Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Guys - What's the difference betwen 93 and 95? is 93 like a A4/3 series/C class and 95 is like A6/5 series/E Class ? Are they considered as reliable cars? How much are they new, the newest I can see on the carzone is 2011/2012 for 17K. Which one is with all the bells and whistles? Aero or Vector ? I have never sat in or driven one but I see couple of posters saying good things about 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bbari wrote: »
    Guys - What's the difference betwen 93 and 95? is 93 like a A4/3 series/C class and 95 is like A6/5 series/E Class ? Are they considered as reliable cars? How much are they new, the newest I can see on the carzone is 2011/2012 for 17K. Which one is with all the bells and whistles? Aero or Vector ? I have never sat in or driven one but I see couple of posters saying good things about 'em.

93 is hatch 95 saloon. Based similar to likes of Mondeo vectra type.

They are cheap and aero would be powerful and usually a nice sleeper if dead badged.

They aren't best car ever but can be fun to drive but not a full on sports car.
    I had a few 93s drove 95s and brakes were a let down I found on earlier ones but now that was driving hard and auto for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

grogi wrote: »
    It is nonsense to define it at an particular age. But there is a seed of sense in it too...

But the older the car, the less value left in it - and owners are prepared to put less and less into maintenance of those vehicles. We have seen fine examples even in the motors forum here. I know that NCT is supposed keep non-roadworthy cars from the streets - but it cannot catch all.

I'd love to see the stats to back up that thesis, what is the average payout per policy in particular vehicle age brackets...

These two cars: one costs €1700, the other costs €1750.

One can still be insured next year, the other can't. It doesn't matter how well they are looked after, so long as they have an NCT. You could get the '03 and have it fully serviced and maintained by Audi with top quality tyres. The other doesn't have to see garage and can have €30 Chinese ditchfinders; it's still insurable whereas the '03 is not.

It makes no sense.

YTA0ZjFlMTZmMzE1ZmViNTdkNjdhMTY4OTFlZjlkM2W8WF60zzjX448isBOFGQFJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODM1OTMyMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    NTk3ZWRhM2MzODU4MTYyMTg5NGIxMmIzOWQzZDFhMTCiUFDxYNksgDe2PATJg768aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTIxNjU4NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Red Kev wrote: »
    These two cars: one costs €1700, the other costs €1750.

One can still be insured next year, the other can't. It doesn't matter how well they are looked after, so long as they have an NCT. You could get the '03 and have it fully serviced and maintained by Audi with top quality tyres. The other doesn't have to see garage and can have €30 Chinese ditchfinders; it's still insurable whereas the '03 is not.

While the current insurance situation is clearly bad, and unfair on older car owners, it's simply not true that an '03 car is uninsurable. My '02 Audi was once again successfully insured (new policy, not a renewal) at the start of the year, just as many other 15-year-or-older cars were. Sure the insurance cost went up, and for the well aired dubious reasons everyone is aware of, but it was far short of 'uninsurable' - a bump of about €150 in my case. A 14 year old A3 is not a Japanese import Integra Type R. Some stuff is effectively uninsurable, some stuff is penal to insure, and some stuff, like the car above, are merely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

93 is hatch 95 saloon. Based similar to likes of Mondeo vectra type.

They are cheap and aero would be powerful and usually a nice sleeper if dead badged.

They aren't best car ever but can be fun to drive but not a full on sports car.
    I had a few 93s drove 95s and brakes were a let down I found on earlier ones but now that was driving hard and auto for that matter.

The very old 9-3 was a hatch, but I'm sure he is asking of the same year 9-3 v the 9-5 .
    I don't know much about them, but is the 9-5 a true saab, while the 9-3 was basically an opel?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The "modern" 9-3 uses a lot of common parts with GM cars but this only serves to make pary replacement quite affordable.
    The actual car underpinnings is GM sourced but much work and refinement by Saab, which was used by GM in their own cars.
    The 9-3 is a 3 series equivalent, the 9-5 the 5 series.
    Depending on the engine size they can be either relatively sedate, like my 1.8i 9-3, or bananas, 2.8 v6.
    The cars are quite affordable, petrol pretty bullet proof and an enjoyable drive.

The 9-5 I've less experience of, but they are equally great value.

The car's interiors are idiosyncratic, unique, though much of this was ironed out in later models. Plenty of switches, complicated looking climate control and so on, but never boring!

I got my 05 9-3 for less than a grand and, in the last 8 months, have spent about 400 in different bits and bobs, but that still leaves me with a cracking bus for less than 1500.

And I found it here, on Bangernomics!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rover-75/14269532

Y2IxMDYyMmE1MDZmOWJiZTYwNjNkOTY0MjNhMjE1NDAt2OjJJXEShPSv47p-I9FxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjY3MzA5M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Love this. The nicest colours inside and out for a 75 imo. And those alloys are great. No clue what the 1.8t is like in these, but NCT to 2018 and its got service history apparently. All for €1250

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

2005 Almera
    I wont win many friends for this suggestion but I think this car represents pretty good value for money.
    Test Jan '18
    Relatively low tax for the old system.
    Young enough to insure.
    Roomy enough for baby seat, kids etc
    Spec OK.
    Bland but respectable looking
    Asking €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-nissan-almera-1-5-sve-new-nct-01-18/14684650

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would you drive it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

W123-80's wrote: »
    2005 Almera
    I wont win many friends for this suggestion but I think this car represents pretty good value for money.
    Test Jan '18
    Relatively low tax for the old system.
    Young enough to insure.
    Roomy enough for baby seat, kids etc
    Spec OK.
    Bland but respectable looking
    Asking €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-nissan-almera-1-5-sve-new-nct-01-18/14684650

When I clicked on the link I expect it to be in that terrible light blue colour. Looks good in maroon red.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rover-75/14269532

Y2IxMDYyMmE1MDZmOWJiZTYwNjNkOTY0MjNhMjE1NDAt2OjJJXEShPSv47p-I9FxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjY3MzA5M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Love this. The nicest colours inside and out for a 75 imo. And those alloys are great. No clue what the 1.8t is like in these, but NCT to 2018 and its got service history apparently. All for €1250

Ad says the leather is in very good condition, but it looks manky, compare with the side of the drivers seat

Dunno about the 1.8t, it's still k series.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

03 Mercedes C180 1.8 petrol

95k miles

Ad says tax and nct to 08-17

€1450

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-mercedes-c180-quotnct-amptax-08-17-quot-low-miles-fsh/14651926

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

handofdog wrote: »
    03 Mercedes C180 1.8 petrol

95k miles

Ad says tax and nct to 08-17

€1450

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-mercedes-c180-quotnct-amptax-08-17-quot-low-miles-fsh/14651926

No mentionnof timing chain being done, so would be 1 of the first things needed on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would you drive it though?

Yes..... maybe.. sort of.. if I had to..
    I'm on the hunt for something cheap for the next 12 months or so. To be honest Im tempted by this, only downside is I need a large boot, estate or hatch would suit me better.
    That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm on the hunt for something cheap for the next 12 months or so. To be honest Im tempted by this, only downside is I need a large boot, estate or hatch would suit me better.

Its gone ages.
    Soul destroying car to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Some cheap and cheerful Corolla's

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1994-toyota-corolla-saloon-new-nct/14682591
    1994 1.3 Saloon;
    156k miles;
    Tested 01/18;
    Towbar - brilliant!!
    Asking €500.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-tax-10-17-nct-07-17/14519819
    1997 1.3 Saloon;
    160k miles;
    Tested 07/17 and circa €180 worth of motor tax on it;
    Towbar - brilliant!!
    Asking €600.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-low-mileage-tax-and-nct/14627179
    2000 1.4 saloon;
    A low 65k miles claimed;
    Tested 05/17 and circa €180 worth of motor tax on it;
    No towbar - not brilliantfrown.png
    Asking €775.

These cars probably aren't for those who are somewhat vain and you'd want to check insurance first before proceeding due to the years. For those on a tight budget that are after a small hassle free family car it'll probably be difficult to do much better.

Would I drive them - in a heartbeat assuming insurance permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You will want to kill soon after buying it.
    They are pig slow, thirsty as **** and the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat on.
    Granted it has semi leather I think and air con but I just hate those cars.
    My mum has one..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Their only luxury is reliability :p

Linky

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1994-toyota-corolla-saloon-new-nct/14682591
    1994 1.3 Saloon;
    156k miles;
    Tested 01/18;
    Towbar - brilliant!!
    Asking €500.

Love it. An original radio is always a good sign on a car, especially one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

unkel wrote: »
    Their only luxury is reliability :p

Linky

Brilliant unkel - just love it!wink.png

• Advertisement

Love it. An original radio is always a good sign on a car, especially one of these.

Points lost for jdm parking light and wheel trims off a Yaris 'blue' special edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Red Saab sold

It was nice. I would have liked it :(

Only 3 months test, but drive it, then weigh it in.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/almera-1-4-sport-tested-cheap/14639070

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Missing all it's volvo badging on the back which could mean that it's been previously damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not so safe, EURO NCAP only 4 stars. Volvo pioneered safety maybe 40 or 50 years ago, but haven't done an awful lot since. But somehow they still have the reputation of being safe...

Still a very nice find. NCT and tax are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-quick-sale/14653468

Basic spec 07 GS300. I'd say he'll take 1500 cash today. Serious car for that money.

• Advertisement

B00056718 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-quick-sale/14653468

Basic spec 07 GS300. I'd say he'll take 1500 cash today. Serious car for that money.

Gearbox issue tho

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement