Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's an auto and I believe it feels like clutch is slipping now and then and you have to take your foot off the gas and be gentle with her and then she engages again ;-) . Fluid has never been changed in 180K miles. That said he was up and down to Cork last week and Mullingar so he has the the confidence in it. It is an expensive car on tax and petrol but...

I don't think the torque converter is "slipping" (technically it always is slipping), it sounds more like the pads in the clutch packs are on the way out or the hydraulic pressure on them is not sufficient to lock them.

The latter would be consistent with lack of maintenance and blocked/dirty valves...

Does not sound good...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

grogi wrote: »
    Does not sound good...
    Agreed. This car would suit someone who already has one but needs wheels, body panels etc.

Or someone that could use the engine for something, it had fully synthetic and filter every 10K often less and is so quiet and smooth that you hardly hear it standing beside it (a rare thing these days with the chaaaaape tax!!!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crazyjim wrote: »
    If it was a well maintained 2.8 Granada auto for 2k then it's a different story

I'd want to get a big engine myself if all you're gonna pay is vintage motor tax.
    Was thinking more like a 5l V8 Mercedes S-class instead of a Granada :p

Still the Cortina is very reasonably priced for what it is. Surely somebody will snap it up in the next few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

ZjU0YzM2NTA4YjJjMmFiOWU2NDdkNTdmZDJmODAxMzk8WsycUZtj1CGvRH6SZVihaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTIwMTcwN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Wondering what you lads would think of something like this?
    Taxed till May '17.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-mercedes-180c-full-service-new-timing-chain/13869040

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Rover 75 was a serious victim of that lark - the post-phoenix cars were built much more cheaply than the previous versions. Not sure to what degree it actually affected them, but they lost a few nice features.

A car I've always had a bit of a hankering for, but which I've heard criticism of. What's the pre/post phoenix cutoff ? A certain year or version? Probably not many of them left out there in great condition and I'm not sure what their faults or good points are, not changing now but I'm more inclined to replace with a larger older car than a newer smaller car, be nice to get 08 and onward for cheaper tax but that is probably less likely and just jack the price up even though it's 8 years.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-s-type-sport/13969119

Low miles
    NIce spec
    Maybe 1500 would be an offer, that leave room to put 6 months tax on it.

I've always like the idea of an x type but this is quite sweet, I could, any issues or faults to consider? Timing belt interval/cost? I'd like to just drive one on and sell on before doing significant maintenance other than routine stuff, as it won't help hold the value, tax even more than my own but surprised its not more,
    The only Saab I would even consider is pre-GM
    Why? There's a GM one in the family, I'm not that keen on it as the interior is a bit plastic my and in some parts worn, but it goes when you put the foot down compared to my own, found the steering very light and the driver seat very encroached by the surrounds and I'm not a big bloke, that said it does good economy and as mentioned is quite good on the acceleration and I think it looks nice from the outside, seats are fabric so never noticed problem with sliding, its a sport version? Maybe the seats are different.

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    I've always like the idea of an x type but this is quite sweet, I could, any issues or faults to consider? Timing belt interval/cost?

It's an S-type. Not an X-type. The latter is just a Mondeo that looks like a Jaguar (nothing wrong with that). The S-type is a proper Jaguar. Rear wheel drive, V6 petrol engine with 6 speed auto box

And proper cars have timing chains, they last the lifetime of the car, so no change interval and zero cost :)

S-types like that at this stage (about 15 years old) are a little weak in their electrics. I'm only after ordering a rear right light bulb holder (full unit for all the rear bulbs) as it started to malfunction. Not to worry though, parts are cheap. Got mine off eBay for £9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

unkel wrote: »
    It's an S-type. Not an X-type. The latter is just a Mondeo that looks like a Jaguar (nothing wrong with that). The S-type is a proper Jaguar. Rear wheel drive, V6 petrol engine with 6 speed auto box

And proper cars have timing chains, they last the lifetime of the car, so no change interval and zero cost :)

S-types like that at this stage (about 15 years old) are a little weak in their electrics. I'm only after ordering a rear right light bulb holder (full unit for all the rear bulbs) as it started to malfunction. Not to worry though, parts are cheap. Got mine off eBay for £9.99

A proper Jag would have the 8 cylinder, like my one ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I know that's an s type, just meaning I never considered one, I know the x type is based on the Mondeo platform and I've read is reliable because of it, regardless I like the x type, seeing this s type realise I never even considered them, it looks even better but is probably the limit to what I'd consider motor tax wise.
    Still that Mercedes is appealing, I like the idea of buying an older bigger car rather than newer midrange even, I see plenty here that I like, and I prefer to know the timing belt state or if it has a chain and having cruise control which I have now, just trying to get as much value out of my own car at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

With those X and S types, watch out for EML lights showing and knock sensor failure. I looked at a handful of S types for my parents earlier in the year and all, in one day, had the same issue. Its a pain in the backside to mend

-

Anyway, on the subject of Jaaaaags, a proper one :P

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/classic-jaguar-xj8/13993396

NWQzODA4ZTEzNjVhYTM2NzY0ODhmNjE0OWE3ZTVjOTZ1hY6dDqmKh5B3c1AXR5n3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTE4MzI1MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

An Xj8 - with NCT till 9/17, for €2010. Surely a tenner could be haggled off, and then some. Worryingly out of tax a while, but shur don't pay attention to that. A vert classy looking car in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Nice looking car, insurance could be a problem though.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-6-a-t-995/13824598

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    A proper Jag would have the 8 cylinder, like my one ;):pac:

Oh aye. Can't beat a V8 petrol :D

What era Jag V8s are prone to the Nikasil issue? Just 90s or did that drag on longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Oh aye. Can't beat a V8 petrol :D

What era Jag V8s are prone to the Nikasil issue? Just 90s or did that drag on longer?

They stopped using it around 2000 alright. But it is nothing be be worried - the sulphur levels are much lower now. If the engine holds compression now, Nikasil will not be issue in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Unique 3.4 litre engine on the Jag !

My impression is that XJs cost twice what S Class or LS of the same year do. I don't think I've seen a high mileage XJ with 180k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

crazyjim wrote: »
    Unique 3.4 litre engine on the Jag !

It's a 3.2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

1 months tax, 6 months NCT, 88k miles, €600 asking, can't go wrong...

YWJjNzA4NWM0MTZlZGNlOGJhYmMwNzRkNGI0MjU0YmFjujo00OCz6K09gwk8HzLmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTE4NDYzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord/13993664

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I have to say that that 02 s-type posted earlier is tempting.

I hope someone buys it before I do something stupid :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-190/14010354

ZjBmZjg0Y2U0NjJhMjljYjRmZWM2ODgyZjBhNjc3MjPo4vYJF7zf77EZgoZN03z5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTI3ODIxOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Lovely 190E with cream leather, NCT to Jan 2018 and 6 month old tyres; €1350. I believe this car used to belong to a motors forum regular too.

• Advertisement

Worth at least double that in 5 years time if you keep it in good nick.

Mend the grill and put on a set of new pressed plates would freshen it up very well imo. But yeah, I'd say the value would go only one way on something like it

I believe this car used to belong to a motors forum regular too.

Mike65 used to have one just like that, but it was a manual afaik. Or are you thinking of someone else?

Mike65 used to have one just like that, but it was a manual afaik. Or are you thinking of someone else?

tc20 owned it (if this is his one) earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

tc20 owned it (if this is his one) earlier in the year

Good spot Duke, that was indeed mine. I see its already gone - if someone has a screenshot of the ad, i'd be interested to see it.

I sold it (somewhat regrettably) around this time last year, to a local guy, who i'm guessing moved it on to the seller in the ad. I had it for approx 2 years, and was the 4th owner. The previous to me was a local farmer who had it for 18 yrs. Good to see it has a fresh NCT, if i had kept it, i would have done the rear subframe mounts, as they needed doing. I bought it for similar € to the asking (with 122k on the clock), and sold it for about the same too (133k-ish).
    The grill is just a piece of trim, which the seller had, and i never got around to fitting, it was still in the centre console when i sold it :o The interior is MB-Tex rather than leather, but still a nice place to be, and had the original Blaupunkt stereo.

Damn, i'd have bought it back if i'd seen the ad sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-c-class-mercedes-c180-2002-new-nct/13521797

Speaking of Mercedes Benz...No doubt not a patch on the 190 in terms of reliability and robustness but still worth a shot for the money to the right person. Asking €999, looks well in my opinion, relatively low mileage for year at 124k, tested until 07/17, but sold as seen.

I would say €500 (or less) would drive home whichever takes your fancy. Neither ad inspires particular confidence in either seller being a loving, caring or even registered owner of the cars in question, but nevertheless..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romero-156-t-spark-1-6-petrol/14020245

Mjc4NDMzZGEyYzIyNTIwYjM0OWRlZDc4YTNlMWQ4Y2ZF9MvYLBDNnQn4CQDvIBAyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTMzMTMyNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

04 facelift 1.6 with NCT to 2/17 and 190k miles - €550. Looks like it hasn't done much mileage since the test

or, in a rather more audacious colour

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-tax-nct-passed/14020264

YjRjNTYzYzEzYjdhOWEwNzA1YjI4MjQzMjQ2NzU2Njn0iIoMaxwCOnTSyxuM6aD0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTMzMTQ0Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice cream leather, 82k miles if one is to believe, and NCT to 4/17, plus some tax. For €599. I would be more inclined to buy look at this one.

If you're reading this @first seller, some decent quality photos really do go a long way when selling a car. And clean the car, Topaz were selling platinum car washes (€12) for €2 yesterday, if that wasn't a sign I don't know what is.

Over 300k km on the first one. Who said that Alfas were unreliable? They just need a little bit more attention than your average Toyota.

Both are good value (buy the first one for €350 and sell the teledials when the belt snaps), the latter would even deserve a belt if you plan to drive it for a year or more...

Its a day for offensively blue Alfas!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-alfa-gt-2-0-sportivo-video-reduced-/13717646

OGQxOTMyZTQwMzlkZjNhYzUxMzkwN2NhNDdkYTUyNzbjzDFSje0QCIa68PnjsVpsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzcyMDg1MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A grand car really. Clean, respectable, and not a Hyundai coupe. NCT to 5/17 and good enough for a video with Stavros! What I would like to know though is how much Alfa paid in royalties to Ford for using the back end off a Puma when Bertone were working their magic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yz_Nk_Nz_Uz_ZTAw_Nz_Uz_YTJi_MGY1_Mzlk_MDYx_Zj_Jm_Yj_Rl_YWFk_Gd0_S.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-325ci-nct-amp-tax-to-feb-2017/13634980

Nice clean looking e46 325ci
    Test till March
    Tax till February
    Supposedly low miles and some sort of service history.
    Nice colour and decent spec.
    Asking €1400 but up long enough for a good haggle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement