Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

As far as I know they needed to get a serious reddening to crack the head. It was an issue that was much more prevalent in the 2.2td previas as their cooling systems were inadequate for their midship style engine layout

My neighbour had one from new in 00 that cracked the head in 05 and I know it wasn't reddend. At the time apparently it was a common enough problem with these avensis but strangely enough it didn't seem to affect the similar carina e as much.

Don't get me wrong though the mk1 avensis was still a great car which was comfortable and nimble and one of the best cars in this class at the time despite the reviews from the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There just has to be something wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Only tested for 6 weeks and €1000 tax. I'd say the price is right.

If it stood any chance of passing another test it's a really nice car for that money but possibly more of a fixer upper right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

NCT is real but it looks rough out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

04 polo tax and nct to june for 450, body not great but these are fairly pleasant inside compared to similar cars.

MzAwMDgzMzU3OWE1MjE0MGY5YjAzMjUyZTJmMDA3NDmlZEW6XGVxwTj3DzE3LdjSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTYzMzk1MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-2-polo-tax-test-price-reduced/14742523#xtor=EPR-4-[searchAlert]-20170312-[viewMatchingAd]-809878@1

They arent the worst small car to be in but those 3 cylinders are made from chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Only tested for 6 weeks and €1000 tax. I'd say the price is right.

If it stood any chance of passing another test it's a really nice car for that money but possibly more of a fixer upper right now.

I don't agree with your last comment Toyotafanboi. In so far as you'd have to go in eyes wide open if viewing the car (as with any used car your buying really) I think its just wrong to suggest it should be expelled to the fixer upper thread on the basis of the asking price alone. If that's the case a lot of cars posted here should be expelled to the fixer up thread.... I agree there are a lot with noted problem that should be anyway. Its sort of akin to guilty until proven innocent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bear1 wrote: »
    There just has to be something wrong with that?

Thirsty, slow and expensive to tax...

Subaru isn't the best insurance friend either...

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with.

This is the Bangernomics thread though and 6 weeks test isn't enough for a bangernomic, it's really a fixer upper until it has a new test imo.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with.

This is the Bangernomics thread though and 6 weeks test isn't enough for a bangernomic, it's really a fixer upper until it has a new test imo.

Okay fair enough Toyotafanboi, but at that rate I personally feel that you should be at least suggesting that many other cars posted should be moved over to the fixer upper thread, certainly as moderator. A considerable number of cars posted are even lighter on test than that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

04 S40 for €495. Scrape on drivers side but 2 months tax & 6 months NCT
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-volvo-s40-taxed-and-nct-bargain-buy/14943213

Okay fair enough Toyotafanboi, but at that rate I personally feel that you should be at least suggesting that many other cars posted should be moved over to the fixer upper thread, certainly as moderator. A considerable number of cars posted are even lighter on test than that one.

Bangernomics rules on suggest that a car must have a valid NCT, maybe this needs clarification but at present if it has a test it can be posted.

As you suggested earlier though, applying common sense, if someone is selling a car which has an NCT date looming in the coming weeks you must ask yourself why. Has it been through already and failed? Surely if the owner thought it stood a good chance of passing then they would do so and pass it and increase the asking price by 50%.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are genuine, short test cars out there for sale that will honestly "sail through the test" but again, purely imo they are the exception, not the rule.

Less than 3 months test is where I'd draw the line, anything less than 3 months on a Bangernomics price range yoke means the owner is jumping ship in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Less than 3 months test is where I'd draw the line, anything less than 3 months on a Bangernomics price range yoke means the owner is jumping ship in my eyes.

The rules are simple. And the one for NCT is even simpler - valid NCT. Now. Not tomorrow. Not four weeks from now. Not three months from now. NOW.

Applying common sense to bangernomics cars is not relevant. If only common sense was used, nobody would be selling good bangers.

Bangernomics rules on suggest that a car must have a valid NCT, maybe this needs clarification but at present if it has a test it can be posted.

True true, but I am wondering why you seem to be singling this one in particular out and suggesting it is more of a fixer upper right now. Should that blanket comment go for a high proportion of the cars posted here? Is it on the basis of the asking price alone? Maybe if it was asking €1,500 with the same credentials it might be a more attractive proposition that didn't warrant comment?....I don't know. But that would beg the question are all very well priced cars the bargain we believe them to be or if we should be posting them at all because of the higher likelihood of a potentially serious problem. On a side note a car that recently passed the test may have since developed or indeed had a serious problem at the time of passing the NCT rendering it only worth its scrap value...as I'm sure your aware. eg. head gasket.

I agree with the sentiment in the rest of your post. Anything less than 3 months test would be a bit of a flag in my eyes and you would particularly need to go in with eyes wide open. Suss the seller out and bring someone along that knows a bit about cars when viewing as opposed to someone who thinks they know a bit about cars. Of course that's not to say you would never be burnt if you bought a car with lashings of NCT on itsmile.png so eyes wide open through and through particularly at this price level...

True true, but I am wondering why you seem to be singling this one in particular out and suggesting it is more of a fixer upper right now.

It's nothing personal against the poster or the car, I was just discussing the car as it was posted and the question was asked "why so cheap".

Cars are a lucky dip at the best of times, all we can do is read the signs and hope for the best with anything, as you say. I think we all understand that though, some men just like living life on the edge buying cheap and chancey Subarus :pac:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-toyota-yaris-nct-11-17-1-0-litre/14925122

2004 Yaris 1.0 5 door,
    facelift model;
    131k miles were told;
    NCT'd until 11/17;
    not in mint condition like the seller mentions....looks like the front fog lamps may have somehow being robbed. But all the same appears in good order at a glance.
    Asking €1,450 which is not bad against Yaris prices

Cars are a lucky dip at the best of times, all we can do is read the signs and hope for the best with anything, as you say. I think we all understand that though, some men just like living life on the edge buying cheap and chancey Subarus :pac:

Regarding the car in question I could only imagine they are bit of a hoor on tyres if permanent 4wd. Taxing it would drag the heart out of me (I know, I know that's why these sort of cars are virtually worthless here). However, if there are no serious costly issues with the car and buyer can insure it Christ someone will get some bargain.

Edit: it looks like somebody may already have got themselves a bargain....marked as sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »

Sold now,which one of you bought it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

2008 Citroen C2
    1.4 diesel
    Tax until end of the month
    NCT until 01/2018
    €1,999 asking price

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-citroen-c2-1-4-diesel-vtr-ncttax/14947498

YTVmODEwYjUyNjVhNDI3YzcwM2VjNjYzM2Y4NzcxZjAnJNQdcRYCjgyYGs7fz8GvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDc1MTYyOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

On €200 tax and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

colm_mcm wrote: »

Coilovers and all! :eek::cool:

At least the mileage is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Poor spec, short NCT and high miles. But apart from burning oil, these are fairly bulletproof. Had one for two years and it served me very well.

It's a 06 GS300 executive

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-executive/14534104

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

"ONE OWNER FROM NEW"

Make that 2 owners. Why do people always seem to lie about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

B00056718 wrote: »
    Poor spec, short NCT and high miles. But apart from burning oil, these are fairly bulletproof. Had one for two years and it served me very well.

It's a 06 GS300 executive

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-executive/14534104

Why is the spec poor?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement