Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lads is replacing the relay for the hazard lights switch on a 99 passat a cheap job?

This?! Doesn't look like million dollar job TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Switch house relay as far I can remember.

Not expensive.

Cheers didnt think so, car is great for a 99....Ill try use it to bargain it down more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

aw wrote: »
    Asking advice...

I bought a banger last year - 2005 Nissan Tino - ugly as hell but only €325.
    Has failed the NCT on a few things. Nothing too major, but several things together this year add up. Ball joints, tyres, track rods, brake pipes and the big one is a front shock - for some reason these are astronomically expensive in a Tino.

Will cost €450 to fix using a second hand shock (risk of failure again with this).

I'm on the fence about fixing it up for another year or ditching and buying another cheap car.
    Reasons for keeping - I've owned it for a year & know it's solid, serviced it during the summer w/2 new tyres. All these bits now would last a couple of years, if done. It's only a 2005 car - relatively young.
    Reasons for ditching - Don't particularly like the car. Would struggle to recoup the investment if I sold it. Took a full 5 mins for it to pass the emmissions test - might be minor but could be a symptom of something.

Any thoughts welcome.

Brakes needed doing on this too when I had another look.
    Couldn't go spending money on a car I don't like.

Picked up a very clean 2004 Honda CRV 2.0 petrol instead for €900.
    NCT til year end. Low miles.

Lovely car. Much preferable!

Thanks for the opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Volvo-nomics - €1,800

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-d5-se/14700447

MTFkMWQ1Y2RmZjY1ZTIwY2JiOGI4OWNkMDBlY2FlNGTjxYszCnzvfS-zrdkH28_-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTM4NzA0MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

test til September, Auto, plenty of extras and a claimed FSH

I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

12 months of test on this X-Type with only 60k miles! €1,999

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-jaguar-x-type59-983-miles-new-nct-02-18/14603206

NzgwOTg5MWM0YTk1OGM0ZDE0MzdmNmEwMzA1YTNmYWaobcAWyy8mY0UcofeqW0YSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTM3NTYwN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

bear1 wrote: »
    159 jtd 150bhp.
    Needs a serious valet inside and a Polish up outside.
    300 over budget but I wonder if you turned up with 2k would the seller refuse?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romero/14637733

Jesus, description on the add states "very clean car".....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-avantgarde-automatic-saloon/14607963

2005 Mercedes E200 Avantgarde
    NCT til August
    €1999

Looks pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

W211 is very nice! Beware of timing chain problems on these though.

unkel wrote: »
    W211 is very nice! Beware of timing chain problems on these though.

The quinn disc holder would have to go ..

• Advertisement

jharr100 wrote: »

"trad sale" (sic)

What's that warning light in the form of a spanner? :p

Eyes very wide open here...

Ex Taxi nomics

Hyundai Sonata 2007 2.0 Diesel Auto
    NCT April 2017

This lad upped his price and got a bit more aggressive in his ad.....must be sick of the "whats your last price boss" calls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

bear1 wrote: »
    Time to add some flair to proceedings.

Alfa gt diesel with a years nct and tax until the end of March.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-gt-1-9-diesel-new-nct-03-18-tax-03-17/14677952?campaign=3

This one's been on donedeal a while now, wonder would a cheeky bid take it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

"trad sale" (sic)

I've the same on my Renault. Means car is due a service and only Renault can switch it off. Engine Management light is on as well, lambda sensor is supposedly gone, but it's been through 3 NCT's with both lights on no bother.

Could be something else on that Megane of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

That service book for the gt looks very 'fresh', same colour ink every time, looks like same handwriting each time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Red Kev wrote: »
    I've the same on my Renault. Means car is due a service and only Renault can switch it off. Engine Management light is on as well, lambda sensor is supposedly gone, but it's been through 3 NCT's with both lights on no bother.

Could be something else on that Megane of course.

This works for service spanner

http://www.reset-service.com/oil-reset-light/reset-service-light-indicator-renault-megane-2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That service book for the gt looks very 'fresh', same colour ink every time, looks like same handwriting each time too.

Quick phone call to garage would solve any worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Mini850 wrote: »
    This one's been on donedeal a while now, wonder would a cheeky bid take it??

Depends what you mean by cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Could simply be that he lost the book, ordered a new one and asked the garage to fill it out again.
    Not unheard of.

The last service stamp is from 5 years and 50k miles ago. That's almost no better than not having any service history at all. I'd ring the seller and I'd ring Alasta and see what they have to say (most pertinent question obviously about the belt) before I'd go see the car. Petty it's a diesel though, ridiculous choice of engine in an Italian sports coupe imho :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

"trad sale" (sic)

It's a bargine too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Hi people! My young fella passed his driving test today. He's 18. Given the insurance situation as commented so often on here, is there any point in me even looking for a cheap good value motor for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Hi people! My young fella passed his driving test today. He's 18. Given the insurance situation as commented so often on here, is there any point in me even looking for a cheap good value motor for him?

I think i would phone insurance company's first and ask what car do i get my son for cheapest insurance rather then the other way round get the car then insurance

Bahanaman wrote: »

Nice one, fair play to him! Ring your insurance company and ask them what your options are. Does he really need a car straight away (for work)? If so, ring all insurance companies and brokers and good luck!

If not it might save money to add him as a named driver on (one of) the family car(s) for a year, so he will be a year older, have a years named driver experience and his license a year. Could take a large chunk off the cost of his own insurance. Again, ask your insurance company.

GvidoR wrote: »
    2002 Škoda Octavia
    1.9 TDI
    Brown leather
    Armrest
    Sunroof
    Air con
    Cruise control
    NCT'd until July 2017
    Taxed until April 2017

€1300

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-l-k-1-9-tdi/14717905

YmI4NGU0ZjJmZmM1YzdjYWU3OGI0NjQwOTljZWFjMzE8lYojYpctf3bk3LK5v1gAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTQ4Njk3Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Price drop 990

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I know I posted this here a few days ago and seems all in agreement its a good ad with resonable asking price. Any advice to get this motor moving for close to asking? 

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/civic/2004-honda-civic-1-4s-nct-01-18/12337189

400 euro got me a TDI Passat with NCT until October, timing belt, turbo, and tyres all done last year :) I'll get pics tomorrow.

Price drop 990

It must have given birth to a few foals along the way too.... Gone from 110 to 140 bhp.

jca wrote: »
    It must have given birth to a few foals along the way too.... Gone from 110 to 140 bhp.

I messaged him ...
    Rear wiper broken the last 5 years .. plus glove box lock is broken..

• Advertisement

I messaged him ...
    Rear wiper broken the last 5 years .. plus glove box lock is broken..

Standard Octavia problems, easily solved if there's a suitable donor in the breakers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement