Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    According to the tippex it was done at 197k miles

Maybe your eyes are better than mine (I'll need reading glasses within the next few years), but I read it as 138,872?
    it's a non interference engine.

Fair enough so!

I once had a car that was produced for nearly 20 years. Over the years the engine had gone from 4.5 and 4.7 (both 16V) to 5.0 and 5.4 (both 32V). I knew the first one was non-interference and the latter two were interference. I thought my 4.7 was non-interference but I just couldn't find out for sure (googling) that it was. A wise man then told me that if you don't know for certain that it is non-interference, then it is interference :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

4afe is 100% non interference but it is very true about some cars engines starting out as being noninterference and then becoming interference in later generations. The final versions of toyota's 3sge is an example all the models with vvti are apparently interference whereas the older non vvti ones are supposed to be non interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe your eyes are better than mine (I'll need reading glasses within the next few years), but I read it as 138,872?

If you look at the air filter cover I think it says 197. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I always thought it's funny how many people rely on the Tippex marker as being honest. In truth anyone can write what they want in the engine bay. I wouldn't place any worth on it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

the hella grill is nice on the carina - i would love one for my own

re: the belt, if you are just tipping about near home, then as she is a non interference you could take the risk i guess, but its sods law that it will go when you are in a rush somewhere. im taking a risk on mine (4afe) as i don't know when it was done last, but i am also mindful of next years insurance quote seeing as she will be 20 years old and some companies are not happy to insure cars of that age any more. Its up in Feb so I reckon i will risk till then and if the quote for the following year is ok, i will get the belt done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Red Kev wrote: »
    I always thought it's funny how many people rely on the Tippex marker as being honest. In truth anyone can write what they want in the engine bay. I wouldn't place any worth on it whatsoever.

I don't know many who do(me included), especially when buying a car off a complete stranger. In saying that I know cars with the service history written in tippex that have genuinely been maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't know many who do(me included), especially when buying a car off a complete stranger. In saying that I know cars with the service history written in tippex that have genuinely been maintained.
    Mine had it written on the TB cover but on the 2C-TE you can undo 2 10mm bolts and 2 spring clips and see for yourself what condition it is in.
    Not many engines are that easy to check though.

If you look at the air filter cover I think it says 197. :)

Ha! Missed that one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10713674

Slightly over budget, but it's a little different to the usual stuff in here, 6 months test.

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10998424

Mercedes, €600 asking, 6 months test, 3 months tax, just one catch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

Slightly over budget, but it's a little different to the usual stuff in here, 6 months test.

That looks very tidy. Nice spot.

Scruffy but its almost free.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10862646

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

CJhaughey wrote: »

jesus that looks a right little deal......

Wonder has it ever seen a timing belt? Could still be on it's original tyres etc?

Hard to get in that condition and mileage these days.
    Not the worst colour either, My missus had one back a few years and it was a nippy little thing, that engine is as good as its bigger brother the 4-AFE

Oh yeah, they are a great car, absolutely, i've had enough of them :P just dont know if i'd go the better park of €2k on one that may not have been serviced in 15 years... swings and roundabouts I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Wow I'd love that Starlet. I'd say if you could get it closer to €1500 it would be a reasonable buy. The older model can be seen going for that. I know my neighbour paid €1k for one. You would have to know what state the belt is in it. You'd wonder how many little gems like this are still around the city. Like my old Suzuki Alto...but I won't go into that one again :P

I never got to see the Carina today. Booked the Sunny in for an NCT but it isn't for two weeks so I think I will just re tax it and keep it until the new year at least. I think the look of that car just got the better of me. I have no logical reason to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Speaking of Carinas

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-e-xli/11017871?offset=10

Lets hope the owner masters the trickery required for uploading photos but this seems like an honest Carina e tax and test unti 2016 for €550

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

"Will still be running in 50 years, the Japs will want it back!"

love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-bmw-525-touring-full-service-history-/10983840?offset=23

49467766.jpeg

Nice cheap bus for someone with great spec! Just need to be careful with rust as it's a swimmer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-bmw-525-touring-full-service-history-/10983840?offset=23

49467766.jpeg

Nice cheap bus for someone with great spec! Just need to be careful with rust as it's a swimmer!

NCT is out in a few weeks, what's the betting the owner was already there and there's an expensive repair. Also the photos are taken very subtly so you can't see the reg.

This has a new NCT till June '16 for €650 more. I'd prefer to chance this and get a new NCT in March.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e39-520i-estate/10830962?offset=19
    48733238.jpeg

These can be a minefield but this one looks unabused and it's a dealer sale. Good fun for €2k

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11028424

Red Kev wrote: »
    NCT is out in a few weeks, what's the betting the owner was already there and there's an expensive repair. Also the photos are taken very subtly so you can't see the reg.

+1

Also 143k miles (230k km) would be pushing it on the autobox of that gen. 50k km less would ease my mind considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

I'd take any car in this thread over that, just no, could you actually drive that without a bag over your head espically on a day like today roof down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Possibly not the worst day ever to make an offer :D...

I love that! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd take any car in this thread over that, just no, could you actually drive that without a bag over your head espically on a day like today roof down :P

Only someone as cool as James May could drive that. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement