Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-ses-tax-ampnct-full-service-history/14673941

ZWE4MzM5MWRiOTJhMWU1MTI5YTYwN2JkODk5YWY3MDBSFOGV6UGL8viU7r8_r8MfaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTI0OTcyNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I tend to post bangers for around a grand or less on here, but occasionally stuff like this takes my interest. A find car for the money imo. Modern, safe, reliable etc etc. NCT to the end of 10/17 and tax until end of the month, service history looks good too. €2k.

Nice, whats the catch?
    This is rare!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micro-1-3/14674999

NjY4MGVlZThhNTcwMzdjMjRmOTZlZmQ1MmU2ODZkY2FV1DapTQkxv_CjvYgU95NZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTI1NDUyNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Micra 1.3 with flip paint. NCT site says its tested until 12/17. Low mileage too and reasonable spec for what it is. €800.

Nice
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-new-nct-tax-waranty-service-history/14675322

MDY2YmM0NDI2OTFlNDk3ODBmMzA3NTE3YmU1ZmIxNDGnWS2Cur14M2wtEc45M9TjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTI1NTg3Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This must have sat around for a while! 04 old model Accord with nice looking leather, NCT to 1/18 and even a bit of warranty for €1200. I like this model, I'd take a punt on this for a grand if I was in the market

Looks ok,

If I need to buy a car, do you mind if I call on your services!
    Damn it, I'd consider changing my bangernomics banger for the first or the last of these if it didnt have some inherent driving value left in it, plus I get the use out of an estate.
    Having had a k11 in the family before, highly recommended in my opinion. Hear a lot of warnings about the rust on K11's now, one off a mechanic when I saw one in his place getting some work, it was his main comment (rust), and also a lot of opinions/criticisms of them, but ours was reliable (1.0 litre version) up till when it was sold and was still seen on the road up till last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Red Kev wrote: »
    Nice W124 230E, NCT 05/17 with an Auto box for €1,200. Great, reliable engine and probably the best overall balance in the W124 between economy, performance and smoothness.

It's a 1992, so most of the rust issues have been ironed out, though beware the 5 month NCT and the chrome arches which may hide rust. Still a bargain IMO.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e230/13827119

I hate our poxy insurance companies. Why can't I have this as my daily driver instead of a fecking Panda.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I hate our poxy insurance companies. Why can't I have this as my daily driver instead of a fecking Panda.

Why can't you? Did you try all insurance companies?

You could have that car as your only car with fully comprehensive classic insurance for about €300

Provided that your wife / partner has a car with insurance in her own name. Try First Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

cerastes wrote: »
    Having had a k11 in the family before, highly recommended in my opinion. Hear a lot of warnings about the rust on K11's now, one off a mechanic when I saw one in his place getting some work, it was his main comment (rust), and also a lot of opinions/criticisms of them, but ours was reliable (1.0 litre version) up till when it was sold and was still seen on the road up till last year.

I won't have a bad word said about K11s :P These days every NCT tester is looking for filler and fiberglass on the sills so you can be kinda half sure that one with a new NCT is probably okay. They're much like Mk5 Fiestas in that respect. Easy enough to get either car these days for €50-€100.

I'd say from all the 90s cars still on the road, there are more K11 Micras than any other make / model. That says it all. Most of them were probably poorly maintained for at least the last 10 years too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

unkel wrote: »
    Why can't you? Did you try all insurance companies?

You could have that car as your only car with fully comprehensive classic insurance for about €300

Provided that your wife / partner has a car with insurance in her own name. Try First Ireland.

I think the point he's making Unkel, is that it's almost impossible to have a W124 insured as your only car, as a daily driver. The 15 year rule is nonsense and we all know that. I'd take the W124 as a daily myself, but the fannying about with the insurance as a second car or as the partners car is ridiculous.

We should be allowed to insure something like that as a bog standard daily driver with no other hang ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'd say from all the 90s cars still on the road, there are more K11 Micras than any other make / model. That says it all. Most of them were probably poorly maintained for at least the last 10 years too :D

A lady from a bible study class I take twice weekly was given a brand new Honda Jazz last month from an elderly aunt who has a 97 Micra which she refused to give up. 13k miles on it apparently :D My interest has already been registered..

My favourite though, is still the K11 with 200k miles that I bought for the price of 40 silk cut purple. This was a couple of years ago before the whole insurance mess up. People still wanted them in any condition.

I think the point he's making Unkel, is that it's almost impossible to have a W124 insured as your only car, as a daily driver.

But it isn't! As long as your partner has normal insurance on a normal car and you're a named driver on their insurance, First Ireland let you do exactly that. On a classic policy. They actually suggested this solution to me many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Unless of course your partner does not have a car, or you dont have a partner ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But it isn't! As long as your partner has normal insurance on a normal car and you're a named driver on their insurance, First Ireland let you do exactly that. On a classic policy. They actually suggested this solution to me many years ago.

Unkel, you are still missing it. No second car. Neither you, nor partner to carry you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s320-lwb/14399266

M2VmOTJlYzQ2MTQxYTU2NzZkMDkzYTIxZDUyYjQyNmRsCfVJCmK8hLz5kIEL62EaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182Nzk0MjcwMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

S320 LWB 2003
    Taxed till dec 17
    Nct 6/17
    low mileage

Taxi tax. Still good value!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh god. I love red Saabs.

230TE, Auto, NCT till August. €2,250 so €2K possible. Nice interior, look after it and it'll be almost depreciation free over a couple of years.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-w124/14661313

ZDNiZWYwOWE3YjM2N2I4MjEzODlkMDhkY2JhOGE2M2KMNVe7BJANHZhtfmyQkZYkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTE3MTc5N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

Mmmm! Nice!

My almost as new Red 07 Saab 9-3 has less than 13k miles on it.
    Must be the lowest mileage one on the planet!

Unfortunately i don't think it would qualify for the bangernomics thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s320-lwb/14399266

M2VmOTJlYzQ2MTQxYTU2NzZkMDkzYTIxZDUyYjQyNmRsCfVJCmK8hLz5kIEL62EaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182Nzk0MjcwMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

S320 LWB 2003
    Taxed till dec 17
    Nct 6/17
    low mileage

Suitable for VRT refund? Anyway even if the VrT refund was modest, you could export to Australia, these cars are making $14k all day. You'd need to resident there but might suit someone

look after it and it'll be almost depreciation free over a couple of years.

Keep it for 5 years and it will be worth about a grand more than it is worth now

corglass wrote: »
    Suitable for VRT refund? Anyway even if the VrT refund was modest, you could export to Australia, these cars are making $14k all day. You'd need to resident there but might suit someone

€811 VRT refund. If you say it's a S320 LWB, as the car has an OMSP of €2532

If you say it's a S320 LWB V6 then the VRT refund is €0, as the car has an OMSP of €1958, and there's no VRT refund under a €2000 OMSP.

Still a nice place to sit for a few months if you were prepared to chance the tax. You'll always have the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-peugeot-607-petrol-se/13185032

NWM4_MGE3_MGNm_Yz_Zk_Nz_Zm_ZTA5_ZTZm_Nj_M2_Nzli_NGUy_Nz_Ngqvr_C.jpg

2004 2.0 607
    Test till September 17
    Supposedly low mileage (100k) and an ex demo
    Service history
    2 owners according to cars Ireland
    Looks pretty clean
    Asking €875

• Advertisement

It's €2,500, but it's been in for a few weeks, it's petrol and the NCT date in the ad is at first glance wrong (corrected below). The high mileage will put many off, though it wouldn't other me).

So the seller may be getting browned off looking at it in the driveway, but would he got to €2,000? NCT to 10/08/17.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-executive/14534104

MmU1MmE1OWVmMjIzYzAzZmU1YzE4NWY2ZWFkZDVmOGFdpjCg-gzLPTZPfZOIipHMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODQ0MTk3MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

YjUyNmMxMWNjOWRjZDJiMGI5NTk4ODdiNTJlZmUwMzl383oEwzau6T2xzkXMeQPtaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODU4NjI4Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Tax till end of febuary 2017 Nct 07/17.

€500.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-tax-amp-nct/14532236

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Is there? I only see very late 90's early 00's k11's still on the road and at that not a whole lot. Rust has killed many of them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

colm_mcm wrote: »

Down to €200 ONO.

Also, someone posted this Mini here, but I can't seem to find that poster now. Interesting how I was able to find it on DoneDeal myself, but despite it being sold.

Anyway; anyone ever owned one or driven one? Curious what they are like.

MDk0YmE4Y2ZmMWEwNzY4NjBmOWYxMjJmYWIxMGYyNTlVg3ZNAzVx7W3LP3Spyzm-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODMwNjU2OHx8fHx8fDYwMHg0NTB8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I think the point he's making Unkel, is that it's almost impossible to have a W124 insured as your only car, as a daily driver. The 15 year rule is nonsense and we all know that. I'd take the W124 as a daily myself, but the fannying about with the insurance as a second car or as the partners car is ridiculous.

We should be allowed to insure something like that as a bog standard daily driver with no other hang ups.

It is nonsense to define it at an particular age. But there is a seed of sense in it too...

But the older the car, the less value left in it - and owners are prepared to put less and less into maintenance of those vehicles. We have seen fine examples even in the motors forum here. I know that NCT is supposed keep non-roadworthy cars from the streets - but it cannot catch all.

I'd love to see the stats to back up that thesis, what is the average payout per policy in particular vehicle age brackets...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

grogi wrote: »
    It is nonsense to define it at an particular age. But there is a seed of sense in it too...

But the older the car, the less value left in it - and owners are prepared to put less and less into maintenance of those vehicles. We have seen fine examples even in the motors forum here. I know that NCT is supposed keep non-roadworthy cars from the streets - but it cannot catch all.

I'd love to see the stats to back up that thesis, what is the average payout per policy in particular vehicle age brackets...

And banning anything over 15 years old will?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    And banning anything over 15 years old will?

They just don't want to take that risk. Theoretically the market does not allow vacuum and someone would offer the cover. But unfortunately is not working - the government needs to step in and regulate that whole mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Long time lurking but never posted to this thread. I'm not sure if this could be considered as a good bangernomics but tax and nct till Feb 2018. No mileage mentioned and only two owners claimed.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-1-9-tdi-nct-2-18/14684002

MmZjMjYwZWZkYWMwZjVlMmZhMWE2ZmJjYmNiNDcwYjNeG5DkPozDLndvloc6Q5wdaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTMwMjcxNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Long time lurking but never posted to this thread. I'm not sure if this could be considered as a good bangernomics but tax and nct till Feb 2018. No mileage mentioned and only two owners claimed.

Taxed till the end of this month, NCT for another full year and the car has indeed had only 2 owners from new.

If the work (DMF / clutch / TB / oil service) was indeed carried out and there is proof of this, your first post in here could very well be nominated for the best bangernomics car of 2017. Buy it (hopefully for a sneaky offer well below asking), drive it big miles for a year, renew the NCT, and sell it for near enough the same of what you paid for it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement