Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not just Japanese cars. And nothing new here. Remember the GTA spoilers on the Alfa 156. Or a few more decades back the whale (turbo) spoiler on a non turbo Porsche 911?

It's like waving a fake mickey :p

'06 Saab 9-5, short NCT but has BSR tuning kit, so went from 150bhp -> 220bhp. That's quite a bit of poke for your €710 motor tax (and probably still cheap insurance after you notify your insurer of this modification). Asking €2,199 - but the seller would be an eejit to reject a €2k offer. In fact, I'd go in offering something like €1,700 myself...

47142871.jpeg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd so buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

unkel wrote:
    '06 Saab 9-5, short NCT but has BSR tuning kit, so went from 150bhp -> 220bhp. That's quite a bit of poke for your €710 motor tax (and probably still cheap insurance after you notify your insurer of this modification). Asking €2,199 - but the seller would be an eejit to reject a €2k offer. In fact, I'd go in offering something like €1,700 myself...

What kind of mpg could one expect it to return?? Say motorway driving?

How long is a piece of string? Any large heavy petrol car driven around Dublin with plenty of short trips returns about 20-25mpg for me. I owned a 2l petrol turbo Saab 9-5 myself and for the craic I drove it economically on a 3 day trip to Wexford (car fully loaded with 5 people in it) and I averaged 40mpg on that trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

unkel wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string? Any large heavy petrol car driven around Dublin with plenty of short trips returns about 20-25mpg for me. I owned a 2l petrol turbo Saab 9-5 myself and for the craic I drove it economically on a 3 day trip to Wexford (car fully loaded with 5 people in it) and I averaged 40mpg on that trip.
    with a 2l Saab 93, I'd concur with the ~23 mpg around town, but on 100km out of town runs I'm only getting ~35 mpg. Averaging 29mpg over the last 1620 miles (town and motorway mix). It's not so bad, and don't forget:
    http://www.skepticblog.org/2012/05/24/mpg-vs-l100km/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Yup, this one doesn't really jump off the page initially but knock a couple of hundred off, Japanese diesel engine and 50 to the gallon easily and this thing doesn't look so bad. Decent test too. Forget your Opel prejudice. This is a sound car.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10826661

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Yup, this one doesn't really jump off the page initially but knock a couple of hundred off, Japanese diesel engine and 50 to the gallon easily and this thing doesn't look so bad. Decent test too. Forget your Opel prejudice. This is a sound car.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10826661
    Actually does look interesting to me, but the fact it's in Kerry is a bit of a hindrance (from Northside Dublin POV). Folks have much experience of buying cars (at this price) so far away?

Are those Astras generally solid (espec. in diesel form)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Japanese diesel engine

I'm pretty certain they stopped fitting the unbreakable Izusu 'E' engine before that. I had one in my 96 Combo and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

What kind of price range has the Focus st170 (mk1) fallen into? There's only 2 for sale on donedeal at the moment. Not that I'm in a position to buy one yet, but I may be soon.

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain they stopped fitting the unbreakable Izusu 'E' engine before that.

From a quick google, Opel bought the rights to this 4EE1 engine from Isuzu. Then they further developed it. It is now made in Poland and is still fitted to Opel cars. Opel now call it the 4EE2 engine (or the Circle L engine)

Honda buys a version of this engine from Opel for use in their cars too!

Alfa Romeo using Opel engines, Honda using Opel engines, what's next? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

From a quick google, Opel bought the rights to this 4EE1 engine from Isuzu. Then they further developed it. It is now made in Poland and is still fitted to Opel cars. Opel now call it the 4EE2 engine (or the Circle L engine)

Honda buys a version of this engine from Opel for use in their cars too!

Honda don't use Opel or Isuzu engines. They used the 1.7 diesel izusu briefly in the 02-06 hatchback civic. Afterwards they used their own honda developed engine and continue to use honda developed diesels to the present day.

Ah I see what I dug up was a bit outdated. Thanks for the correction!

Interesting all the same that Honda used an Opel engine. I guess that was back when Honda themselves had never made a diesel engine yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Interesting all the same that Honda used an Opel engine. I guess that was back when Honda themselves had never made a diesel engine yet.

Honda used the Rover L series before they used the Opel/Isuzu lump

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Honda used the Rover L series before they used the Opel/Isuzu lump

Afaik they used it only for a brief period before they replaced it with a 1.5 Eco vtec(petrol)

They also used a Peugeot diesel engine in the concerto.

They've used diesels from other manufacturers in some of their cars before they went and developed their own. Most of their cars were petrol in those days though. They didn't really go into diesel in a big way until the mid 00's when they launched their own 2.2 cdti engine and it's dtec successors.

Honda did a badge-engineered Isuzu Trooper (called the Horizon), and a redone Isuzu MU/frontera (called the Passport) so there would have been a link already.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Afaik they used it only for a brief period before they replaced it with a 1.5 Eco vtec(petrol)

They also used a Peugeot diesel engine in the concerto.

Far as I know, the concerto diesels were just rovers with Honda badges. As in they didn't have the usual Honda interiors or lights etc.
    img_3506-640x480.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'm almost sure that opel were using Alfa jtd engines and not the other way round.

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm almost sure that opel were using Alfa jtd engines and not the other way round.

For the diesels indeed. The petrols in the Alfas are Opels though :)

For the diesels indeed. The petrols in the Alfas are Opels though :)

Didn't know that. Even the v6?

• Advertisement

Yup. The last of the legendary Alfa Romeo Busso V6 engines were made about 10 years ago. Busso himself died shortly after.

Yup. The last of the legendary Alfa Romeo Busso V6 engines were made about 10 years ago. Busso himself died shortly after.

No wonder the v6 in the 159/brera was considered a bit meh compared to the legendary v6 of the 156/166/75/164/166

From a quick google, Opel bought the rights to this 4EE1 engine from Isuzu. Then they further developed it.
    By further deveoped it, they also mean made it less reliable.
    Alfa and Opel use Fiat diesel engines, sadly some spaz mated the 1.9 to a GM 6 speed gearbox that likes to self destruct. :p

Opps just spotted someone got there before me. I think Alfa reworked some of the petrol engines and IIRC the 3.2 V6 originated at the Holden factory at Fisherman's Bend Australia before being flown to the US for a strip down and then it was reassembled with some Alfa sparkle in Italy. makes little sense but then what does for Alfa.

By further deveoped it, they also mean made it less reliable.

Hard to avoid that. The engine needed to meet modern emissions standards, so turbo, direct injection, common rail, it also has a lot more power than when Isuzu made it.

We'll never see the like of the Mercedes 2.5l N/A diesel again, an engine that easily does a million km with just oil changes :)
    Alfa and Opel use Fiat diesel engines

That's semantics. The first common rail diesel engine went into the Alfa 156. And yes, Alfa is fully owned by FIAT. In fact FIAT developed common rail initially (in the 60s iirc) but they couldn't get it ready for production cars. They sold their technology to Bosch (who did finish it) and everybody has been paying license money to Bosch ever since :p

First common rail went into fiat marea no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Bangers anyone? ;)

================

2003 avensis verso, slurry powered 7seater, 1999 € asked.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-verso-diesel-7-seater-ne/10847590

Ugly as hell, but made in japan. :D

And seller's not sure what's the real mileage.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    First common rail went into fiat marea no?

Nope the 156 when unveiled in 97 was the first to have the jtd engine which was the simplest form of the now multijet engine. The marea/bravo/brava started to use them in 98. I believe before that they were just td.
    Originally the common rail engine was put into a 2.4 156

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

• Advertisement

Future classic.
    I hope not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement