Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Strange one for ye lads, not sure whether to post here or start a new thread. I need something for my driveway to make it look like someone's home all the time. It can be a non runner, tax or nct not needed bit preferred to get it home. It's gotta look like it's in daily use, so 03 up please.. I'm thinking a barge of some sort.

Fair waste of money wouldn't it?
    Wouldn't security cameras work better? After a while a car that isn't being moved will show signs of it I.e Moss and the under carriage will also show dryness not to mention the tyres will slowly start deflating.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

TT Only done 900 miles since march. Odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Strange one for ye lads, not sure whether to post here or start a new thread. I need something for my driveway to make it look like someone's home all the time. It can be a non runner, tax or nct not needed bit preferred to get it home. It's gotta look like it's in daily use, so 03 up please.. I'm thinking a barge of some sort.

Ask a neighbour to park in your drive.
    House lights on timers, and perhaps one of those LED lights that are supposed to look like a telly is on inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Thanks lads...it has to be a car in the drive.

Get something inconspicuous like a silver Avensis or whatever. If you get say a 7 series, people will notice that it's always there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,081 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Inflatable-Replicas-Car.jpg

Surely spending a little more on car that you'd actually be to use would be an advantage (avoiding eventual mossy mount of rust that would need to be towed)? I'm thinking a classic or small cc. Depends on if you have a daily driver and what's the story with insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I am in the same boat. Cars can be picked up for nothing or next to nothing. Had an Almera parked for a couple of years. Clutch was gone but body was perfect. cost less that €100 delivered to the house. Came from a garage when scrap was making about €100. Then when that started to look rough, I located an Opel Corsa, again scrapyard material but driving. Just over a month ago, I got a fairly clean Mazda 121(similar to Ford fiesta). Got this for nothing. NCT failure. Loads wrong with it but body good & it starts & drives. Try local garages & see if they have any NCT failures or local scrapyard. They're taking in cars for nothing so might offload something that looks OK for small money.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's a break in deterrent. The father always had two cars...he only needs one now so hes selling one and the plan to get another CHEAP car just to sit in the drive to be a break in deterrent. It will be washed and moved every few days... Cameras are great and all but the boyos have been around already when nobodys at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's a break in deterrent. The father always had two cars...he only needs one now so hes selling one and the plan to get another CHEAP car just to sit in the drive to be a break in deterrent. It will be washed and moved every few days... Cameras are great and all but the boyos have been around already when nobodys at home...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-seat-toledo-1-9-sdi-nct-01-17-cheap-car/14124673

Drive this up from cork before the test runs out. Park it up and throw a drum of green in it so you have fuel to keep it started every so often.

Fit a cut off switch on the battery too so it won't drain.

Or if it was me I'd get a 1.0 car like a k11 micra and keep it taxed and tested and use it as a road/track car.

Drive it on third party extension, strip the bejesus out of it and instant fun is achievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

They probably saw the Almera outside and thought there wasn't going to be much better inside. :)

a mazda 121 would have burglers dropping food parcels at your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Drive it on third party extension

Don't.

Third party extension doesn't apply if the car belongs to you. You will not be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

unkel wrote: »
    Don't.

Third party extension doesn't apply if the car belongs to you. You will not be insured.

Itll be parked outside his father's house unkle the logical way to do it is put it into his father's name. Then he's covered to drive it but only if the 3rd party extension allows for "road worthy"vehicles to be driven. Aviva and some others require the car to have a policy on it too. Liberty do not require this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Driver's o/s seat bolster with no wear visible probably means seat has been replaced? Apparently, a good front passenger seat can be swapped in - this may have been done here. A good sign if so.

Otoh, the 2.0d is often mentioned in the same sentence as 'skin off a rice pudding'...

A good future classic though, and probably suitable for vegetable oil / bio-diesel.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-seat-toledo-1-9-sdi-nct-01-17-cheap-car/14124673

Drive this up from cork before the test runs out. Park it up and throw a drum of green in it so you have fuel to keep it started every so often.

Stupid seller, that's a Leon not a Toledo..

Also, it's an SDI, test might well have ran out before op would get it home they're that slow.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,081 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's excellent value, you wouldn't get a regular Micra in that good a condition for next nor near that price.

But it's dreadful.
    Not even my wife who buys cars on their colour would drive this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I'm not a fan of those Micras but that one I'd have to say....

Not in a million years would I be seen in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Nissan micra convertible: 1,350

Forever explaining to everyone you know or will ever meet that you are actually straight: priceless

Be grand for a young lady who just passed her test. Funky. A bit different. That said, my girls all want MINI Coopers :D

unkel wrote: »
    Be grand for a young lady who just passed her test. That said, my girls all want MINI Coopers :D

Good luck getting insurance on a 1.6 convertible as a young driver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I'd drive around in that yoke for the pure crack of watching jaws drop (if i could fit in it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

3, 2 full people and 2 x 0.5 of a person.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Good luck getting insurance on a 1.6 convertible as a young driver!

Quick check for the craic: €3k for an 18 year old with full driving license and 1 year named driving but zero NCB with Liberty

A bit more than I thought. Maybe because they are obliged to charge women the same as men?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Tbh its inherently better because its not in that ghastly pink colour they showed on Top Gear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s280/14163572

MjYwNmMwZGFkYWJhZWE1ZjkxOWIwNTFmYzM1MjE5OWYYyFCFz6oDILdF2eLsm4ataHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjA4MzgwM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Only a '280, and no doubt a rough dog, but for €650..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s280/14163572

MjYwNmMwZGFkYWJhZWE1ZjkxOWIwNTFmYzM1MjE5OWYYyFCFz6oDILdF2eLsm4ataHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjA4MzgwM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Only a '280, and no doubt a rough dog, but for €650..
    If there's rust under the Reg plate, where else is there rust?

• Advertisement

Sure, but recent NCT so I doubt there's anything structurally wrong. I'd drive it. Put a few months tax on it, add it to my classic insurance for €100 for a full year (fully comp) and you'll drive a luxury car for peanuts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement