffer from the one major known problem that the earlier 9-5 have, the sludge :)
    crazyjim wrote: »
    I think the allegation is that the 9-5 was tarted up a little but the accountants were allowed to pare back cost of construction by insisting on cheaper parts. Generally resulting in a nastier less premium feel

The oil pick-up screen was changed in 2004 so the 04 and 05 models avoid the issue and are the best of the original Saabs. But regular oil changes with fully synthetic oil should avoid the problem in older models and any decent mechanic should been have aware of the issue for the last dozen or more years.

Re the Dame Edna - I am a diehard Saab fan and have had two 9000s, a 9-3 and two 9-5s. I've test driven an 06 and a year later an 08 with the intention of buying but there was nothing of the Saab feel about them. As Crazyjim says there is a cheap, plastic feel the moment you sit into one. I had two different passengers who had very different tastes on either test drive and both concluded that the car was nothing like as comfortable or refined as proper Saabs and both complained (even after a short drive) that they had to brace themselves to avoid sliding out of the seat on braking because of the cheap plasticy leather seat. I like my comfort and I found the ride firm and seats unsupportive - totally unlike a real Saab. The trim and grille etc on the outside also had a very cheap, plastic feel so I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Having said that, both were Linear spec and the Vector/Aero seats have always been a cut above the Linear so might be worth a test drive.

.... mind you I had a test drive in an S-class a couple of years ago and was distinctly unimpressed :p.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-arc-1-8-nct-05-17/13968660

Beautiful Saabina
    Particularly nice body
    Some service history, nice color and spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

The only Saab I would even consider is pre-GM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,457 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Not a fan or the Genetically Modified Saab myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-mb6/13842748

Yj_Q3_Zj_Uw_ZTVl_NDkz_Zm_Rj_Yj_M3_Yjll_Mj_I2_MTgx_Mm_Yx_MGXv_U7_P2.jpg

MGMy_ODhk_ZGRm_Mzhh_Mj_U0_Nz_E4_N2_Rl_YTYz_YTUx_Nj_Jk_OWZIIew.jpg

Clean and genuine looking mb6 vti civic
    4 Irish owners
    Test till September 17
    B18c4 goodness
    Asking €2000 but up long enough for haggling.
    At €1500 it would be a great buy

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The S-type is a great car that can be bought for silly money, though I'm a bit biased saying that :p

That one looks like a well cared for car. A sneaky offer is what I'd make on it too, but do prepare for the owner being (rightly) insulted :)

The car is heavy, so obviously not frugal around town, but the 2.5l petrol is the right choice for Ireland, attracting just €1080 motor tax. The autobox is surprisingly modern, having 6 speeds, which was very good going back in '02. The likes of Lexus had only just gone from 4 to 5 speed autoboxes at that stage, although they're always a bit behind the curve over in the far east :p

Plus they're the cheapest bit of respectability you can buy. I'd have total strangers come up to me asking about mine. People I knew were wondering how I could afford one. You just don't get that with an Audi BMW or Mercedes for similar money.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-mb6/13842748

Clean and genuine looking mb6 vti civic
    4 Irish owners
    Test till September 17
    B18c4 goodness
    Asking €2000 but up long enough for haggling.
    At €1500 it would be a great buy

That's a proper wolf in sheep's clothing!! Wonder if that's an English one? Never thought they were sold here with that engine.

Bandito909 wrote: »
    That's a proper wolf in sheep's clothing!! Wonder if that's an English one? Never thought they were sold here with that engine.

I'd imagine so,
    It's rare to see a non vti-s mb6 over here people importing them generally went for the vti-s due to them having the nicer lip kits along with the pirates black colour scheme.
    The flip side is the vti mb6 is more of a sleeper and possibly easier insure?
    (Insurance will be tough on any fast Honda though)

• Advertisement

I'd imagine so,
    It's rare to see a non vti-s mb6 over here people importing them generally went for the vti-s due to them having the nicer lip kits along with the pirates black colour scheme.
    The flip side is the vti mb6 is more of a sleeper and possibly easier insure?
    (Insurance will be tough on any fast Honda though)

Tell me about it, 1800euro on my dc2! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3/13839110
    2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t Vector, €1150
    This is my old car, currently for sale by the person who bought from me 18 months ago. It's had a heap of work including timing & balance chain and I believe head gasket IIRC in the last 10,000 miles. I replaced drop links and banana arms about 2 1/2 years ago too. It comes with full service history, stack of receipts, and I was the 3rd owner from new (guy before me had it for about 8 years IIRC).

I'd 100% recommend this particular car as a daily, was great and at 175bhp has a great bit of midrange shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

A decent spec '06 Mondeo is a lot of car for €1,200. Well wear!

Update on Mondeo. Walked through the Nct last week. No fails or advisories. Just got it serviced before the test,nothing else.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lovely-lexus-gs-300-for-sale/13839173

Lexuslious
    975 ono
    For 600 you could throw 3 months tax on it. And drive till middle of next march for 1000 .
    Sell for 600 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1981-ford-cortina-passed-nct-today-16-09-16/13399265

ZGM2ODc2NTZhYTdjYmM1NWMyMTczM2EyMjQxMGRjYWHDaMui1McLog7eBUZTeihYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTk0NDI5NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT till 8/17, we're assured its taxed, with new tyres and brakes and "rust work repaired" - a grand starter classic and runabout if you were so inclined. For €2k or close to it

I know its not bangernomics in the traditional sense, but still!

It that Cortina was in Dublin, it would be sold already. Some find!

Very rare to come across a low value vintage tax car that has a long NCT

If the car is sound and needs no work, the savings in tax would make for a reasonably generous annual maintenance fund...

It that Cortina was in Dublin, it would be sold already. Some find!...

Funny enough I thought the exact same thing about the gs borntobywilde linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-xedos-2-5-v6/13977442

My son has the Xedos up for sale. I had it before him since 40K miles. Loved it. Gearbox getting tired but she's driving away. Engine is a peach, spent €400 on TB, water pump, all belts, engine cover gasket couple of months ago! Front tyres good, rear well down.

Looks lovely. If it will pass the NCT without major work, it's well worth the full asking price. If not, then I'm not so sure, someone might go for it because it's different. Duke - I mean you :p

Why don't you put it through the NCT? You're after spending so much money on it already another €55 won't hurt. And then (if it passes) advertise it for €750 honestly describing the issue with the gearbox and of course putting up a few more pictures ;)

My son has the Xedos up for sale. I had it before him since 40K miles. Loved it. Gearbox getting tired but she's driving away. Engine is a peach, spent €400 on TB, water pump, all belts, engine cover gasket couple of months ago! Front tyres good, rear well down.

What's wrong with the gearbox?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

That Cortina rolls back the years. I owned one back in the day. A poor replacement for my mk1 Capri, but families have demands.

In the photos I noticed a part with www.bosch.com on it. I wonder what would've happened if you typed that into your IBM PC back in 1981. :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

My first car was a Taunus 2.0L 2 doors.
    Whatever i drove after that, i never liked a car more than that one

Do you know who the original owner of this was?

Falcon L wrote: »
    I wonder what would've happened if you typed that into your IBM PC back in 1981. :P

I don't think anybody in Ireland had an IBM PC back in 1981. Never mind that www business you're talking about :p

Do you know who the original owner of this was?

Gerry Ryan was into his Mazda's wasn't he?

Before he saw the light? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is Mazda street slang for cocaine?:confused:

Indeed he was. Thinking back now the car I have much memory of might have been a 04 reg though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

It that Cortina was in Dublin, it would be sold already. Some find!

Very rare to come across a low value vintage tax car that has a long NCT

If the car is sound and needs no work, the savings in tax would make for a reasonably generous annual maintenance fund...

Just proves Dublin people have no sense ! (And I am a Dub)
    Each to their own. It's not even hipster ironic to me. The shabby car seat cover just says misery to me about the whole idea of commuting in it.

If it was a well maintained 2.8 Granada auto for 2k then it's a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Bandito909 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the gearbox?

It's an auto and I believe it feels like clutch is slipping now and then and you have to take your foot off the gas and be gentle with her and then she engages again ;-) . Fluid has never been changed in 180K miles. That said he was up and down to Cork last week and Mullingar so he has the the confidence in it. It is an expensive car on tax and petrol but...

I got a lift in it the other day and the plastics are outstanding quality for a car of its age, double DIN front mount six CD changer.... funny story about that, when I first got the car I didn't know about it and loaded single CD and it started whirring and still said LOAD on the front or something and I thought "oh no, here we go"

CEL is on... but has been mostly since 40K... EGR is my bet, and climate is stuck on 22. There you have it, alloys are nice and unmarked X 5. Great car but the gearbox is the gamble. Car is in Terenure, Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement