Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd say the Accord has seen some flogging. Type R replica gear knob and it still has 3M tape on the bootlid where someone has removed a spoiler bodge, it has a MaxPoweresque exhaust, bee sting aerial and jet black tints.

Not that it matters a whole bunch @ €295 but if the clutch is hanging out of it or the tyres are bald it's hardly worthwhile. You'd get a tidy one for €5-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

2004 C180 with 180k

On plus side - nice colour and interior combo and alleged timing chain done at 160K

Against - short NCT and its manual.

At 1200 euro it could be the cheap merc that wont break you.

MWUyZDY0ZDg4YmI1YTlhN2U1MDM4ZGU5N2U0NTViZGFqj7RFlj5WUrY83QbZMzMFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODAwMjgxNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Indeed. 6 weeks test is a bit light for my liking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Indeed. 6 weeks test is a bit light for my liking though.

I thought so too, but its short enough to get the seller to put it through as a bargaining chip.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-peugeot-406-new-nct-02-2018/14426723

ZGNlNzM3ZjgzN2MyNTJiM2ZkN2RkNzA0NzcwZmFhN2Q5AFAnCR_8k4YbfF3kxchPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182Nzg0MzQyN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

New tyres , over a years test
    New belt and original condition
    Cheap motor for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-peugeot-406-new-nct-02-2018/14426723

ZGNlNzM3ZjgzN2MyNTJiM2ZkN2RkNzA0NzcwZmFhN2Q5AFAnCR_8k4YbfF3kxchPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182Nzg0MzQyN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

New tyres , over a years test
    New belt and original condition
    Cheap motor for a year

Nice car but 1.8, not 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I was wondering if that was actually a 1.6

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s320/14414414

Real shame about such high tax on such nice cars.

• Advertisement

Cars with big engines use more fuel and pay more tax because of it, so I don't see why they should need high road tax on top of the low mpg .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s320/14414414

Real shame about such high tax on such nice cars.

Are they suds or paint peeling by the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Soarer wrote: »

It's a 16 year old car that once was €100k and now not much over €1k.

Who cares? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can get a refund on the tax if you scrap it.
    i know that plus 100 from the scrappie, the engine is mint i recon i should take it out first as it should be easy to sell on, the engine was flusshed out and new oil and filters put in a 1,000 miles back

Soarer wrote: »

Looks like it just went through the car wash beside it in picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cars with big engines use more fuel and pay more tax because of it, so I don't see why they should need high road tax on top of the low mpg .

Its all in the admin costs and training admin staff to tap in higher incremental values.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

raddo wrote: »
    I can't comment on the 1.8. That car looks like a well cared for example though. Good find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Some of those were "flexi fuel" engines which ran better on high ethanol petrol.

Which was very dirty and was outlawed by the Greens in favour of nice clean low emissions diesel.

http://www.theaa.ie/blog/so-long-ethanol/

The Greens were either ignorant fools or fans of cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

unkel wrote: »
    The Greens were either ignorant fools or fans of cancer.

Perhaps you shouldn't be trying to hype up the relationship between diesel particles and cancer? The scientific evidence is that the risks posed at the emission levels applicable in most people's cases are low - it's really only a practical concern for those who have to work around diesel emissions on a constant basis. On the scale of lots of things that can cause cancer, it's pretty far down - alcohol for instance, puts it in the halfpenny place.

alastair wrote: »
    Perhaps you shouldn't be trying to hype up the relationship between diesel particles and cancer? The scientific evidence is that the risks posed at the emission levels applicable in most people's cases are low

Seriously???

From the front page of the Sunday Times a few months ago:

"Diesel is the No 1 source of toxic air pollutants. Diesel particulates are carcinogenic and highly damaging to human organs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Seriously???

"Diesel is the No 1 source of toxic air pollutants. Diesel particulates are carcinogenic and highly damaging to human organs"

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Seriously???

Yes seriously. Rather than Sunday Times headlines, it might be better to read what the science, and cancer research advocacy groups actually say on the evidence?
    Just because something is in IARC’s top level category, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s public health enemy number one – it’s more complex than that. As Professor Phillips explains, “IARC does ‘hazard identification’, not ‘risk assessment’.

“That sounds quite technical, but what it means is that IARC isn’t in the business of telling us how potent something is in causing cancer – only whether it does so or not”, he says.

To take an analogy, think of banana skins. They definitely can cause accidents – but in practice this doesn’t happen very often (unless you work in a banana factory). And the sort of harm you can come to from slipping on a banana skin isn’t generally as severe as, say, being in a car accident.

But under a hazard identification system like IARC’s, ‘banana skins’ and ‘cars’ would come under the same category – they both definitely do cause accidents.
    http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2012/06/14/diesel-fumes-definitely-cause-cancer-should-we-be-worried/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sure I read in the paper this morning that making your roast potatoes too crispy on the outside can give you cancer. The same for well-done toast. FFS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/22/government-warning-roast-potato-cancer-link-massive-overreaction/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

bear1 wrote: »
    That accord. I mean drive it till the nct is up and flog it for the same price. Free motoring.

Assuming it drives ok at all, it looks shagged, not sure how anyone would sell it, unless as a donor car? It looks like there are cleaner cars available for not much more. Do you even get money for scrap cars? are they worth it? I heard some places will take them away for a fee, at the least it'd be ok to get €150 for something for scrap, but a shame for a much better car to dispose of in that way, this one looks like scrap already and the only thing that appears to be going for it is the 6 months of NCT, the 406 and a few of the Volvos shown on the same page look like much better options, at least they removed the spoiler and gearknob was it just as worn as the carpet? Not so convinced that one would be free motoring but interesting to see whats out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

emeldc wrote: »
    Sure I read in the paper this morning that making your roast potatoes too crispy on the outside can give you cancer. The same for well-done toast. FFS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/22/government-warning-roast-potato-cancer-link-massive-overreaction/

We're here for the bangers not the mash!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

I called him a few months ago when it was up North.
    He purchased it through trade from Monaghan & Sons, Galway main dealers in Galway.

1 owner from new (before him obviously)
    He put 2 wishbones into it for the NCT which it passed
    Comes with 1 key (€250 to replace main dealers only )
    He said the body is in great nick (one of the plastic covers is missing from the wing mirror as can be seen in photos but you might not spot it at first glance)

The reason I didn't go for it was it was at the time there was no change of ownership showing up for it and he didn't have the taxbook. I didn't fancy driving all the way up and coming down with a car with no paperwork.

I'd think it's worth looking at if your in the market, he seemed sound enough to talk to over the phone. It would be in my drive at the minute if he'd had the logbook.

2k was what he'd take at the time (was up for 2150) but that was November time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

A4 diesel estate, New NCT 01/18. New tyres, check the brand to see how well it was minded.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-estate-fresh-nct/13781134

OTgxYTc5MTRlYjA2OWJjMTE2MmIxMjM3YWMzYTU3YTcPoq2lK7oQmd6WmvkyEmw4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NDA2NjE4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm in the market again for a new banger. The ould C5 calved over the weekend. Clutch pedal completely gone with no pressure. I dropped it into the mechanic to see on the off chance it's just a slave cylinder but if the box has to come out then I'll drop it to the scrap yard.

Was thinking about this. Got stung with a 3 series before that I picked up as a banger but this one looks decent for the money.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-bmw-316i-m-sport-nctd/14458760

OTFiOGEwMzQxNzNiMmJhNGJmNWM5YmVhYzNjMDliZjl2D6i-RkQ_jAs2Caq9vcuIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODAyMjIwOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

316 M Sport
    Test till the end of March
    €875

Hard to really go too far wrong with it.

That Audi in Donegal looks like a real tempter to me too but it's probably a few hundred over my budget given I didn't have time to save up for the car and have to go with current funds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement