Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,412 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That'll be gone within hours :)

I bet his phone hasn't stopped ringing in the 7 minutes since his ad is up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

2003 Hyundai coupe lovey red looks in great condition and service book looks stamped. Taxed tillnApril and Nct till Oct. 1k euros

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-coupe-2003-with-nct-tax-timing-belt-done/14703740

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

unkel wrote: »
    Bejaysis that Sonata is cheap. Could be worth a punt. Still on PSV tax & NCT.

Seller has a good few ads so must be a dealer selling cheaper cars on DD, any issues with them? not the worst mileage either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

racso1975 wrote: »
    2003 Hyundai coupe lovey red looks in great condition and service book looks stamped. Taxed tillnApril and Nct till Oct. 1k euros

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-coupe-2003-with-nct-tax-timing-belt-done/14703740

That's some serious panel paint mismatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

alastair wrote: »

Just noticed that now nice spot!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Actually hard to believe how bad it is! How could it be so wrong? Lovely looking car otherwise.
    Just noticed that now nice spot!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

percy212 wrote: »
    Actually hard to believe how bad it is! How could it be so wrong? Lovely looking car otherwise.

Probably the fenders weren't painted at all, they got replaced with ones from scrap in similar colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

alastair wrote: »

A badly painted complete front end. Some extra digging needed on that one,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

emeldc wrote: »
    A badly painted complete front end. Some extra digging needed on that one,
    nailed it. Easily spotted on both sides. A bitch of a colour to match but that's a seriously awful job. Don't even need it under a streetlight to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I'm not disagreeing with you, as I said the K-series are prone to HGF. These cars have a place though. Bought mine (an '01) in '06 for €6k with very low miles and a full main dealer service history. To put that into perspective, the cheapest '01 petrol Octavia I could find with big miles and no service history was €7k and an '01 Honda Accord / Toyota Avensis were both about €12k. Of course the chances of these last 2 cars being reliable was higher, but they cost twice as much!

Unkel you raise a great point here that I am always intrigued by. It's outside of the bangernomic remit but I'll mention it anyway.

I am referring to the best possible bang for buck when purchasing a relatively new car (max 5/6 years old) at a specific moment in time.
    Obviously there are differing needs and wants from different motorists, but in general across the board there are specific cars that seem to run under the radar in terms of popularity and offer great value for money.

Your post is a super example of this.

My own example is similar to yours, only the car I purchased was very boring.
    In mid 2011 I picked up a 2005 Lancer 1.6 for 3,900. It had 82,000 miles, 1 owner and was totally immaculate. At the time corolla, golf etc were almost twice that. The car never missed a beat for 2 years until I sold it and got the Lagacy.
    I still consider that car to be great bang for buck.
    The cheapest 6 year old lancer on done deal tonight is 7,900.
    I think changing trends, new models, etc effect this. i.e my lancer was far uglier than the new model in 2008!
    I am specifically referring to relatively new cars. No older than 5/6 years.
    What relatively new car at the moment is offering great value compared to competitors?

• Advertisement

W123-80's wrote: »
    Unkel you raise a great point here that I am always intrigued by. It's outside of the bangernomic remit but I'll mention it anyway.

I am referring to the best possible bang for buck when purchasing a relatively new car (max 5/6 years old) at a specific moment in time.
    Obviously there are differing needs and wants from different motorists, but in general across the board there are specific cars that seem to run under the radar in terms of popularity and offer great value for money.

Your post is a super example of this.

My own example is similar to yours, only the car I purchased was very boring.
    In mid 2011 I picked up a 2005 Lancer 1.6 for 3,900. It had 82,000 miles, 1 owner and was totally immaculate. At the time corolla, golf etc were almost twice that. The car never missed a beat for 2 years until I sold it and got the Lagacy.
    I still consider that car to be great bang for buck.
    The cheapest 6 year old lancer on done deal tonight is 7,900.
    I think changing trends, new models, etc effect this. i.e my lancer was far uglier than the new model in 2008!
    I am specifically referring to relatively new cars. No older than 5/6 years.
    What relatively new car at the moment is offering great value compared to competitors?

Dacia?

2001 Mazda 323f 1.5 auto NCT until May 850 euro

You may have noticed I am the king of Automatics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

You may have noticed I am the king of Automatics :D

and I for one am glad that you are :)
    (Mrs tc20 has an auto only licence, so I'm always on the look out)

tc20 wrote: »
    and I for one am glad that you are :)
    (Mrs tc20 has an auto only licence, so I'm always on the look out)

First car was a manual micra, 2nd was a tiptronic Mitsubishi Mirage.....never looked back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

These two caught my eye today. Fighting the urge to take a look at the Volvo.

YTczYmE2MGYzODc5NTBkODFhOWNjNGE5YjM0MzdiMjPm8ozQlzPC8k1oJIQxJECWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTM4NTM2Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-d5-se/14700447

Full service history from new. NCT 9/17 €1800, looks very well I must say !

ZmUxZmRmMzg5YWQyNjY0N2I3NzE0ZmQ3YTYzMDg1ZTd5pc41LLtrtRJx0WnQYH77aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTQ2Nzc0Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-forester-auto-taxed-09-17/14714520

Tax 9/17 NCT 8/17 should be plenty of life left in this. Bonus if it had some history of belt changes etc.

€1450

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

homer90 wrote: »
    These two caught my eye today. Fighting the urge to take a look at the Volvo.

YTczYmE2MGYzODc5NTBkODFhOWNjNGE5YjM0MzdiMjPm8ozQlzPC8k1oJIQxJECWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTM4NTM2Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-d5-se/14700447

Full service history from new. NCT 9/17 €1800, looks very well I must say !

NWY3N2M5NTc4NGJhY2U0NTA4Y2E4MjRkNDI5NjIxNGIB7cDXzzDqPjHzKI_YIWhSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTM4NzAzOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Why didn't they put the "Miles to Empty" display under the fuel gauge?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,412 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Soarer wrote: »
    Why didn't they put the "Miles to Empty" display under the fuel gauge?

Haha well spotted. It's just one of a number of different messages from the OBC you can display there I presume, like avg consumption, current consumption, avg speed, current speed, outside temp, and what not :)

Wonder what you can have on the bottom right display?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Haha well spotted. It's just one of a number of different messages from the OBC you can display there I presume, like avg consumption, current consumption, avg speed, current speed, outside temp, and what not :)

Wonder what you can have on the bottom right display?

It's the panel for the warning lights.

DSC09178.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I called it the TMI panel :) they're on saabs too.

Yeah I know the boot door is open. It's not really open, the sensors broken. You don't have to keep telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

2000 Avensis 1.6 petrol taxed till may and nct till june 399 euro!!!!!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-taxed-and-tested/14703759

Don't get me wrong, the car is a steal for the asking price but how come so many people cannot do basic maths... taxed until 05/17 is simply not 6 months tax.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, the car is a steal for the asking price but how come so many people cannot do basic maths... taxed until 05/17 is simply not 6 months tax.

Probably copying his ad over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

zerks wrote: »

Nice but only issue colour matching wasn't a strong point on respray job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Nice but only issue colour matching wasn't a strong point on respray job.

just about to post same, both rear doors (at least) are different shade to the rest of the car..or maybe its the front doors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

tc20 wrote: »
    just about to post same, both rear doors (at least) are different shade to the rest of the car..or maybe its the front doors :)

Make us wonder if 'cut and shut' is still a thing?
    For the whippersnappers:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/58839/spot-a-cut-and-shut
    How to spot a 'cut and shut'

Official estimates say there could be 30,000 cut and shuts on UK roads (year 2006). The problem is a vehicle history check would only pick up on outstanding finance or if a car had been a write-off. However, background investigation firm HPI had this advice:
    1. Cut and shuts are usually joined at the top of the rear windscreen and through the C-pillars. Pay close attention to these areas, and check the upholstery, too.
    2. Keep an eye out for any uneven panel gaps and mismatched or varying paint shades.
    3. Check for faint traces of paint spray on door handles and any spillage on the window seals.
    4. Never view a car in the rain or poor light. It’s harder to spot those important obvious flaws.
    5. Find the car’s VIN number – does it correspond with what appears on the paperwork?
    6. Look at the service history and past MoT certificates if available, and question any unexplained gaps.
    7. Be wary of extremely cheap cars – if a deal sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

zerks wrote: »

Seems decent in fairness but to mention I have heard from a few different people that they are a bit of a pig on juice in that 1.5 litre guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Seems decent in fairness but to mention I have heard from a few different people that they are a bit of a pig on juice in that 1.5 litre guise.

Yes notorious for being thirsty :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes notorious for being thirsty :p

Also gearbox made of chocolate.

Suspension horrible in them also.

By god are they thirsty alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement