Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The insurance situation, the tax situation and i know its case by case but DPF aside you never really see a petrol car nending a new flywheel, injector, EGR, turbo etc which are popular and expensive fails on lots of ageing diesels...

Popular? No doubt repairs of all kinds are required for older cars, but I've been merrily driving an A2 TDi for years without need for any engine repairs to date. Only repairs have been suspension and electrical related. Tax is not that big an issue either. It's pretty much insurance is the fly in the ointment.

Edit: disclosure - I did have the EGR bypassed while getting a remap a few years back, so that's out of the equation. Was a cheap and painless mod though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

V6 Alfa sold already...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

wiz569 wrote: »
    Depends on where your driving tbh,

I have a 1.6 avensis that does 28mpg around town but will easily do 45-50mpg on a long run.

About 600 km a week mostly motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

colm_mcm wrote: »
    B5.5 Passat that isn't wrecked. If such a thing still exists

Parts are dearish especially steering arms/bushings better off with something off the mk4 golf platform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

About 600 km a week mostly motorway.

Well when I do a run from here to Rathvilly using the N81 I can hit 45-50mpg no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Parts are dearish especially steering arms/bushings better off with something off the mk4 golf platform

And then life's too short to drive a mk4 Golf.

Have 2k to spend on a Diesel, dont want to go above 2.0.....whats the best option?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-seat-toledo-1-9-tdi-110-bhp-850/14417691

Simple non pd tdi yet still not too old at 2004

2 owners according to cars Ireland
    Test till May
    150k miles on the clock
    Asking €850

Things to look out for would be flywheel rattle/clutch slip
    Large Boost leaks (lack of power and loud hissing noises)
    Then just really a good visual inspection oil leaks/coolant leaks and ask about service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-seat-toledo-1-9-tdi-110-bhp-850/14417691

Simple non pd tdi yet still not too old at 2004

2 owners according to cars Ireland
    Test till May
    150k miles on the clock
    Asking €850

Things to look out for would be flywheel rattle/clutch slip
    Large Boost leaks (lack of power and loud hissing noises)
    Then just really a good visual inspection oil leaks/coolant leaks and ask about service history.

Oh and burn those seat covers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Oh and burn those seat covers

They are the best seat covers on the market believe it or not :p

• Advertisement

Few Octavia's floating about, anything to look out for on them bar being a ex taxi?

Few Octavia's floating about, anything to look out for on them bar being a ex taxi?

I was driving a new-ish Mk1 shape TDI Octavia very recently. I really would not fancy doing high mileage in one. The seats are horribly unsupportive. Maybe it was just me, but I'd look for a comfortline Passat/Golf/Bora...or is there a Skoda equivalent of that spec?

I was driving a new-ish Mk1 shape TDI Octavia very recently. I really would not fancy doing high mileage in one. The seats are horribly unsupportive. Maybe it was just me, but I'd look for a comfortline Passat/Golf/Bora...or is there a Skoda equivalent of that spec?

Passat is an option.

Passat is an option.

Passat/a4 is a step down in reliability from an octavia/bora/golf/toledo. Hence why they're cheaper than them now.

The problem with octavia's is a lot are 100bhp pd and low spec now if you could stretch the budget youd get an 08 mk1 cheap tax one from the UK it'd be low on spec but only 200 to tax.

The recaros in gttdi cars are great for support and comfort.
    Comfort line seats do what they say on the tin they're like a big armchair. High line seats are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They are the best seat covers on the market believe it or not :p

Made in Ireland too AFAIK. Hopefully the seats are in good condition underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Made in Ireland too AFAIK. Hopefully the seats are in good condition underneath.

It's funny but any car I see them fitted to is usually well looked after and well cared for by their owners. They are very expensive covers too.

Yeah. A neighbour used to get them for his Sierras and later Mondeos - they're vile though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

alastair wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14182801
    Audi A2 1.4 TDi diesel, panoramic roof, low miles

Didn't know Audi lost €5k on every A2 sold.

Maybe it's the Lexus LF-A he's thinking about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Doesn't look like it has a rev range at all, more and on/ off switch. Idles at 1k and redlines at 4k. I know a 1.4d city car isn't driven for kicks but it must make for an interesting drive.

Soarer wrote: »
    Didn't know Audi lost €5k on every A2 sold.

Maybe it's the Lexus LF-A he's thinking about?!

Yeah, they reportedly lost about a billion USD on them. They only built 170,000 of them though, so a lot of that would have been design. Sure they were expensive to build too, but that's not mainly why they lost money.
    Anyway, big picture wise, it gave them a head start on small economical diesels. The mechanicals made their way onto other VAG cars (albeit without the aluminium bodies)
    Think of it like the Phaeton or the Veyron, they're just marketing exercises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I do like those estates... turn up with a grand I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

I do like those estates... turn up with a grand I'd say.

It's actually one of the few estates I don't like. Just can't take the rear of it.

The facelift estate is a lot more conventional looking.

IMG_0017.jpg

It'll be a while till this thread sees one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/sell/14422270

NmFiN2JkMGY4ZDI2NDlhMGY1MTJlMzg1NTZiMWZiM2Iyosom4wgzsqOZuPo1NkXYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzgyMDU5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Not a V6 but a more reasonable two litre, NCT to 1/18, €500.

Mj_Rh_ZTNh_Yzk5_Yj_Jh_YTA1_MTJm_MWU0_OWY5_ZDk2_ODMy_OWHZHq_Av.jpg

MTdm_Mjhk_Mm_E1_Nm_I3_Mj_Vh_ODIy_N2_Y2_NTlm_Zj_Az_OTM3_Yzcbq_Ijy.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-tdi-110bhp-top-spec/14420858

As run of the mill 110bhp tdi octavia's go this one looks nice.
    2 irish owners
    tested till june
    180k on the clock
    supposedly well minded
    but above all its the Laurin & Klement trim
    Asking €1450

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The facelift estate is a lot more conventional looking.

IMG_0017.jpg

It'll be a while till this thread sees one.

If you buy an estate for practicality and space the Mk8 Accord Tourer isn't either.
    The saloon has a bigger boot than the estate!

The Mk7 estate has a massive boot@626litres compared to any comparable car including the V70/Passat/Mondeo, fair enough the styling is an aquired taste though.

Mj_Rh_ZTNh_Yzk5_Yj_Jh_YTA1_MTJm_MWU0_OWY5_ZDk2_ODMy_OWHZHq_Av.jpg

MTdm_Mjhk_Mm_E1_Nm_I3_Mj_Vh_ODIy_N2_Y2_NTlm_Zj_Az_OTM3_Yzcbq_Ijy.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-tdi-110bhp-top-spec/14420858

As run of the mill 110bhp tdi octavia's go this one looks nice.
    2 irish owners
    tested till june
    180k on the clock
    supposedly well minded
    but above all its the Laurin & Klement trim
    Asking €1450

Thats a great find

Those L&K models are quite nice. They even did one in the Felicia Iirc.

You'd never normally see those 4 buttons over the vents on most octavias

IMG_1340.jpg

Not to mind the ones under the radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There is a newish superb l&k parked near my place and it's a lovely looking car inside.
    Re the l&k edition, are they generally a trim that has all the spec included? Or is it simply a name for the version?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement