Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Was gonna say that. Who in their right mind would change a TB on a bangernomics work horse? And the Ford has probably the longest possible interval out there. It's no Alfa. Belt roulette FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A Linear claiming to be Aero :) Could knock even more off the 950 price tag
    NCT up soon and no tax, even more bargain room

Cork

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-2-0t-aero/14140158
    ZDY5NjE4MjZiZmY5ZWVjZWYwOTMwZmJlMzBhZWE0MWbPG5_rWwgFIR00sDGb1EqeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTk2NzQ5MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

BHPnomics

250bhp of sleeper for €1750

Volvo S60 T5
    NCT Expiry Aug 2017
    No mention of tax but you could squeeze in 3 months and keep within €2000. Nearly :pac:

OGIzOWJhZDMzZjQzNmNiNTQ2YTc0OThlNjAxNWU4MDODgbkbhevsIvYWVu8fMYIuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTI3MTIzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I've often wanted one of these but very hard to come by in manual and facelifted..

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I've often wanted one of these but very hard to come by in manual and facelifted..

That one is an auto not manual

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

d31b0y wrote: »
    Aren't the timing belts on these rated for 200000 km / 10 years?

If it has a wet belt it won't do near 200,000km or ten years(I actually think fords interval is 8 years) it's expensive to replace too due to the labour involved.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    A Linear claiming to be Aero :) Could knock even more off the 950 price tag
    NCT up soon and no tax, even more bargain room

NCT only until the end of the month. I wouldn't even bother to go see it, just too risky. If it fails on something you can't check like emissions, the car is scrap. Plenty of them out there for similar money with an '18 NCT.

unkel wrote: »
    Was gonna say that. Who in their right mind would change a TB on a bangernomics work horse? And the Ford has probably the longest possible interval out there. It's no Alfa. Belt roulette FTW :D

There are reports out there that some of these don't get near their rated interval. Ford revised it down to 8 years in the mid 00's and I think the revised the mileage down as well (afaik) but some owners have had belts failing even before this.

Point taken, but I wouldn't spend €400 to fix a bangernomics car, let alone on preventative maintenance.

'05 Saab Convertible

Irish car, 1 owner from new, NCT 07/17, low miles, full Saab service history, unfortunately an undesirable manual gearbox, but asking just €1,750

MTE4OGZlMWI4MGFmN2UyNWVhNTNlNTgxM2U1MWE1NDCsUDTkIGoQnD3pUMLgyATXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDUxMDc2MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice! I love those cabrios, a few cheap ones have cropped up in ehre too

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-diesel-2-2-tid-arc-top-spec-tax10-17-nct2/14866150

YjRjNDVlYmRiNDZiMGJmNDc1YzQ0YTA5YzllMjcxZDd8GvIadHiEqdeaYuptyvRzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDMxNDU3NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

If you need something a bit more sensible, a nice looking diesel 9-3 ARC with a very low mileage claim and tax to 9/17 (& NCT to 2/18) for €1950

'06 Lexus IS250 - surely this isn't an SEL? :eek:

NCT 07/17, taxed until the end of the month, looks clean. Unfortunately also a manual. Asking €2,300 but surely the owner would be mad to refuse €2k cash

MzAzYmE2NDI3YjExYzBmM2U2NWIzODcxODlmY2MzMjmsDQHunF2yvLpdEUPm1PTxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDE5MjAxOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

Point taken, but I wouldn't spend €400 to fix a bangernomics car, let alone on preventative maintenance.

It depends on how long the car would be intended to be kept and where it's being used.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It depends on how long the car would be intended to be kept and where it's being used.

With respect, it doesn't. I'd either buy one that had the maintenance done, or I just drive it on and hope for the best (wouldn't do belt roulette on an Alfa though :D)

At this level there are no real discounts to be negotiated for cars that haven't had their belt done

Tbf that 07 Mondeo @ €1500 + €400 maintenance is still fairly decent going imo. You'd get a long time out of it with new belts and clutch and FW.

In any case theres probably a good bit of life in it still

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

'06 Lexus IS250 - surely this isn't an SEL? :eek:

NCT 07/17, taxed until the end of the month, looks clean. Unfortunately also a manual. Asking €2,300 but surely the owner would be mad to refuse €2k cash

Linky

It's only a poverty spec Sport.

No Mark Levinson even.

A wise man once said of the IS250
    To the layperson the is250 and is220d are identical, I guess people drive a bit closer when they see 250. Wow, its not a daysul, christ almighty let me see...

With respect, it doesn't. I'd either buy one that had the maintenance done, or I just drive it on and hope for the best (wouldn't do belt roulette on an Alfa though :D)

At this level there are no real discounts to be negotiated for cars that haven't had their belt done

Well I wouldn't like to be stranded on a busy motorway with a pile of scrap metal that has to be towed away. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

That one is an auto not manual

I know it's auto, it's also pre face-lift.
    But a lot of car for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's only a poverty spec Sport.

No Mark Levinson even.

A wise man once said of the IS250

Best thread ever that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-diesel-2-2-tid-arc-top-spec-tax10-17-nct2/14866150

If you need something a bit more sensible, a nice looking diesel 9-3 ARC with a very low mileage claim and tax to 9/17 (& NCT to 2/18) for €1950

What are they like? I thought I heard it mentioned here once the 2.2 diesel is a bit, well...agricultural....
    Seller is out a month on the tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I don't follow that logic. Bangernomics or not, I still like to maintain my car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-carens-seven-seater/14742724

Wouldn't drive it, but still it's a 7 seater 08 for small money (or are they 6 seat?)

I don't follow that logic. Bangernomics or not, I still like to maintain my car.

Fair enough PurvesGrundy. Maybe I come across all wrong, but I have mechanical sympathy for any car I buy, no matter how cheap, and I would change oil + filter every 10k km or every year, whichever comes first. And I'm a sucker for putting cars through the NCT early. That said, on a near zero budget, I can afford to change oil and filter myself (€30-€50) but there just isn't any budget for changing a TB when it is due. If I could do it myself, maybe. But I can't.

I've a lot of respect for people buying lovely €3k Alfa Romeos and who then end up spending €3k per year, every year, maintaining it. My best mate is (or was) like that. But I couldn't do that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

colm_mcm wrote: »

My vision isnt what it once was... What crazy miles are up on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

jharr100 wrote: »
    My vision isnt what it once was... What crazy miles are up on this ?

Mental according to the seller :)

500+ is my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Your ad leaves a lot to be desired. You need more and better pictures up. And you put up a lot of info (incl. waffle, but you leave out the most important stuff like what's the mileage, what's the registration and until when the NCT is valid?

Please see this as constructive criticism :D

GLWS!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Pretty sure I know the car, did you buy that from a Lithuanian fella from Arklow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

no I have it 11 years, I know the one your talking about though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement