Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

9-5....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

colm_mcm wrote: »
    9-5....

errr.... that too...... :o /scarlet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Raiding the Bangernomics piggy bank a little, but this is a great engine in a current model car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-grande-punto-1-4-2008-fresh-nct/14181289

If it's 36e for a VC joint then why not repair it?

Like this a lot.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-wagon/13604034

Bit rough but has a long NCT and a bit of history,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

In the market for something like this Saab ( the 9-5 estate for 2k) at the moment. We have 2 bangernomics cars - a 1999 Mazda 626 bought for 2k in 20010 with 42k miles and an 2000 Astra bought for 600 a year ago with 178k miles. Both still motoring fine but the Astra needs a few quid spent, tyres all around etc and thinking of changing for something a bit more comfortable. Was initially thinking of spending a bit more but have been looking back around the bangernomics money again.
    Anything in particular to look out for in that model? Never owned or driven one but have seen them recommended on here quite a lot. Seems like ok spec for the money. I was also looking at Volvo v70s - need a biggish boot. Any tips appreciated
    Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

unkel wrote: »
    Z3

NCT - tick
    Taxed - tick
    Cheap to tax - tick
    Classic insurance - tick
    Great to drive - tick

All for a bit over a grand. Sometimes this thread amazes me even more than other times. What a find. If I didn't have a convertible two seater already...

How does one go about classic insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bear1 wrote: »
    If it's 36e for a VC joint then why not repair it?

How true.

One of my first cars was 1.2 Bravo that suffered cv joint noise and every guy I went to said cv joint. Symptoms were exactly as worn cv joint.

Ended up getting new gearbox for her :(

I am not even implying that is the case here, but I would check it very carefully before buying.

wonski wrote: »
    How true.

One of my first cars was 1.2 Bravo that suffered cv joint noise and every guy I went to said cv joint. Symptoms were exactly as worn cv joint.

Ended up getting new gearbox for her :(

I am not even implying that is the case here, but I would check it very carefully before buying.

The gearbox on that particular Punto was bad on the jtd sporting model.
    The bearings weren't good and ended up eating the gearbox.
    I believe this effected the 130 bhp version which is the one we have and it has started to whine.
    Won't do anything till it goes.
    Very easy to determine however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

In the market for something like this Saab ( the 9-5 estate for 2k) at the moment. We have 2 bangernomics cars - a 1999 Mazda 626 bought for 2k in 20010 with 42k miles and an 2000 Astra bought for 600 a year ago with 178k miles. Both still motoring fine but the Astra needs a few quid spent, tyres all around etc and thinking of changing for something a bit more comfortable. Was initially thinking of spending a bit more but have been looking back around the bangernomics money again.
    Anything in particular to look out for in that model? Never owned or driven one but have seen them recommended on here quite a lot. Seems like ok spec for the money. I was also looking at Volvo v70s - need a biggish boot. Any tips appreciated
    Sound

If you get a 9-5, make sure it's from 2004 on.. the engine sludge issue was fixed so you should have reaslnably trouble free motoring . Parts are readily available and many like discs and pads are interchangeable with vectra / calibra.
    Great value to be had. I'd definitely go auto over manual. And avoid the 2.2 diesel. 1.9 diesel or 2.0t petrol would be my choices.
    They're not exactly a drivers car, but a really comfy refined bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

4 posts up from mine :p

If it wasn't in Cork, it would be mine by now. Drive it around for the next few months and sell it with a fresh NCT in March. Car will have cost you the grand total of minus a few hundred euro.

If I had a bit more time on my hands, I'd challenge myself to drive cars for 3 years without it costing me a cent everything included, even petrol (cars taxed and NCTd at all times). Then I'd write a book about it. Should have thought of this at the start of the recession, I'd be rich and famous by now :p

One out of two ain't bad! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wish there was a separate thread for SAAB 95s. Every second ad is for a Saab...or a big engined Jag.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I wish there was a separate thread for SAAB 95s. Every second ad is for a Saab...or a big engined Jaag.

FYP :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Sound
    Be prepared for eye watering petrol bills with the 2.0lt turbo petrol cars.
    The saab is cracking value, as is the v70 petrol for the same reason.
    Volvos suffer from front suspension issues but lower milers would be ok. Test drive these cars.
    As mentioned, avoid pre 2004 petrol saabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

cadaliac wrote: »
    The saab is cracking value, as is the v70 petrol for the same reason.
    Volvos suffer from front suspension issues but lower milers would be ok. Test drive these cars.
    As mentioned, avoid pre 2004 petrol saabs.

Couldn't agree more about the 2.0t fuel economy. 20-22 mpg around town . 26-28 on a good run.
    My last 9-5 was lpg converted at a cost of 950 euro. I was getting just under 200 miles from a 50 litre lpg fill . Which is approx 30 euro. The lpg kit had paid for itself in 8 months I estimated. There was a very slight loss in performance on gas but hardly noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cadaliac wrote: »

Not really. It's a big heavy car and will do similar MPG as other bangernomics cars of this size (5-series / E-class, Volvo S80, etc.). I averaged 25MPG in mine, the same as I do in any other car of this size (except my V8 / 6 clinder petrol auto cars even bigger and heavier and 3l or more that barely did 20MPG). Mostly Dublin traffic

On a family holiday, with the car fully loaded with 5 people and all their stuff, I managed 40MPG with a light foot and smooth, pro active driving

Was a manual though, autos of that era use a good bit more fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what do we reckon is the best value bangernomic model gents in terms of reliability?? comfort, toys, newness, insurance and tax?

Saab 9-5 2.0T?

also do many insurers penalise for cars over 14 years? i see aviva wont quote online

Forget about online quotes, they are useless.

Hard to beat the Saab 9-5 2l petrol (from '04) for those terms. Did you drive one though? It's about the opposite of many of the cars you have owned. It is NOT a drivers car :)

Nice place to be in though. Ventilation / air conditioning system works really well too, something not mentioned here before afaik. You can see that Saab took on the Vectra (GM told them to) but then they changed rather a lot of the car before releasing it as the 9-5. Engine is the old 70s Triumph slant engine. Pretty much perfected by Saab over the decades and a very strong and reliable engine it is.

Hard to beat the Saab 9-5 2l petrol (from '04) for those terms. Did you drive one though? It's about the opposite of many of the cars you have owned. It is NOT a drivers car :)

Nice place to be in though. Ventilation / air conditioning system works really well too, something not mentioned here before afaik. You can see that Saab took on the Vectra (GM told them to) but then they changed rather a lot of the car before releasing it as the 9-5. Engine is the old 70s Triumph slant engine. Pretty much perfected by Saab over the decades and a very strong and reliable engine it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

need something for the creche run for a few months so drivers car isnt important :)

thanks for the info i think 9-3 or 9-5 is looking like the best bet, lots available <2k with long nct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-very-well-looked-after-new-nct/14175185

Jen you in BMW .
    Low miles
    Feb you harry 18 NCT

Are these reliable

Any opinions on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yz_Mw_YTgx_M2_U1_ODA0_Nzc5_Zm_Jj_OTdm_Yjg3_NDA2_Mm_Rm_YTla_K0ig.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-swift/14047504

2005 1.3 swift 3dr
    Straight looking
    Tested till July 17
    Supposedly low miles
    Asking €1450

Not sure is there some colour match issues going on at the front

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Satriale wrote: »

Looks almost too good to be true IMO. Make sure you check it over fully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Satriale wrote: »

It could be genuine. I bought an 11 y/o E46 coupe with 59k miles on it 5 yrs ago. It now has 100k on it and it's still minty :).
    Check if there are any old NCT certs, you might get some previous mileage from them. Main dealer stamps in the book would be good as you can ring and get them to verify the mileage. At 69K the engine bay should still be fairly clean, mine was just dusty. If it's oily and manky looking, walk away. Good one's are great car's to drive. Bad one's will break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

emeldc wrote: »
    It could be genuine. I bought an 11 y/o E46 coupe with 59k miles on it 5 yrs ago. It now has 100k on it and it's still minty :).
    Check if there are any old NCT certs, you might get some previous mileage from them. Main dealer stamps in the book would be good as you can ring and get them to verify the mileage. At 69K the engine bay should still be fairly clean, mine was just dusty. If it's oily and manky looking, walk away. Good one's are great car's to drive. Bad one's will break your heart.

They have a timing chain right? So no need to worry about it ?
    How long should a chain last.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-convertible-nct-02-17-low-miles-bargain/14049878

Could fit 3 bikini clad blondes in that and head to beach in summer

1500.00 would be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-convertible-nct-02-17-low-miles-bargain/14049878

1500.00 would be good

The boots not that big

choons wrote: »
    Looks almost too good to be true IMO.

Wouldn't go that far on the E46. It's a boggo Paddy spec (no aircon, windy windows :D) 4 door. Very decent car for the money, looks clean and they are great reliability wise. '18 NCT and very low miles are nice to have.

Sold an '01 of those earlier this year (almost exactly the same spec) for €825 with tax and long test and I had paid a lot less than that for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

1500.00 would be good

Why wouldn't the seller put it through the test for the sake of 50 quid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-swift/14047504

2005 1.3 swift 3dr
    Straight looking
    Tested till July 17
    Supposedly low miles
    Asking €1450

Not sure is there some colour match issues going on at the front

Tow Bar on a Swift :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement