Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Theres a good Kia dealer network in Ireland ( they have 4.5% of the market in Ireland, twice that of, say peugeot). Also, a quick check on Micks garage shows no issue getting things like cv joints (23euro), oil pressure switch (7 euro) - cant find anyting obvious thats unlisted.
    You're right. I just threw a stone out the window there and it hit one Shuma, bounced hit another, and came to rest under a third one. In fact the car park is full of Shumas. One of them is towing a trailer of full of Shuma headlights and taillights and window motors.
    All the owners are gathered in one corner bullying Ireland's only Peugeot driver.

tve5756-00000306-897.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Theres a good Kia dealer network in Ireland ( they have 4.5% of the market in Ireland, twice that of, say peugeot). Also, a quick check on Micks garage shows no issue getting things like cv joints (23euro), oil pressure switch (7 euro) - cant find anyting obvious thats unlisted.

plus pretty much everything mechanical/ electrical/ chassis bar the body panels (even some glass afaik) will be interchangeable with the slightly more popular Hyundai Elantra. Then in turn most Elantra mechanical/ chassis stuff is interchangeable with the Hyundai Coupe... so yeah, you can use a fair bit of Hyundai Coupe stuff to fix it.

still wouldn't convince me to buy it though :pac:

the red Civic looks ok, i'd rather the green Corolla though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

You're right. I just threw a stone out the window there and it hit one Shuma, bounced hit another, and came to rest under a third one. In fact the car park is full of Shumas. One of them is towing a trailer of full of Shuma headlights and taillights and window motors.
    All the owners are gathered in one corner bullying Ireland's only Peugeot driver.

Aw, diddums. Hurt feelings much? :)

You should call yourself "special needs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Aw, diddums. Hurt feelings much? :)

You should call yourself "special needs"
    meh:p

Nice dig at the less fortunate than yourself though - classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭RayCon

If it's a Kia Shuma V's Honda Civic you are debating .... STOP. Honda all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

plus pretty much everything mechanical/ electrical/ chassis bar the body panels (even some glass afaik) will be interchangeable with the slightly more popular Hyundai Elantra. Then in turn most Elantra mechanical/ chassis stuff is interchangeable with the Hyundai Coupe... so yeah, you can use a fair bit of Hyundai Coupe stuff to fix it.

Nope. A Kia Shuma is no relation to a Hyundai at all. They were from the era when Kia was using Mazda mechanicals (probably a better place to start in fairness) and sticking their own eh.. unique design on them :D So basically a Korean Mazda. So all in all awful but it'll probably last longer than genital herpes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Sephia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The only problem with the shuma is that it hails from a time when kia where making cheap and cheerful cars, although I don't know if I'd describe the shuma as all that cheerful.

Compared with the competition at the time it's dated, it's interior materials aren't that nice and it's built to a budget.

Still if you're in a major rush for a car it might do the job fine for a couple of years. It will be a major step down from the focus though.

Nope. A Kia Shuma is no relation to a Hyundai at all. They were from the era when Kia was using Mazda mechanicals (probably a better place to start in fairness) and sticking their own eh.. unique design on them :D So basically a Korean Mazda. So all in all awful but it'll probably last longer than genital herpes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Sephia

i don't know now, i mean even to throw your eye over them there is a lot of stuff that is directly liftable from one to another. would that Shuma not use the Hyundai/ Kia G4 engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jaysus a debate about a Kia Shuma :D this thread has changed.

bear1 wrote: »
    Jaysus a debate about a Kia Shuma :D this thread has changed.

makes a change from 520i's and Saab 9-5's with dirty sumps :pac:

• Advertisement

i don't know now, i mean even to throw your eye over them there is a lot of stuff that is directly liftable from one to another. would that Shuma not use the Hyundai/ Kia G4 engine?
    Body panels and engines are different. Not the same cars at all tbh.
    api-model-year-image.ashx?id=1671&width=730
    kia-shuma-ii-06.jpg

look at the interiors, subtly different visually, yes. every switch and button is in the same location and the general topography is the same. admittedly the Elantras interior looks fresher but that's not really the point.

what 1.6 Mazda engine was used in it?

2001-kia-spectra-12.jpg

hyundai-elantra-2002-8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Another Corolla, NCT until July. A bit of an ugly rear on it though and 180k miles.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-nct-07-16/10605832

Cianos wrote: »
    Another Corolla, NCT until July. A bit of an ugly rear on it though and 180k miles.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-nct-07-16/10605832

That's a basic spec uk import. I'd sooner have the green one tbh.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That's a basic spec uk import. I'd sooner have the green one tbh.

The green one shouted down the phone to me when I asked him about the change of ownership within a month, so won't be going there.:rolleyes:

hell of a lot of lacquer peel on every single panel too. miles are getting a bit steep too. i'd second the green one, again.

the thing is, i've bought cars off of some seriously dodgy individuals and at this price point you are going to meet some fairly interesting characters. you aren't looking to marry them, just tolerate them long enough to get the car from them. the chances of meeting a sweet old lady are pretty slim, it's going to be primarily gentlemen wearing wife beaters or tracksuit trousers tucked into their socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The new DD format does my head in, they have made it to suit vertical scrolling tabs and phones, looks ****e on a PC

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

those liftbacks ain't lookers, but they have incredible space and you can be sure they haven't got into the hands of the boy racers

i see the toyota red paint curse has emerged on this one as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

@Cianos - I personally can't find fault in that Civic. I'm biased as I love Japs, love Hondas plus you can get through Christmas and not think about tax till the end of February then the all important NCT up to next August. I'd certainly be going to look at it and as the guy is going abroad you might get the microwave and the cat.

I'd hold out €800 and if not I'd be off down to some public jax on Saturday night with a jar of vaseline and my trousers around my ankles to get the extra €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

final word on the kia...

Scotsman Shuma review

the tl:dr for the article is:
    The Shuma II is no more or less attractive than a Mitsubishi Carisma or a Nissan Almera

I suppose when you are struggling to say something positive, then that will do.... :)

• Advertisement

I'd hold out €800 and if not I'd be off down to some public jax on Saturday night with a jar of vaseline and my trousers around my ankles to get the extra €100.

I know I'm desperate but hopefully not that desperate!

The guy messaged me to say he's willing to go 850 so I'll probably take him up on that.

yeah, the Civic has been kind of overlooked but it certainly isn't a bad call, not the prettiest thing but there is a Shuma on the options list :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

@cianos
    Ya in fairness when I spotted the civic it appeared to be very genuine and if the sub 130k miles is genuine then it should be a great buy! the little bit of tax is a nice bonus aswell. They are poor sellers as everyone seems to want the 3dr or saloon ones as I mentioned earlier but that's what makes them such a good bangernomics buy. They really are cheaper than you would think.
    The Honda 1.6 will feel noticeably punchier than a 1.4 focus and the interiors are clean and modern-ish so all in all it should feel like your upgrading even though it's a small outlay of money. I'd say you'd get it for under 800 but it depends on how much haggling ya want to do the fact your man is looking to leave the country should make him eager to sell and the add hadn't too many views so he's probably not getting bombarded with calls. Just bring a knowledgable person with ya to look over the basics and chances are it won't give ya a days bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

yeah, the Civic has been kind of overlooked but it certainly isn't a bad call, not the prettiest thing but there is a Shuma on the options list :P

I actually think the Shuma looks pretty good!

I actually think the Shuma looks pretty good!

ah yeah, well on paper it looks good and if you squint it looks good too and if that's all your worried about then it is good.

but there are more accomplished cars out there for similar money.

like for example, the chances of the Shuma ever doing 200k miles is very slim, whereas the Civic or Corolla could do it with relative ease, but again this may not be something that concerns you.

ah yeah, well on paper it looks good and if you squint it looks good too and if that's all your worried about then it is good.

but there are more accomplished cars out there for similar money.

like for example, the chances of the Shuma ever doing 200k miles is very slim, whereas the Civic or Corolla could do it with relative ease, but again this may not be something that concerns you.

at 70k miles now and me only doing around 50 miles on the average week it actually wouldn't bother me much at all.

at 70k miles now and me only doing around 50 miles on the average week it actually wouldn't bother me much at all.

yeah, like i'm genuinely not putting it down as a car, for your usage many of these things may not matter.

it has to be said though, the Shuma was built to a tight budget and when you sit in one, or drive one, it shows. they feel very "thin", every control is flimsy, the doors don't shut "like a Golf", road noise is quite strong etc. you have to ask yourself if there is a notable quality difference in how the car looks and feels; where is the quality lacking in terms of mechanical, electronics and reliability.

now, if you are looking for a 50 miles a week car to potter you from A-B, that even you may never even take to 100k miles, this may not bother you at all which is fair enough but it's worth pointing out, just encase.

again, i'm not dissing the Shuma, it's presentable looking with a reasonably fresh reg, decent few mod cons, tax and test and well serviced, so it's far from a bad deal but possibly not the best utilisation of the cash you have to play with.

Cheers, I am looking for something that will just do me for now and the foreseeable, and I won't be doing any heavy commuting in it. My requirements aren't high I just don't want to be taking on more hassle and don't have the time for dealing with cowboys and dodgy heads.

Just saw this one;

https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11063641

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

davycc wrote: »

Judging by the comments in the ad he had that for sale a year ago and had the HG done then. Strange it should need a thermostat now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement