Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

This might just suit ....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11085093

Good aul test. Some marks but so what. Haggle hard.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11084909

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I know the Mazda 323 has been slated in here due to "rust issues" but I've had a few of them, currently in a 99 hatchback one and I've never ever seen any kind of rust or had rust issues whatsoever. An utterly reliable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I know the Mazda 323 has been slated in here due to "rust issues" but I've had a few of them, currently in a 99 hatchback one and I've never ever seen any kind of rust or had rust issues whatsoever. An utterly reliable car.

They don't usually show it on the upper half of the car, or at least not in this country. Look underneath and I'm pretty certain you'll find plenty. Other weak points include the rear half of the sills(back by wheel arches) and the wheel arches themselves. It's a pity because as you say they are utterly reliable and a nicely finished car inside too, especially the facelifts.

Mazda's from the late 90's on have dreadful rust protection for some reason.

• Advertisement

Thoughts on this Civic that's got NCT until next October?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/civic/1996-honda-civic/9453275

Cianos wrote: »
    Thoughts on this Civic that's got NCT until next October?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/civic/1996-honda-civic/9453275

Looks good. Cheap too. Bring cash and haggle hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This might just suit ....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11085093

Is the price on the tax for that incorrect given it's only a 1.4?

cormie wrote: »
    Is the price on the tax for that incorrect given it's only a 1.4?

It is if it's really a 1.4. It should say €385

Kia Shuma 03, NCT until July, 70k miles. Guy has decent Adverts feedback, is a mechanic himself. Thoughts?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/kia/shuma/2003-kia-shuma-new-nct/9454330

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Kia Shuma 03, NCT until July, 70k miles. Guy has decent Adverts feedback, is a mechanic himself. Thoughts?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/kia/shuma/2003-kia-shuma-new-nct/9454330

Does that one have mazda mechanicals? Mazda oily bits in a non rusting body. Could be a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That guy sends everything through a test before selling which is a good siggn (to me anyway) but I wouldn't give 900 or close to it for a Kia Shuma

That guy sends everything through a test before selling which is a good siggn (to me anyway) but I wouldn't give 900 or close to it for a Kia Shuma

Why not?

There are much nicer cars out there for the money.

e11 Corolla or similar vintage Honda Civic spring to mind

There are much nicer cars out there for the money.

e11 Corolla or similar vintage Honda Civic spring to mind

Thanks for the reply. Reliability is my main concern tbh, and I'm under too much time pressure to be dealing with messers. A long NCT from a mechanic with a decent adverts feedback score is ticking the boxes for me. That being said I don't know anything about the model itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Fords from the 90's and early 00's like to rust aswell so I wouldn't exactly write off mazda's just because they're prone to rust, chances are if it's gone through a test recently and the sills/arches look soilid a Mazda will be a perfectly sensible bangernomics purchase. For your budget @cianos id be looking for a ek civic saloon, corolla e11 or e10 or a Mazda 323 or if size isn't a factor a k11 micra or starlet a good example of any of these will offer you years of reliable driving for little outlay.

Fords from the 90's and early 00's like to rust aswell so I wouldn't exactly write off mazda's just because they're prone to rust, chances are if it's gone through a test recently and the sills/arches look soilid a Mazda will be a perfectly sensible bangernomics purchase. For your budget @cianos id be looking for a ek civic saloon, corolla e11 or e10 or a Mazda 323 or if size isn't a factor a k11 micra or starlet a good example of any of these will offer you years of reliable driving for little outlay.

What about this Corolla?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-for-sale-/10990185

Looks good. If it truly does need to be sold this weekend you could try your hand at about 700-50

Looks good. If it truly does need to be sold this weekend you could try your hand at about 700-50

Would have thought the Kia would be a better choice with half the mileage?

From what I seen of the 323's they are a lot worse than say a Late 90's focus for poor rust protection. You can still pick up a rust free focus easily enough but getting a 323 that's rust free underneath is becoming very difficult, nearly impossible I would say.

They really are that poor. I wouldn't take an nct as being indicitave of a rust free car. An nct will be passed as long as no holes are present, the car could still have a lot of rust on the underbody just that it's not bad enough to fail yet, remember the op wants to keep the car for a few years.

• Advertisement

If that corolla is in anyway decent it will be a much better car than the KIA, regardless of the mileage difference.

Go look at both and then decide. You might find the Kia is in better shape, looks a bit more presentable and is coming from a mechanic. The lower mileage is a definite plus and the mazda engines are pretty decent.

If you are looking at the corolla, ask why is it for sale less than a month after its last transfer.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    From what I seen of the 323's they are a lot worse than say a Late 90's focus for poor rust protection. You can still pick up a rust free focus easily enough but getting a 323 that's rust free underneath is becoming very difficult, nearly impossible I would say.

They really are that poor. I wouldn't take an nct as being indicitave of a rust free car. An nct will be passed as long as no holes are present, the car could still have a lot of rust on the underbody just that it's not bad enough to fail yet, remember the op wants to keep the car for a few years.

Didnt know the op wanted the car long term good to know, corolla or civic be a better bet so.
    Although the NCT won't show whether a car is rusty or not the chances of a car that passed with no rust warnings a few weeks ago deteriorating that rapidly that for the next test it would require major rust repair is unlikely. Looking after a bit of light rust can be easier and much cheaper than some mechanical issues so I wouldn't place quite such an emphasis on it but I would agree on there being other more suitable cars. The ford fiestas and ka's do seem to rust much worse than the focus'.
    @cianos that corolla could be worth a look some of the zz engines (1.4's) burned a bit of oil but they are still a good engine and offer good performance and economy for what they are. If I was in your position though id be more inclined to go for a 4efe engined Toyota (1.3) as these are a legendarily reliable engine the bug eye e11 corolla (pre 00) was the last to have it fitted. If ya could stretch to a 1.6 the 4afe is another great reliable engine again production ended around 00.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10986329
    **Reduced** Honda Civic SE 1.6 2001
    @cianos haven't seen one of these mentioned they're a good reliable safe car and are very cheap as everyone seems to want them in 3door or saloon variants. They also feel and look modern-ish which would be a nice plus considering you want to keep the car for a while. This one looks to be genuine going by the add and it has a full service history. I don't think many realise how cheap these have gotten the last while

Thanks again for all the replies.

The reason I'm still leaning towards that Kia Shuma is because while I would like the car to do me for at least 2 years, the first year would be more important than the subsequent year(s). In my mind (correct me if I'm wrong) taking a newly NCTd car off a mechanic with low mileage and recent timing belt change sounds more likely to give hassle free driving for at least a year than buying what might be a better model long term but could have serious issues with it that could crop up short term.

In other words given I have no knowledge about cars myself buying a car that looks solid from someone trustworthy (despite the model itself not being as good as others) is more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I would disagree.

If you bought that green Corolla for €800 and gave it an oil change, the chances of ever having any problems is virtually zero.

The Kia, while well sorted is a bit of a flimsy car and how well it will stay together in the Autumn of its life is questionable. How many do you still see on the roads, versus the Corolla?

I'm not saying don't buy the Kia, but give it thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Kia Shuma has a good chance of being cheaper to insure than a Civic or Corolla for similar money. Very different demographic, not to say grannies don't drive corollas or civics - but you know what I mean.

On the other hand- where are you gonna get any parts for a shuma if you do need them!

My own advice here is - don't overthink bangernomics. I took me a while humming and hawing and waiting for "just the right car" to become available to realise - the absolute best value car is never in the right place at the right time. Just get something half decent and don't agonise over €50 this way or that way, whether that Civic 2 counties away with mismatched hubcaps is better than or the Corolla 10 minutes away with the scratch on the door ( or whatever).

Yeah I agree you could spend forever looking for the perfect one.

Thoughts on this if I could get it for 800?

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/10986329

On the other hand- where are you gonna get any parts for a shuma if you do need them!

Theres a good Kia dealer network in Ireland ( they have 4.5% of the market in Ireland, twice that of, say peugeot). Also, a quick check on Micks garage shows no issue getting things like cv joints (23euro), oil pressure switch (7 euro) - cant find anyting obvious thats unlisted.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree you could spend forever looking for the perfect one.

Thoughts on this if I could get it for 800?

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/10986329

Honda would be a good buy - the boy racers arent into them as much as the earleir ones so fewer thrashed examples knocking around. Largely trouble free, engine is non-interferance ( I think!!) so belt isnt as critical as other engines. (but still get evidence that it was done) They have electric steering, so make sure that works properly.

A lot more class than the shuma as well, plus the honda will be infinitely more salable in 2 years time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement