Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

unkel wrote: »
    That's brake discs alright. Not expensive. You did very well buying if for €650!

A flipper, I presume?

Possibly after Xmas
    Will drive it for now.
    Yep it was very cheap, guy got a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Will drive it for now.

Really? With that crappy engine? You masochist :p

In their wisdom and not wanting to spend any money developing a small diesel engine, BMW thought that engine would be grand and bought if off Toyota to stick into their MINI.

Disaster. Even the people that didn't have a clue about cars and engines started to complain. Fast forward a few years and now all diesel engines in Toyota cars are bought from BMW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

In their wisdom and not wanting to spend any money developing a small diesel engine, BMW thought that engine would be grand and bought if off Toyota to stick into their MINI.

Disaster. Even the people that didn't have a clue about cars and engines started to complain. Fast forward a few years and now all diesel engines in Toyota cars are bought from BMW :)
    Actually that is not correct at all. Toyota still produce the 1.4d4d and still use it in their cars to this day. The 1.4d4d is a fine engine and is one of the best small diesel engines, even today.

Your post is very ignorant tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Actually that is not correct at all. Toyota still produce the 1.4d4d and still use it in their cars to this day. The 1.4d4d is a fine engine and is one of the best small diesel engines, even today.

Your post is very ignorant tbh

Nope, Toyota realised that their diesel engines couldn't compete with European technology and did a deal with BMW for diesel engines in return for electric technology.

The 1.4 D4D is a fine engine, but thats it. It is no better or no worse than the other 1.4 diesels out there realistically. But lets not that get in the way of some rose tinted rubbish eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Except for the fact that back in the early noughties it proved to be far more reliable than what psa or fiat or renault could come up with in terms of commonrail diesels under 1600cc.

But ya yeeehhaaaww circle the wagons we hate diesel cars unless of course when a euro diesel car is being compared to a Jap one then all euro diesels are great ;)

Ya'd think some well established posters would try and not ruin one of the few good threads on boards :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

166man wrote: »
    Nope, Toyota realised that their diesel engines couldn't compete with European technology and did a deal with BMW for diesel engines in return for electric technology.

The 1.4 D4D is a fine engine, but thats it. It is no better or no worse than the other 1.4 diesels out there realistically. But lets not that get in the way of some rose tinted rubbish eh? ;)

Toyota realised that the future ain't in diesel, outside of commercial, and instead invest in their hybrid technology rather than incur the development costs of a new generation of diesel motors wilth limited future.

Their 1.4d may be no better or worse than comparable motors out there but 15 odd years ago it was miles ahead

Yea it's just a frugal little noisy number, should appeal to the masses though.
    It drives fine, I would not regard it as unrefined on the road.
    Needs a valet though. No alloys, and hubcaps missing. He must have left them off after NCT. I might be able to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-323-i/14199418

NTJmNmFlOTEzYjRhM2NkZDE3ZmY0MzIzZTUyYjk4YzLnknSnblT-VgzdR9DfdMduaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjI3NDQzNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice looking 323i with leather and NCT to 9/17 for €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Except for the fact that back in the early noughties it proved to be far more reliable than what psa or fiat or renault could come up with in terms of commonrail diesels under 1600cc.

But ya yeeehhaaaww circle the wagons we hate diesel cars unless of course when a euro diesel car is being compared to a Jap one then all euro diesels are great ;)

Ya'd think some well established posters would try and not ruin one of the few good threads on boards :(

I'm surprised you inserted fiat in that, by the early 2000s their multijet engines were very good. Think 2003 they came out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you inserted fiat in that, by the early 2000s their multijet engines were very good. Think 2003 they came out?

Fiat was the company that started all this common rail diesel engine stuff if i remember correctly.

It was only cos they went broke they lost all patents and privileges of being the first makers/designers.

Modern common rail systems, whilst working on the same principle, are governed by an engine control unit (ECU) which opens each injector electrically rather than mechanically. This was extensively prototyped in the 1990s with collaboration between Magneti Marelli, Centro Ricerche Fiat and Elasis. After research and development by the Fiat Group, the design was acquired by the German company Robert Bosch GmbH for completion of development and refinement for mass-production. In hindsight, the sale appeared to be a strategic error for Fiat, as the new technology proved to be highly profitable. The company had little choice but to sell Bosch a licence, as it was in a poor financial state at the time and lacked the resources to complete development on its own.[5] In 1997 they extended its use for passenger cars. The first passenger car that used the common rail system was the 1997 model Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD,[6] and later on that same year Mercedes-Benz introduced it in their W202 model.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_rail

oblig pandanomics:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda/14038019
    nct apr 17

• Advertisement

Maybe because that engine gives it's fair share of problems and isn't exactly the most refined engine ever made either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Disaster. Even the people that didn't have a clue about cars and engines started to complain.

Never drove one in the mini - what were the disastrous issues with it?
    I heard it made them a little more nose heavy but I suspect that may have been exaggerated, how much more heavy could a 1.4d be versus a 1.6 petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Jaysus lads keep it on topic, please!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-323-i/14199418

NTJmNmFlOTEzYjRhM2NkZDE3ZmY0MzIzZTUyYjk4YzLnknSnblT-VgzdR9DfdMduaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjI3NDQzNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice looking 323i with leather and NCT to 9/17 for €500.

I wouldn't buy that D reg, the clutch'd be burnt out of it sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Maybe because that engine gives it's fair share of problems and isn't exactly the most refined engine ever made either.

It a wonder why any other car manufacturers even bother anymore. :pac:

NCT till next march and no reason why it wont go again for another year. Interior look very clean.

Its been for sale before, so I reckon 550 would land this so close to christmas.. Cheap car to run.

MzYwYjJhZWJjYjVlYWY4OTc4NTRiYWRhYmQ1YzJmMWSmLLapPE6KJcDP_8OeEmrPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTQyODM1NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Tbh the only reason I included it was due to it having quite a few cooling issues particularly when used in the opel combo but perhaps that was down to opel? But yes I would also put it ahead of the psa and Renault lumps of the time.

YWM0_Mj_Ri_NWNj_Ym_M2_NTQ2_Y2_Yx_Nm_Fm_OWQ3_MTVh_N2_Mw_MTLQUr7l.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-elegance-tax-april-17-nct-08-17/13499842

But anyways moving on I like the look of this and I don't think it's been on here before?
    2003 E class 2.6 auto
    Tested till the 27th of August 17
    Taxed till April 17
    Looks clean
    Asking €1750

No checks done as I'm on the phone but it seems fairly genuine.

Tbh the only reason I included it was due to it having quite a few cooling issues particularly when used in the opel combo but perhaps that was down to opel? But yes I would also put it ahead of the psa and Renault lumps of the time.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-elegance-tax-april-17-nct-08-17/13499842

But anyways moving on I like the look of this and I don't think it's been on here before?
    2003 E class 2.6 auto
    Taxed till April 17
    Looks clean
    Asking €1750

Tbh I think the psa unit is far ahead of that fiat engine. The 1.4 peugeot unit is actually decent enough as far as small engines go and doesn't really give that many problems. It's a little underpowered tough and the engine can get a little messy(oily) as they age.

Id also class the 1.5dci ahead of the fiat unit. They earlier ones did suffer from issues though.

2003 E class 2.6 auto
    Taxed till April 17
    Looks clean
    Asking €1750

It must be two months since I posted that. I know it's a big thirsty car etc but I'm very surprised it hasn't sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Two Merc estates. Both 2.0 petrol Auto, both with 12 months NCT. Classy way to get around.

2001 E200, NCT 01/18. Nice interior, seems to be well minded. €1550

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-7-seater-estate/13979926
    ZGUxZjM5ZWFkNjg1MjU1N2FkZTU4MGU4ODIyMDUzNjGH3gLMkvgJN6lnxOqgr-QmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTExMDcwM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

C200, NCT 12/17, €1250. No leather, but a very clean example and still a nice place to sit.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-c200-automatic-estate-new-nct12-2017/13234259
    MWY5MDY4ZWMzNTFjMjkwNTgxMGRiMWM0M2E5YzZmY2YFHm-rM6ga_ZJGG6T5GWYMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTA0MjY5Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

It must be two months since I posted that. I know it's a big thirsty car etc but I'm very surprised it hasn't sold.

To be fair, they take a lot of money to keep running right. I wouldnt recomened them on a bangernomics budget. My sister has a lovely one, but every time it goes for a service it needs something expensive. :(

• Advertisement

I had a sneaking suspicion I had seen it before there was quite a few mercs posted around the same time can be hard keep track. The tax is the real draw.

The running costs as said and also the time of year are doing it no favours though.

Genuine it is. Tax and test valid. And normal tax, not PSV.

Nice car, very good value for what it is. Can probably get some more money off as it has been for sale for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Genuine it is. Tax and test valid. And normal tax, not PSV.

Nice car, very good value for what it is. Can probably get some more money off as it has been for sale for some time.

what was the issue with the toyota diesel in the first gen new minis btw? :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e280-avantgarde-auto/14203371

Mzc1ODRmNzdlMTUwMjA1NDhhNWUxYjNiNjc4NDNkZDbFMUEf0wRx32OYPPn0xEvBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjI5MzA5NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Shame about that wing. Lovely old V6 thing with NCT to 6/17 €650. 1 owner and full history allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what was the issue with the toyota diesel in the first gen new minis btw? :)

I think there were a few that had overheating issues. The main reason they initially went with the 1.4 D-4D initially was that very few engines at the time would fit in the engine bay.

I would say it's a much more reliable engine than the 1.6 that replaced it, but it was underpowered in comparison. It's possible that the PSA engine was cheaper and had more certain supply too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Which problems were these?

Fiat were miles ahead of the competition with their common rail diesels. Some of the best engines out there. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-5-series-525d-es/14209497

Manual diesel 2.5
    Rare enough.
    The nct until mar 18 is key
    for 1k it's a cheap car

The nct until mar 18 is key

Eh yeah. Except it ran out of NCT many years ago :p

I wouldn't hold my breath for the seller to successfully put it through the test. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'd say that car will never have a valid NCT again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Skommando wrote: »
    Nice find, clean and low miles 8-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement