Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

unkel wrote: »
    Eh yeah. Except it ran out of NCT many years ago :p

I wouldn't hold my breath for the seller to successfully put it through the test. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'd say that car will never have a valid NCT again...

I don't get ya :confused:. The seller says it has a valid NCT till March '18.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It hasn't.

404339.png

404338.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

..........and if he did the test 3 months early how quickly does the NCT site update. He's hardly likely to claim '18 for '17 surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

'14 rather than '17 though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Further into the Bangernomics mindset today, as I just bought a 2003 2.0 D4D Avensis with new test. Saw the test report, it needed 1 tyre and one rear brake dust shield.
    It's driving really nicely, and much smoother than the 01 Passat it's replacing.
    Spaceship miles, but at 675 Euro, what would you expect?
    Picking it up Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Further into the Bangernomics mindset today, as I just bought a 2003 2.0 D4D Avensis with new test. Saw the test report, it needed 1 tyre and one rear brake dust shield.
    It's driving really nicely, and much smoother than the 01 Passat it's replacing.
    Spaceship miles, but at 675 Euro, what would you expect?
    Picking it up Thursday.

Well wear, but could you not find another passat. Does the Avensis have a towbar?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

tanko wrote: »
    Well wear, but could you not find another passat. Does the Avensis have a towbar?:pac:

Gone off the Passats a bit. They (nearly) always get you there and home again, its just niggly little things that finally get to you. Passed the test in Sept. with a bit of work.Just boost sensors and the like, air leaks now and then, let me down before the weekend when the belt/tensioner got weak and the battery slowly ran down leaving me with three miles to get home on the side lights, as things shut down one by one, and warning lights came on, including the ABS and stability control.
    The headlight adjustment give up a month ago, in the lowest position, like driving with two candles, and yesterday the fuel filler cap switch stopped working.
    So, first Jap car in fifteen years. And no towbar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Are we allowed post our own cars in here if they fall into the bangernomics category?

Of course, it's good form to say it's yours and once it fits the bill, fire away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes we are! As long as you clearly say it's your own car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On topic slightly but the vectra GTS was one of the most disappointing cars I've driven. In that my expectations were off.
    Years ago one of the other salesmen in the garage I worked in traded one in on a Friday afternoon. When I saw it outside with the body kit and fake air vents in front of the wheels I said "I'm taking that for the weekend"
    I was met with no resistance and it was parked outside the gate for me.
    Imagine my disappointment when I found out it wasn't a fire breathing turbocharged super saloon :)

Good look with the sale. They look the part anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I vrt'd and sold that 525d back in 2006. Think I sold it for about €26k and the vrt was €5 or 6k.
    (Garage, not personal car)

When I sold it, it had different wheels and cloth seats. Bit of a manky spec actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Gone off the Passats a bit. They (nearly) always get you there and home again, its just niggly little things that finally get to you. Passed the test in Sept. with a bit of work.Just boost sensors and the like, air leaks now and then, let me down before the weekend when the belt/tensioner got weak and the battery slowly ran down leaving me with three miles to get home on the side lights, as things shut down one by one, and warning lights came on, including the ABS and stability control.
    The headlight adjustment give up a month ago, in the lowest position, like driving with two candles, and yesterday the fuel filler cap switch stopped working.
    So, first Jap car in fifteen years. And no towbar!

You won't know yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-polo-with-genuine-low-mileage-2003/14214851

Drove one of these on a daily basis up until about two years ago. It's not going to set your world on fire but it's taxed until April. Short(ish) NCT til April as well so maybe some wiggle room on the price. I'd prefer this to the heap I have at the moment (MK1 Focus).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi Lads,

I'm on the lookout for a banger. The Bora is due nct in janurary and not a chance it'll pass.

I've about 1000 - 1500 there to spend so anything decent please post.. :)

carzony wrote: »

Just keep an eye on this thread (and maybe look through the last few pages) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

carzony wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I'm on the lookout for a banger. The Bora is due nct in janurary and not a chance it'll pass.

Define "decent"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

flazio wrote: »
    Define "decent"

I'm really not that picky just something with a long nct and small engined 1.4 would be ideal.

I'm think of maybe a peugeot 307/citroen c4.. I had a c4 before and it was reliable enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-hrv-1-6l-nct-04-17-tax-04-17/14216352

Taxed till 04/17 and nct 04/17
    Pretty much free at that rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Don't think this has been mentioned here yet, NCT to Jan 18. Haven't driven one but heard they're comfortable and spacious

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/13996055
    Peugeot 607

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-bmw-520-new-nct-01-18-2-2-petrol/14217131

NWIxN2IyOGZmNTM5NDZkYTU5ZWRlMWRkOWJkNjkwMmXm1HUn3mleLINVJTS1o5GYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjM3MTA1N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

05 E60 automatic with leather and NCT to 2018 for €1750. Cheap for "premium" motoring

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-2-0t-s-nct-tested-until-july-2017-c/14185567

OTI1NjY3ZGM0YTczZjNkMGQ4MDgyNjQxMTU1NGZkZTh4FaaDRC3yP7BpchBIAdOfaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjM3MDExNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

If the budget doesn't stretch so much; 05 2.0t manual with NCT to 7/17 for €950.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-nissan-micra-1-0-37k-miles-like-new-nct-tax/14214105

NTAyMjBmZmE4OWMwNzZkOWE0MjhhNWRhYWE0ZjFmOTkUN2BQN5PR9uBaliK85qbraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjM1NDA5Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Just over 3 months tax and test, but 37k miles apparently. €750, might be worth that for a cheap runaround

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

That Nissan is 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yz_Zm_ODQ2_NWZh_MWVj_ZGQy_ODU1_Mj_Iz_NGM5_MDFl_OTRh_YTF1_K4_HS.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-toledo/14097338

Kinda interesting tdi Toledo
    05 reg
    Non pd 110bhp engine (hard get a more reliable and less complicated diesel engine in an 05)
    1 owner according to cars Ireland
    Test till October 17
    Tax till April 17
    256k on the clock
    Looks clean apart from chipping on the back bumper.
    Interior isn't as bad as one would expect either
    Asking €850

Non pd? I know very little about diesel engines and even less about VAG diesels, but I thought all the VAG turbo diesel engines of that era had been pd for years and they switched to common rail a few years later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Moving back to Ireland in July/August so will be looking here for some ideas.

Currently in NZ bought a 99 1.6 Golf with 158000km needs a timing belt soon along with a few more bits, multiple mechanics (indo & indo at car fair) told me I got a good deal at 3000$ so 2000e, so many older cars here are far higher in price but bigger engines, low tax and optional insurance. It's a far cry from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

NWIxN2IyOGZmNTM5NDZkYTU5ZWRlMWRkOWJkNjkwMmXm1HUn3mleLINVJTS1o5GYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjM3MTA1N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

How does the M54B22 compare with the N43B20 in later E60 520i? I'm currently driving the M54B25 E39 and considering a move to E60 or E61.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement