Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Patww79 wrote: »

I don't know why they would. The black seats are nicer than the cream ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Diesel auto is the way to go.

That's what I thought, until a few people who know more about these cars than I do told me the Jatco autobox is not without problems to put it midly. The diesel engine is a de-tuned BMW engine and very reliable. But it's still a diesel ;)

I'd go for the 2l V6 petrol auto myself. And there's nothing wrong with the 1.8 K-series petrol, as long as you don't let it overheat. Had one myself for 5 years (until it was 10 years old) and it was very reliable and cost me nothing to maintain (apart from a drop of oil and a filter once a year)

Very comfortable car the Rover 75 :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That's what I thought, until a few people who know more about these cars than I do told me the Jatco autobox is not without problems to put it midly. The diesel engine is a de-tuned BMW engine and very reliable. But it's still a diesel ;)

I'd go for the 2l V6 petrol auto myself. And there's nothing wrong with the 1.8 K-series petrol, as long as you don't let it overheat. Had one myself for 5 years (until it was 10 years old) and it was very reliable and cost me nothing to maintain (apart from a drop of oil and a filter once a year)

Very comfortable car the Rover 75 :)
    They are a dreadful engine, horrible unreliable rattley units that overheat and blow headgaskets even with the best of care. You were extremely lucky to get 5 years of trouble free motoring from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The two litre KV6 is the engine to have tbh.

Patww79 wrote: »

Cream leather is nice, cream fabric on the otherhand is not and gets stained easily which makes it look horrible.

Id take the diesel over it tbh. The kv6 isn't all that maintenance friendly so it's not exactly easier to maintain than the diesel + performance isn't great on the kv6 and it will be less economical and more difficult to sell on in the future. Each to there own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Would I be right in saying the timing belt is very dear to do on them?

• Advertisement

Dreadful engine :eek:

It's a lovely engine, freely revving to near 7k rpm and ultralight. And very powerful for the engine size, I believe they had well over 100bhp from a 1.4 16v in the late 80s. It's no surprise these are still used today in light weight racing cars.

Yes if you abuse it, the 1.8 is prone to head gasket failure (until 2004), particularly in the heavier cars like the Rover 75 and more so, the LandRover Freelander. But this was more the case here in Ireland than anywhere else. Why? Poor care, poor maintenance and no mechanical sympathy from the owners is my answer.

Bangernomics cars never need their timing belt changed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Maintenance for the most part is tbh. I had one (briefly; sold quite easily actually) though and it was lovely. Really really nice and smooth. If I was buying a 75 (I won't :p) I'd go for the same again

Dreadful engine :eek:

It's a lovely engine, freely revving to near 7k rpm and ultralight. And very powerful for the engine size, I believe they had well over 100bhp from a 1.4 16v in the late 80s. It's no surprise these are still used today in light weight racing cars.

Yes if you abuse it, the 1.8 is prone to head gasket failure (until 2004), particularly in the heavier cars like the Rover 75 and more so, the LandRover Freelander. But this was more the case here in Ireland than anywhere else. Why? Poor care, poor maintenance and no mechanical sympathy from the owners is my answer.
    You are totally wrong that this was an irish lack of maintenance thing and you are also wrong that it only affected cars up to 2004.

It affected all k series right up to the end and even still to this day. Do you think that there would be companies set up in the uk selling modified head gaskets, bolts, and rails(which had limited success) if this was an Irish lack of maintenance problem?

Plenty of rovers with full service histories have suffered this problem in the uk. It's bad design that is the cause of it rather than a maintenance issue. The hg has very small areas to seal on these engines. this coupled with the long bolt design(which expand and contract) and the poor cooling system is a recipe for disaster.

Sure the 1.4 had 105bhp(afaik) but the likes of the honda d series wasn't that far behind and was also free revving whilst also being near indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They are a dreadful engine, horrible unreliable rattley units that overheat and blow headgaskets even with the best of care. You were extremely lucky to get 5 years of trouble free motoring from it.

Of course you must be speaking from experience are you?

Oh wait not, the usual pub talk..as opposed to Unkel who has actually owned one for 5 years, I think he's a damn sight more qualified than yourself (unless you owned one for a long period of time too?).

Rabble rabble rust protection imo rabble rabble :pac:

I'm not disagreeing with you, as I said the K-series are prone to HGF. These cars have a place though. Bought mine (an '01) in '06 for €6k with very low miles and a full main dealer service history. To put that into perspective, the cheapest '01 petrol Octavia I could find with big miles and no service history was €7k and an '01 Honda Accord / Toyota Avensis were both about €12k. Of course the chances of these last 2 cars being reliable was higher, but they cost twice as much!

Belt was done on my 75 and the HG had failed at low mileage all work done by Rover dealer at the expense of the previous owner. Car cost me nothing to maintain over 5 years, which was helpful as I had zero money for maintenance during the darkest years of the recession :D

For the craic, I just checked donedeal and the cheapest 5 year old Honda Accord is €15k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For the craic, I just checked donedeal and the cheapest 5 year old Honda Accord is €15k :)

Even worse they ain't round no more and still fetching big bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Regarding Rovers and HGF's and K9 series engines:

Here's an 05 Accord 2.0 petrol asking €950 Tax till Oct 17 (worth about €400) short NCT till April 17.

MGU4NmZjMDIwMGVhY2VhMzI1ZTAxZDRiY2NkNTcyMTO1rsI0l6sv7I1uztmatAtWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTMxODQ4Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord/14687191

zapata wrote: »
    Regarding Rovers and HGF's and K9 series engines:

Here's an 05 Accord 2.0 petrol asking €950 Tax till Oct 17 (worth about €400) short NCT till April 17.

MGU4NmZjMDIwMGVhY2VhMzI1ZTAxZDRiY2NkNTcyMTO1rsI0l6sv7I1uztmatAtWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTMxODQ4Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord/14687191

Nct expires on the 7th of march so only 3 weeks left on it. If the seller is so confident it will pass why don't the put it through the test?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Whilst searching for a banger, I have accidentally clicked this ad 40/50 times this evening. Contemplating deleting the app, horrible to use with the forced / accidental clicking of ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Whilst searching for a banger, I have accidentally clicked this ad 40/50 times this evening. Contemplating deleting the app, horrible to use with the forced / accidental clicking of ads!

Root the device and install a adblocker.

Edit: I don't think you have a android. So nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Nct expires on the 7th of march so only 3 weeks left on it. If the seller is so confident it will pass why don't the put it through the test?

Could be a bargaining chip for Hondanomics... Check history and previous certs and a good test drive.

This might suit better - higher miles though.

2005 €995 Petrol 2.0 Tax to June 17 Nct to Jan 18

ZDFkMjc0NWQyYjA4ZTFlMzdkY2IxY2Q1NDI2MGQ2YmYDoq89r0rKkMEuPJL8MpCuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTM4NjE5OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-nct-tax-leather/14700583

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You can fix that on your network for 25 quid. Buy a Raspberry Pi, install Pihole and set it as your DNS server on your router.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/lifehacker.com/create-a-network-wide-ad-blocker-with-a-raspberry-pi-1727295925/amp
    https://pi-hole.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

JohnBoy26 wrote:

Probably blew the head gasket...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-low-mileage-tax-11-17-nctd/14702332

lovely corolla and the most detailed ad i'v seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Y2VkMThmYjFlOWQ3NTgxNDM3YmQ5MDMzOTFjNGEyM2Fr0S62xx_JgsMqti0saJ4eaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODE0ODg3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Well specced 2004 MG ZT-T 2.0l CTDI Tourer.
    NCT to Jan 2018. 134k miles. No mention of tax situation.
    Horrible aftermarket splitter and tints, but replacement bumpers easily sourced.
    If it's not been run into the ground, they're supposed to be a fine car.
    Asking €999.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mg-ztt/14481899

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Ex Taxi nomics

Hyundai Sonata 2007 2.0 Diesel Auto
    NCT April 2017

Cheap Golf

NCT until October 2017

Decent Lancer

Short NCT until next month if I didnt need a car with better MPG I would prob go for it.

Bejaysis that Sonata is cheap. Could be worth a punt. Still on PSV tax & NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

2000 Avensis 1.6 petrol taxed till may and nct till june 399 euro!!!!!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-taxed-and-tested/14703759

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement