Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

These cars have a bit of a following (and so they should). Presuming the car is very clean and the damage is only very light, I'd advertise for €875 and I'd accept the first reasonable offer, but I would hold out for at least €500. The fact that it is now 15 years old doesn't help with insurance though. It is the old model, I presume. The newer model is kak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Thanks very much folks. I have pictures of it but I'll wait until I physically have it (Tuesday or Wednesday) before I advertise it! Will post a linky here then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Murt102 wrote: »
    Spare wheel has never even been used

Never got this as a selling point... :confused: just got lucky I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

homer90 wrote: »

Well looked after in most cases and original which does go well for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Would a 15-year-old tyre not be fit for the bin though? I replace my tyres every 6 years even if they aren't worn enough to be changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd rather be looking at a 15 year old tyre than a can of foam.

NzRiMzJmMzU0MzcwOTI1MTRlMzRjZWJjYjMxNzlhOGP8oxI2qFH1XGpW_URjfBsiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzEzODk4N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golft-gti/14331603

Golf GTi

Nct to Jan 18
    Tax to May 17
    Timing belt just done

€500
    bigstock-Scam-Alert-stamp-68127799_600x600-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

job seeker wrote: »
    Would a 15-year-old tyre not be fit for the bin though? I replace my tyres every 6 years even if they aren't worn enough to be changed.

UV degrades the tyre more than anything. It should be safe enough being in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

NzRiMzJmMzU0MzcwOTI1MTRlMzRjZWJjYjMxNzlhOGP8oxI2qFH1XGpW_URjfBsiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzEzODk4N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Golf GTi

Nct to Jan 18
    Tax to May 17
    Timing belt just done

€500

Big reduction from €1750

Dodgy dodgy dodgy

Big reduction from €1750

Dodgy dodgy dodgy

I would run alright.

• Advertisement

Yeah just spotted that..... Newly registered on DD too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14312966
    Bmw 320d touring

Has anyone ever bought from Chris?
    Am I right in thinking he has featured in this thread before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Golf GTi

Nct to Jan 18
    Tax to May 17
    Timing belt just done

€500
    bigstock-Scam-Alert-stamp-68127799_600x600-1.jpg

Slightly off topic, where do people see the value of mk4 GTI's? What are they worth all things considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What about the Mk3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    MKIV Golf GTI's are widely considered the worst of all the Golf GTI's. Underpowered, heavy and didn't handle that well. Avoid!

They would make a nice GT though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What about the Mk3?

They were the same. TBH the Mk2 wasn't really all that fast either, compared to the competition. But if you aren't looking for fast hatch performance.

I always the though non GTI hatchbacks with a bigger petrol engine, make very comfy cruisers. So if you consider these GTI as cruisers rather than hot hatches they work best like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

MKIV Golf GTI's are widely considered the worst of all the Golf GTI's. Underpowered, heavy and didn't handle that well. Avoid!

Are they? I always thought it was the mk3 that was the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭C0N0R

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Are they? I always thought it was the mk3 that was the worst.

The mk3 were the worst from my knowledge, mk4 isn't true to the gti name as such, but do make a comfortable cruiser, I have a 180bhp variant and while it's by no means a rocket it isn't slow either.

What is a tidy mk4 worth is my question!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Rubbish. The 1.8T is one of the most versatile and stable engines of that era. Small money will you up to 250bhp. This "opinion" is always bandied about without any consideration given to if it has any merit.

The Mk4 is very soft. Remember they badged the 2.0 115bhp as GTI aswell. Same in the Mk3.

You'd have to careful checking the 1.8T that the turbo is ok. Because you don't want to be spending much money on it.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Rubbish. The 1.8T is one of the most versatile and stable engines of that era. Small money will you up to 250bhp. This "opinion" is always bandied about without any consideration given to if it has any merit.

+1
    Have driven a few cars with the 1.8T engine. While not lightning fast, found it to be very good and at the same time returning very reasonable mpg.

Edit...... Service history is a must, with evidence of fully synthetic oils being used. Some have been known to 'sludge' up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I had a 1.8T powered Audi TT so I am well familiar with the engine. The MKIV had initially just over 115bhp then got the 1.8T which brought it up to 150bhp (later got an upgrade). There are far better hot hatches to buy from that era. The MKIV didn't handle well unless modified. The interiors on them also tended to fall apart at an alarming rate.

The award for the worst gti still goes to the mk3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I had a 1.8T powered Audi TT so I am well familiar with the engine. The MKIV had initially just over 115bhp then got the 1.8T which brought it up to 150bhp (later got an upgrade). There are far better hot hatches to buy from that era. The MKIV didn't handle well unless modified. The interiors on them also tended to fall apart at an alarming rate.

A cup kit, uprated ARB and wishbones and it'll handle as well as most other cars from that era. The 150bhp from the 1.8T was adequate but wouldn't blow you away. The upgrade options available for Golf owners make 180bhp available with a simple remap, and anywhere up to 250bhp available with a simple turbo upgrade. It's a very customizable car, and this is where it wins out against many others.

As for the interior. I have had several mk4 Golfs and have never had any problems with interiors, so your claim they "fall apart at an alarming rate" is laughable and based on hearsay. I've actually never heard of anyone complain about the interiors and most find it vastly superior to the japanese equivalent on this front. The Recaros that come in the GTI is practical, comfortable and supportive, and that's from my experience, not something I read online or heard down the pub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

NWI0YzhhNjU0MWQwMDVmOTYyYTgwZDVlYTgwOGUxODiYaf47Mt-ZibPvjoZgJwT7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzI3NjMyNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

1950. Nct till 02/18. Interior pics would be nice. 1.9 diesel. 140kms https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-gt-diesel-04-new-nct-02-18/14345714

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

beauf wrote: »
    They would make a nice GT though.

I have 99 mkIV GTI. Will have it 10 years in July. It's been rock solid for me for all that time and I am very reluctant to let it go. It won't blow your socks off but as said above its perfect as GT.

ray o wrote: »
    I have 99 mkIV GTI. Will have it 10 years in July. It's been rock solid for me for all that time and I am very reluctant to let it go. It won't blow your socks off but as said above its perfect as GT.

At one point they were one of the most sought after for robberies as cops had nothing to keep up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

[IMG][/img]https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-1-6-zetec-s-quick-sale/14105549

Miles are up there, thin on test, but,

-high lift cams
    -induction kit
    -adjustable front struts
    -drilled and grooved disks
    -uprated brake pads
    -between 140-150 hp
    -no expense spared maintaining this car

Also have folder with thousands of euro worth of receipts

Screams Mondello to me.:cool:

Is the 1.6 a scaled up 1.2? Looks very like it, engine bay not that clean but at 170k maybe no suprise, must be due a timing belt or had one.
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    id say that would be rough if you were standing in front of it, but suppose it is a 07 for cheap.

That was here before I think, looks familiar, I recall the pop out for the tow eye injury bumper, seems cheap for the mileage and from what can be seen of each side looks undamaged, wonder what's the deal?/up with it? Dealer took as a trade and just offloading it ?If it's the same 1.8 that was in some focuses I heard it's heavy on petrol, reliable?
    unkel wrote: »
    The dealer comes up here a lot. Nothing untoward I think, they seem have a huge turnover and their prices are about as low as they get for dealer prices. I've no experience with them myself, but I wouldn't expect the car to be in mint condition, needing nothing, for this kinda price :)

What dealer? As seems to be gone
    Murt102 wrote: »
    Uncle is giving me his 2002 Nissan Primera 1.6 petrol to sell for him next week. What kind of money should I be expecting to get?

93k miles
    He's the second owner from new (he bought it from a family member)
    NCT 09-17
    Tax 03-17
    Recently got a full service
    New tyres
    Alloys
    Spare wheel has never even been used
    Very clean all around except the previous owner had a tip with a pillar so there's light damage on the passenger rear above the wheel arch
    And then has all the usual bits a Primera usually has

These have a following? 500? Makes me think my car is worth similar if I'm lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

cerastes wrote: »
    That was here before I think, looks familiar, I recall the pop out for the tow eye injury bumper, seems cheap for the mileage and from what can be seen of each side looks undamaged, wonder what's the deal?/up with it? Dealer took as a trade and just offloading it ?If it's the same 1.8 that was in some focuses I heard it's heavy on petrol, reliable?

As I posted that car a while back cerastes..... Although I've drove worse I'm not a fan of Fords from that era. Brother had a 01 (same model) and it had an extremely healthy appetite for oil. As I recall it had a Endura E engine in it - 1.8 petrol. Sister had a 01 1.4 Zetec Focus and it had the same problem although less pronounced. It otherwise gave a fair share of problems although sister drove it through a very deep pool of water in the end which didn't help at all - it had its problems from soon after day 1 in her ownership though. In fairness both cars were very solid on the road for what they were and comfy too. I do acknowledge that both cars were bought used without service histories on either, but still. Both were heavy on juice although I'd say they were both relatively heavy cars.

Would I drive one - from a bangernomics point of view - yes I certainly would. If I got one for very handy money just like the one I posted that is well up on years for the asking price. It does look pretty rough and ready but for someone whos not bothered by that and is looking for a reasonable size family saloon for reasonable money that will allow them a bit of leverage in getting insurance quotes in due to the year it might be just the ticket - and that's the reason I posted it here. You certainly won't get a similar model ready to go Toyota or VW from the same year for even near the same money.

In true bangernomics fashion I'd hope for the best but to be prepared to ditch it and move on and start again if something very costly to rectify went wrong - initial outlay wasn't severe in the first place so could stomach it (assuming it didn't happen 2/3 days after buying it!).

I would guess the dealer took it in as a trade in and is pricing it to turn it over as quickly as possible - sold as seen I would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

A relative, had the original style/facelifted focus in 1.8 of UK origin, low miles but it was heavy on the petrol, otherwise they liked it, was reliable but it had a bit of rust around the boot and maybe elsewhere unseen, they sold it as they wanted to lower tax for the miles they do, but they said it was a comfortable car.
    Id be tempted by the Mondeo if I wasn't driving in bangernomics territory, Ive a 1.9Tdi Octavia of 01 heritage, clean with low miles, good mpg, (reliable-fingers crossed). Put a bit of money into replacing a part on it last year to keep it going, but only because the rest of it is so good. If I can hold onto it another 2 years without taking another big cost, I'll be happy but if I can push that some more it'd be better. I actually like Fords of that era and before, but the petrol costs and potential for rust puts me off older ones, if I was looking to change I'd chance my arm at that mondeo though, it seemed so cheap, you'd think something was up with it.

At this stage I valued mine at 550, but I see them advertised for way more, Nissan do an online calculator for trade ins on the Leaf and out of curiosity put my car details in and came back with €1400 :eek:,

I drool over the jags in here though, Id be very happy with an X-type which I think is the same as that era mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MWIxZmE3NzE2MTJkNDIzZTUwYWVmMGQ2NTA0MTM0YjkuJ5Qo7pxt6qDvff38YV0baHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTU1MjEzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-1-8-litre-petrol/13331595

Test til August for €750 and claimed recent service.

Would you get classic on this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement