Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

Make sure the windows work

Work?
    If one owns a Megane, one is doing well if they stay up!
    Working windows is being very optimistic.
    I dated a girl with a Megane once. For Christmas I bought her a window regulator.
    What did you buy me that for she asked? There is nothing wrong with my windows..
    Not this week there isn't, I replied. Won't be long..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

MrRolex wrote: »
    I wish you the best of luck with it. The 1.8 petrol is OK, but thirsty. At least you wont have any of the 1.6 HDI DPF woes, that is a real dog of a car. I think the 2.0 HDI is the best one of the 407 range. The way I see it is this, if one is weighing up 636 tax on a 1.8, one may as well go for the 2.0 and pay 710; for the diesel economy. Having said that, the 1.8 will do you if you don't do many miles. A years NCT is fair enough as he was getting top money for an '06 at that price. Hard to sell a petrol 407 when the diesels are favoured.

I just like a petrol, always buy them but would have picked up a diesel had I seen one that I liked for the money I had.

Yeah the 1.6d is a heap. I looked at one last week and the DPF light was on. Typical.

I generally drive them till they drop anyway so resale has never mattered to me at this price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Work?
    If one owns a Megane, one is doing well if they stay up!
    Working windows is being very optimistic.
    I dated a girl with a Megane once. For Christmas I bought her a window regulator.
    What did you buy me that for she asked? There is nothing wrong with my windows..
    Not this week there isn't, I replied. Won't be long..

You old romantic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You old romantic!

You aren't wrong.
    She got a new steam iron for her birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-bmw-316i-new-nct-02-18/14574283

NjRkZmYwMTk2YTVkZjkyOWY0YzA5MTQ1NzQyYzAyYjNNZ1-9JQi5ezS6BdhG6t6JaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODY2MDY4Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I like these late E46 saloons. NCT'd till 2/18, bitta tax (2/17) and nice leather for less than €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-uno/14186933

NWY5YTAxOGMyYmM0NzMyZTkyZmQ2YTYxNTA0YzBiNzgiWL6Y78tGQ80pfU43nDQPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjIwNzA1MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Ohh..cheap tax, and classic in two years, NCT to 10/17, classic insurance and loads of recent work. Yeah its a grand but still..

Liked that Uno. It's back up now for 2 grand !!. Some serious price increase.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Asking advice...

I bought a banger last year - 2005 Nissan Tino - ugly as hell but only €325.
    Has failed the NCT on a few things. Nothing too major, but several things together this year add up. Ball joints, tyres, track rods, brake pipes and the big one is a front shock - for some reason these are astronomically expensive in a Tino.

Will cost €450 to fix using a second hand shock (risk of failure again with this).

I'm on the fence about fixing it up for another year or ditching and buying another cheap car.
    Reasons for keeping - I've owned it for a year & know it's solid, serviced it during the summer w/2 new tyres. All these bits now would last a couple of years, if done. It's only a 2005 car - relatively young.
    Reasons for ditching - Don't particularly like the car. Would struggle to recoup the investment if I sold it. Took a full 5 mins for it to pass the emmissions test - might be minor but could be a symptom of something.

Any thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

TigerTim wrote: »
    Liked that Uno. It's back up now for 2 grand !!. Some serious price increase.

T.

I remember seeing that and thinking the same the first time it was up for sale, at what...under €1k iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

aw wrote: »
    Asking advice...

I bought a banger last year - 2005 Nissan Tino - ugly as hell but only €325.
    Has failed the NCT on a few things. Nothing too major, but several things together this year add up. Ball joints, tyres, track rods, brake pipes and the big one is a front shock - for some reason these are astronomically expensive in a Tino.

Will cost €450 to fix using a second hand shock (risk of failure again with this).

I'm on the fence about fixing it up for another year or ditching and buying another cheap car.
    Reasons for keeping - I've owned it for a year & know it's solid, serviced it during the summer w/2 new tyres. All these bits now would last a couple of years, if done. It's only a 2005 car - relatively young.
    Reasons for ditching - Don't particularly like the car. Would struggle to recoup the investment if I sold it. Took a full 5 mins for it to pass the emmissions test - might be minor but could be a symptom of something.

Any thoughts welcome.

well if you do up the numbers 450 for shocks another 100-150 for set of tyres 2nd hand
    thats 600 plus 200-300 for all the rest your looking at the guts of 800-1000 to get it right and driving for another few years.
    which is a major plus......
    but you will still have to spend on belts, clutches, service etc....

but you dont like it. thats the main thing I get from your post.
    If thats the case change it.

Scrap it and Save the money you spend on it to get it right and find something in your budget.
    Plenty of decent cars out there from 500 up. you can see them regular as clock work on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-bmw-316i-new-nct-02-18/14574283

NjRkZmYwMTk2YTVkZjkyOWY0YzA5MTQ1NzQyYzAyYjNNZ1-9JQi5ezS6BdhG6t6JaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODY2MDY4Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I like these late E46 saloons. NCT'd till 2/18, bitta tax (2/17) and nice leather for less than €1500

Reliability wise, how are the 1.8s?

If you were to be on the look out for anything when going to see it, anything come to mind?

kupus wrote: »
    well if you do up the numbers 450 for shocks another 100-150 for set of tyres 2nd hand
    thats 600 plus 200-300 for all the rest your looking at the guts of 800-1000 to get it right and driving for another few years.
    which is a major plus......
    but you will still have to spend on belts, clutches, service etc....

but you dont like it. thats the main thing I get from your post.
    If thats the case change it.

Scrap it and Save the money you spend on it to get it right and find something in your budget.
    Plenty of decent cars out there from 500 up. you can see them regular as clock work on this thread.

I dunno. There's a bit of the devil you know with bangers. Could easily spend 800 on something else and it end up being a crock of ****.

That said if I hated a car I'd want rid.

marko93 wrote: »
    Reliability wise, how are the 1.8s?

If you were to be on the look out for anything when going to see it, anything come to mind?

I got one two years ago and it broke my heart with overheating. Ended up scrapping it.

The clown that had it before me ruined it by putting in rad weld.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

aw wrote: »
    Asking advice...

Any thoughts welcome.

Yeah, I would cut ti loose as well. Based mainly on the fact that you dont like it.

Financially, its 50/50. You need to see how much it will cost to replace it compared to what this will cost to keep going. If it was 200 or 300 euro then i would say chance it. But 700 odd euro on a Tino? Nah. Nobody got time for that. :)

I should be getting rid of my stilo now, but I really like it. It needs only 200 euro for the test, so the the decision is easier.

Only problem for you is what to replace it with, assuming you need Tino-style space. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Jayop wrote: »
    I got one two years ago and it broke my heart with overheating. Ended up scrapping it.

The clown that had it before me ruined it by putting in rad weld.

N42 318ci (03) worst car I ever owned, never again. Overheating, burned more oil than petrol, sensors going left right and centre, never ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nice mileage, clean car, and NCT April. Fair price too.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-one-nct-04-2017-1250/14510631

What are old mini's like to run from a BANGERNOMICs point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

kupus wrote: »
    Scrap it and Save the money you spend on it to get it right and find

How much would you get for scrapping a 10-15 year old car?

(Not trading for new,just getting rid)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

40-50 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've been checking around here in the last week or so. Worst value I got was 30. Best 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

I've been checking around here in the last week or so. Worst value I got was 30. Best 55.

Neighbour of mine was offered 28 quid here in Cork for a banjaxed 2002 Galaxy... but there was a 50 euro collection charge :pac:

• Advertisement

tc20 wrote: »
    I remember seeing that and thinking the same the first time it was up for sale, at what...under €1k iirc?

I think it dropped to a grand. Oddly its the same seller as before who has upped the price :confused:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/low-milage-taxed-and-tested/14544075

MWE4Y2ZlNzBmMWIyOTAxMzdkNDU0NjE1MTQ0YTE2MTckh2p_Ad5qu_QGVubXIhEuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODUwMTczMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Won't set the world alight, but its got NCT to 6/17 and tax to 5/17 for €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I think it dropped to a grand. Oddly its the same seller as before who has upped the price :confused:

Yep, was up for a grand before.

T.

Raiding the piggy bank a little, but this looks to be a goodun

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-toyota-avensis-2-0-d4d-6-speed-quick-sale/14552815

Wouldn't believe the spiel about only selling because got new car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Nice bus .......

MTQyYjM5YzZlNzM5MWVhNDhhYzRhYzEwZjZlNzBmOWYdoe6zAGbqO2Tdj4jDULojaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzYzMTI4M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/jaguar-s-type-3-0-v6/14388229

albeit very short test :rolleyes:

Too dear considering the test. I bought one 5 years ago with a years test for close to that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

Trader too. Probably knows full well the car is not gonna pass. Test due next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Jayop wrote: »
    Got my new bangernomics motor today in the end up. Picked up an '06 petrol 407 from a local dealer for €1400. It's a bit more expensive than what I had seen on Donedeal and the likes, but there was a bit of desperation in the end. The test is up in a few weeks but he booked it in when I picked it up for next week and is going to pay for the test and carry out any work they identify needing done. 3 month engine and gearbox warranty too FWIW.

Here's hoping I can knock a year or two out of it.

Best of luck with her! Glad you finally got sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/low-milage-taxed-and-tested/14544075

MWE4Y2ZlNzBmMWIyOTAxMzdkNDU0NjE1MTQ0YTE2MTckh2p_Ad5qu_QGVubXIhEuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODUwMTczMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Won't set the world alight, but its got NCT to 6/17 and tax to 5/17 for €300.

My mate had one of these, 00 plate, 75k on the clock and owned from new. He replaced it this week with a new Mazda 3. The Mitsu was in good nick but not worth anything as far as the dealer was concerned. His mechanic was going to take it for €50 with the hope of weighing it in for a small profit. Such a shame as it was a good car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement