Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,952 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My one pet hat is tipp-ex on the engine indicating when a belt was "changed", if there's no documented evidence also backing it up I would treat it the with the same cash value I would a free air freshener thrown in to the deal.
    I would very much doubt that you'll find many cars with documented evidence of a T-belt change. In Bangernomics a tipp-ex mark is generally as good as it gets. No one is dropping a €700 car into a main dealers to get the T-belt done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Quazzie wrote: »
    I would very much doubt that you'll find many cars with documented evidence of a T-belt change. In Bangernomics a tipp-ex mark is generally as good as it gets. No one is dropping a €700 car into a main dealers to get the T-belt done.

A mindset I can't understand. I've kept everything documented, it will only help me come re-sale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Wait a year - mine will slowly get into a banger terrirory... And in addition to tipp-ex, you'll full documentation in paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

2006 Auto Passat.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-auto-must-sell-this-week/14681134

It's actually a mate of mine who's leaving the country. Well, it's his wife's car.

Will take 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,952 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

bear1 wrote: »
    A mindset I can't understand. I've kept everything documented, it will only help me come re-sale time.
    I understand that in a car that is not in bangernomics territory. 100% I agree, but a timing belt change in a main dealer would make a LOT of bangernomic cars an economical write off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I understand that in a car that is not in bangernomics territory. 100% I agree, but a timing belt change in a main dealer would make a LOT of bangernomic cars an economical write off.

But sure who'd be giving the banger to a maindealer. Just give it to an indy.

I bought a '05 Focus a year ago for bangernomics €1600. The owner said the belt was done at 130k and there was now 160k on the clock. The tippex was dirty and quite obviously not just written on today. He was also the original owner so I took him at his word. It all checked out. I think when you are in this bracket you have to judge each car as it comes.
    Oh, and it flew through a new NCT on Saturday so good to go for another year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

emeldc wrote: »
    But sure who'd be giving the banger to a maindealer. Just give it to an indy.

I bought a '05 Focus a year ago for bangernomics €1600. The owner said the belt was done at 130k and there was now 160k on the clock. The tippex was dirty and quite obviously not just written on today. He was also the original owner so I took him at his word. It all checked out. I think when you are in this bracket you have to judge each car as it comes.
    Oh, and it flew through a new NCT on Saturday so good to go for another year :D

Or Until the belt snaps.... Which ever comes sooner..

80s Child wrote: »
    2006 Auto Passat.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-auto-must-sell-this-week/14681134

It's actually a mate of mine who's leaving the country. Well, it's his wife's car.

Will take 2k.

Are they DSG or the old type slush box?

jca wrote: »
    Are they DSG or the old type slush box?

In 1.6 fsi petrol from 2006? Only with the "6-Stufen-Tiptronic-Automatikgetriebe".

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Cheap 318i if it checks out
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14631606
    01 BMW 318I for sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Eyes wide open with that I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

unkel wrote: »
    Looks nice but needs a belt straight away. Bangernomics cars at the top of the budget are better with chains. At the lower end of the budget it makes no difference, drive a belted one and pretend it has a chain and needs no maintenance :p

This is a mentality that, while I understand it, isn't something I personally would do. If I buy a bangernomics car I still need it to be somewhat reliable!

There's no point in having a car if you can't trust it imo. For me, if a car proves itself over a few months then I'm happy to splash out a little on good tyres/timing belt etc.

Especially if I'm carrying relatives or children etc, I don't want the car to leave me at the side of the road in West Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I couldn't think of a better place to have a breakdown..

jelutong wrote: »
    I couldn't think of a better place to have a breakdown..

In the summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

166man wrote: »
    This is a mentality that, while I understand it, isn't something I personally would do. If I buy a bangernomics car I still need it to be somewhat reliable!

If you have the money, it's all grand to do a bit of preventative maintenance and have the belt replaced

If you need to run the car on a shoe string, there simply isn't the budget to spend like that. You either get a car that has it done, or one that doesn't need it doing (chain) and for some it means not getting it done while you know it needs one

Bought an Audi TT last year in superb condition for €1,600 with the belt recently done. Took me months to find one though. It was one of many cars that actually made me money, even including tax, insurance, petrol, maintenance. If I had to pay for a belt, it would have lost me money...

If you have the money, it's all grand to do a bit of preventative maintenance and have the belt replaced

If you need to run the car on a shoe string, there simply isn't the budget to spend like that. You either get a car that has it done, or one that doesn't need it doing (chain) and for some it means not getting it done while you know it needs one

Bought an Audi TT last year in superb condition for €1,600 with the belt recently done. Took me months to find one though. It was one of many cars that actually made me money, even including tax, insurance, petrol, maintenance. If I had to pay for a belt, it would have lost me money...

'Tis €400 odd to have a belt etc done. A very small percentage of the overall running costs of a car.

I guess I'm more talking in more general terms with maintenance. I understand doing bangernomics as cheaply as possible, but I like to know I have taken as many steps as I can to ensure whatever I buy won't leave me at the side of the road.

No point in owning a car if there's no confidence to take it on a 500 mile spin that it can do it and back.

I guess it does depend on the individual too tbh, I don't do bangernomics to flip cars and make money :)

'Tis €400 odd to have a belt etc done. A very small percentage of the overall running costs of a car.

No point in owning a car if there's no confidence to take it on a 500 mile spin that it can do it and back.

Not only that. Unkel already mentioned, it takes time to find a one in good condition.

So if couple of hundreds more mean I will not have to spent months looking again in ten weeks - be it...

Not in my case. It would have doubled / tripled my overal running costs...

But as I said, different strokes for everyone. Some people buy a €2k car and spend €2k per year on maintenance on it. I wouldn't like that idea myself :p

grogi wrote: »
    So if couple of hundreds more mean I will not have to spent months looking again in ten weeks - be it...

Looking at it just meant browsing DoneDeal. That's a hobby, some people watch soaps or sport, I don't :p

Almost always when I actually go see the car, I buy it.

Not in my case. It would have doubled / tripled my overal running costs...

But as I said, different strokes for everyone. Some people buy a €2k car and spend €2k per year on maintenance on it. I wouldn't like that idea myself :p

Ah yeah well unless it was something special then that's madness. But if I buy a €2k and know I'm going to drive it for 12 months, then putting €1k into it to make sure its reliable is a small price to pay, especially if you get back your €2k in 12 months time. :)

Looking at it just meant browsing DoneDeal. That's a hobby, some people watch soaps or sport, I don't :p

Almost always when I actually go see the car, I buy it.

I'm exactly the same :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Ideal car to have for the summer (if we get one!)
    2007 Renault Megane
    Tax until the end of the month
    NCT until the end of next year
    Low mileage & full service history since new
    Leather interior
    Asking for €2,100 but I'm sure there's room for negotiation (I see a small dent in pic #3)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-cabriolet-low-mileage-new-nct-and-tax/14968851

NGNkNjY0YzAzNTQwOWI2YTNmM2ZiNzQ4ZjcxZjdjODWYWOoYiauJcorSESSbouoyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDg2Nzc5Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Yer man has a few cars for sale. Some of them a bit too cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The coupe was traded into a dealership last month. I'm guessing these are just trade cars that abmain dealer had €50 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thinking of swapping my '02 525i for a diesel something or other. I know I mentioned it previously here but I haven't jumped yet because the E39 is so nice to drive, ~190BHP, and that sound at 5k+ RPM...

But back to reality, I need something with better running costs, and I can claim VAT back on diesel but not petrol (which is ridiculous but that's an argument for a different thread). Commercial tax would be nice but not essential.

I'm looking for Bangernomics recommendations, can I get something within these specs?
    • 2007 or later (pushing it at 'nomics budget, I know)
    • Diesel with a bit of poke
    • 1.8-2.2L but would stretch to 2.5 for an exceptionally good car
    • Reliable (doesn't have to be Avensis level, but it would be nice to approach that)
    • Interior that isn't like dining at MacDonalds
    • Autobox nice to have
    • Estate slightly preferable
    • SUV acceptable if commercial

All specs flexible, I know I can't get everything on the wish list, but what cars should I be looking out for? I saw some 2.2L diesel jags mentioned a few pages ago, any good? Willing to be open minded.

Edit: I'm looking for make+model recommendations or specific ads, whatever you have.

Edit2: mods, I can repost as new thread if preferred

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Trojan wrote: »
    Thinking of swapping my '02 525i for a diesel something or other. I know I mentioned it previously here but I haven't jumped yet because the E39 is so nice to drive, ~190BHP, and that sound at 5k+ RPM...

But back to reality, I need something with better running costs, and I can claim VAT back on diesel but not petrol (which is ridiculous but that's an argument for a different thread). Commercial tax would be nice but not essential.

I'm looking for Bangernomics recommendations, can I get something within these specs?
    • 2007 or later (pushing it at 'nomics budget, I know)
    • Diesel with a bit of poke
    • 1.8-2.2L but would stretch to 2.5 for an exceptionally good car
    • Reliable (doesn't have to be Avensis level, but it would be nice to approach that)
    • Interior that isn't like dining at MacDonalds
    • Autobox nice to have
    • Estate slightly preferable
    • SUV acceptable if commercial

All specs flexible, I know I can't get everything on the wish list, but what cars should I be looking out for? I saw some 2.2L diesel jags mentioned a few pages ago, any good? Willing to be open minded.

Edit: I'm looking for make+model recommendations or specific ads, whatever you have.

Volvo V70 D5, not strictly bangernomics price wise but it most of your other boxes:

Mzc2ZmRmY2IzODFjNzA4NDBmNWE5OWY3ZDU3NTgxNTH0hyJyfYaAAbBSFs_T1QcPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTM4NjIwN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-d5-auto-leather/14700584

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Do the Tucson suffer camshaft wear?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement