Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

chris85 wrote: »
    I know I posted this here a few days ago and seems all in agreement its a good ad with resonable asking price. Any advice to get this motor moving for close to asking? 

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/civic/2004-honda-civic-1-4s-nct-01-18/12337189

Try donedeal? I'd wager most people car hunting will start with donedeal, not adverts..

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Dulpit is right. Also, anything I have sold on Donedeal sells at the weekend. Relist it on a Friday to get it to the top of the list.
    The headless photo as your main pic' is a bit grim. Take photos on a bright day with a good camera. All your photos are grey. Park next to a big bed of daffodils today. Take another photo. People really are that fickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

donalh087 wrote: »
    Dulpit is right.  Also, anything I have sold on Donedeal sells at the weekend. Relist it on a Friday to get it to the top of the list.
    The headless photo as your main pic' is a bit grim.  Take photos on a bright day with a good camera.  All your photos are grey.  Park next to a big bed of daffodils today.  Take another photo.  People really are that fickle.
    This is up on done deal also. 

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-honda-civic-1-4s-nct-01-18/14747048

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

chris85 wrote: »

When I'm looking at cars I prefer sellers with photos taken at their own home, gives the impression they are not hiding anything. Also I would avoid night time photos - paints a picture of a young lad who rallies around at night with the lads!

May or may not be helpful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

donalh087 wrote: »
    Dulpit is right. Also, anything I have sold on Donedeal sells at the weekend. Relist it on a Friday to get it to the top of the list.
    The headless photo as your main pic' is a bit grim. Take photos on a bright day with a good camera. All your photos are grey. Park next to a big bed of daffodils today. Take another photo. People really are that fickle.

+1, all the photos in car-park and garage forecourt are bad too. The advice is always not to buy a car after a petrol station rendezvous. I know the ad doesn't mean that that's what you're proposing to do when selling, but it sort of evokes that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

sold a 2004 civic for just over 1k ,1.4 new nct,not a import, insurance is killing them, my advice if you want it gone is knock 300 off your asking,and a further 100 at point of sale,coz lets face it,people expect cash off in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

^^^

1,500 for the Civic is pushing it. A lot. I don't think you can realistically expect to get anywhere near that asking price, so if you don't want to wait, you'd have to drop the price. Look at what you can get on donedeal for €1,500! Something newer with a lot less miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/chevrolet-epica-tax-11-17-nct-01-18/14782353

MzNmMzM3ZDVmMTA0NzU2YWFmZDM0MWNiMThjNTc4NWJ7j4iimKMsnkv-2M8iyC21aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTg1MTQyNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

We haven't had one of these in a while! NCT to 1/18 and tax to 11/17, automatic and much else to redeeming. €1995

Well over €500 tax and when it runs out it's only €710 for the year which isn't bad at all for a straight 6 petrol engine. Small time trader though, so very limited scope for getting money off the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Seller is a good guy to deal with but the very essence of "no nonsense" in every aspect of a deal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

"The Best Swift on Donedeal"* for 450 euro with NCT until Dec 17

*allegedly

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/best-94-suzuki-swift-on-donedill/14631692

MGQ2YTVmZjBiMGQyZWI2YjkwYjgyNTk5OWU3ZGI2N2YSX_n0pDUCIS32BRK_C6pkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTYxNjgxOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-avantgarde-automatic-saloon/14607963

2005 Mercedes E200 Avantgarde
    NCT til August
    €1999

Looks pretty decent.

Want..... WANT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-avantgarde-automatic-saloon/14607963

2005 Mercedes E200 Avantgarde
    NCT til August
    €1999

Looks pretty decent.

How is this not sold?
    If I wasn't stuck in Cork I'd have bought it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

jharr100 wrote: »
    How is this not sold?

Same. People will assume it cost 5 times the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Same. People will assume it cost 5 times the price.

The xenons alone would probably have cost have the price of that car when it was being specd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd say that's the first second gen C5 in here alright. Why not before? Because it was too new and kept its value better than the first gen :)

Pity it's a diesel otherwise it would have been a lovely find. Most of these unfortunately do not have the traditional Citroen hydropneumatic suspension. I will own a car one day with the green spheres!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

unkel wrote: »
    ^^^

1,500 for the Civic is pushing it. A lot. I don't think you can realistically expect to get anywhere near that asking price, so if you don't want to wait, you'd have to drop the price. Look at what you can get on donedeal for €1,500! Something newer with a lot less miles on it.
    Yeah have dropped it to €1300 so will see if it peak some more interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd say that's the first second gen C5 in here alright. Why not before? Because it was too new and kept its value better than the first gen :)

Pity it's a diesel otherwise it would have been a lovely find. Most of these unfortunately do not have the traditional Citroen hydropneumatic suspension. I will own a car one day with the green spheres!

It's only a 1st gen facelift model.

• Advertisement

Oh Christ yeah, got completely fooled by the prominent chevrons and didn't look beyond first pic. Should have paid a little bit more attention or should have gone to specsavers :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

jharr100 wrote: »
    How is this not sold?

Because sensible money knows these cannot be run on a shoestring. Lots of very expensive things go wrong with them with uncomfortable regularity.

I'm speaking from experience. Great value car, no argument. If you have the cash flow to run it.

But great bangernomics? No way.

Because sensible money knows these cannot be run on a shoestring. Lots of very expensive things go wrong with them with uncomfortable regularity.

I'm speaking from experience. Great value car, no argument. If you have the cash flow to run it.

But great bangernomics? No way.

Point of bangernomics though is run it for a year, if it goes terminally wrong, so be it. Sell for €500 and its still cheaper then the yearly repayments on a new car

Point of bangernomics though is run it for a year, if it goes terminally wrong, so be it. Sell for €500 and its still cheaper then the yearly repayments on a new car

There are better bangernomics than that.

2002 with claimed 108k miles auto, claimed 2.0 which is more reliable engine. €550 NCT till May though.

MWViZDljNTYwZGFjMDgxYWJlNTAzNjVjYWJiY2M3NzSa_WNGuD5LIZx2_FN5GfTyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTU0NDEyMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

There are better bangernomics than that.

I agree but it depends on what you want. Some people want a €500 supermini that'll last as long as they do.

Personally I'd sway towards the cheap merc, BMW or jag but everyone has different priorities

Different bangernomics for different folks and all that!

I'd rather a large relatively new luxury Mercedes for a total cost of ownership of €300 per month than a battered old spartan Corolla for €200 per month.

I wouldn't mind that the risk of the Mercedes developing an economically fatal problem is about 10 times higher than the Corolla...

I agree but it depends on what you want. Some people want a €500 supermini that'll last as long as they do.

Personally I'd sway towards the cheap merc, BMW or jag but everyone has different priorities

Exactly. I think bangenomics is about minimizing the expenditure on all aspects of running a car, not just purchase price. Getting most "bang for buck" is a different strategy, typified by the 'luxobarge' types of car.

Its very easy for someone who is on a limited budget to see that e class and say, thats a bargain. But by the time they tax it and insure it and put petrol in it, a limited budget could be stretched. If anything goes wrong, then they are in real trouble. Walking away from a 2 grand car is tough, even if you recoup 500.

However, as I said, if they have the cash flow to handle it, then its a cracking car for the money.

To each his own and all that.

I wouldn't mind that the risk of the Mercedes developing an economically fatal problem is about 10 times higher than the Corolla...

Thats because you can afford to. A lot of people in the bangernomics category may not be here by choice!

• Advertisement

There's always choice. Some people can afford the €200 per month Corolla. Others can only afford a €150 per month Seicento. Some people manage on less than that. Some people spend more. The rule of this thread is that the car is legal and costs €2k or less. That's it.

Like I said, and you said, different bangernomics for different people...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement