Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e320-nct-amp-tax/11085580
    49941396.jpeg

Only tested for another five months but its got private tax to see you through Christmas and its a V6. Nice yoke to get around in for the Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Quite far to go as it's in Galway, but could be a good deal with cheap tax and insurance?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/polo/10759356

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Forget the second Golf, it only has a few weeks NCT.

Ring one of these up and see how you get on. All Corollas, generally regarded as the most reliable car in that age and category. All are in Dublin, they all cost less than €1000. First two have 10 months NCT, last one has 7 months.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/10764090

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1998-nct-2016/10938479

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11088830

At the very least get out and look at one of them this weekend. You'll never get a car just talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

cormie wrote: »
    Quite far to go as it's in Galway, but could be a good deal with cheap tax and insurance?

Great spec for a 97 Polo 1 litre. UK import maybe? Anyway, looks clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

racso1975 wrote: »
    Hey lurked the war chest comment about Audi. Is that cause of fuel cost and tax or repairs service eyc?

Thanks

Bit of both. They're not great on diesel plus the tax is higher than the average joe car. Should anything give up like a diff or timing belt then its lights. Simply no point repairing it. Nice bus though and if bought cheap enough its worth a crack.

What's cheap? Mate of mine bought a 03 one of these with a long test but short tax, in above average condition and just about everything working fine for 400 quid last month. 180 miles and a history to go with it. He got it cheap enough I suppose but that's close to what its really worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

emeldc wrote: »
    Wha?

It was a question for long time lurker who posted an Audi 2.5 a6 estate saying you'd need a war chest to fund it and I was just wondering why

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11097295

Facelift e11 saloon with a full 12 months test for under 800 quid. Miles are quite low too. A set of wheel trims and a new number plate would tidy it up nicely imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Not sure how long the test if for but the tax is a real sweetener. Looks clean enough too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/11093627

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11097295

Facelift e11 saloon with a full 12 months test for under 800 quid. Miles are quite low too. A set of wheel trims and a new number plate would tidy it up nicely imo.

Viewing this tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Not sure how long the test if for but the tax is a real sweetener. Looks clean enough too.

Good lord, D_Z, thats something else. NCT until end Jan - 2017!! :eek:

Thats pretty close to a free car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,336 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

Car asking €495 with €365 tax on it. You're not gonna believe it but NCT until '17 :eek:

Incredible bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Good lord, D_Z, thats something else. NCT until end Jan - 2017!! :eek:

Thats pretty close to a free car there.
    unkel wrote: »
    Car asking €495 with €365 tax on it. You're not gonna believe it but NCT until '17 :eek:

Incredible bargain!

Thanks for checking the data on the NCT lads! If I was in the county I would be stupid enough to buy that! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Are you folks on cartel or something to be able to know the NCT? :)

Shockingly good value, that Primera.

@cormie, you can check the NCT details of a car on the NCT website

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That primera gets my vote and one I think you should look at Cianos. The corrola may be good but the primera has plenty character aswell as the long test.

Hal1 wrote: »
    That primera gets my vote and one I think you should look at Cianos. The corrola may be good but the primera has plenty character aswell as the long test.

+1

Not as reliable and bullet proof as the Toyota, but not as brutally spartan either. Nice drive too. I already have 2 cars but I have to restrain myself from driving out to your man and buying the Primera on the spot :p

It's the Bangernomics winner of 2015 imho...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10712048
    Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 History & NCT

Some interesting bangernomics here. While the Corollas and stuff fit the bill perfectly for most I cannot stand them!

This has a good test, recent belt replacement and looks very clean and straight. If there's evidence of frequent oil changes then the twin sparks are excellent engines.

The interior would benefit from a leather interior but they're handily sourced. For €800 odd it's a nice place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Honest aul thing. Probably out last its next owner

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9687771

Those Lancer estates are very nice looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Jaysus I'll definitely be ringing about that Primera in the morning but something tells me it'll be long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Cianos wrote: »
    Jaysus I'll definitely be ringing about that Primera in the morning but something tells me it'll be long gone!

The Corolla is not much more in the grand scheme of things and is a much better bet if you intend to keep the car for a few years, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those Lancer estates are very nice looking
    They look good but the seats aren't very comfortable, I had a 2.4 as a Rental a few years ago and I found it very hard to get comfortable.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The Corolla is not much more in the grand scheme of things and is a much better bet if you intend to keep the car for a few years, imo.

Some of us want extreme reliability and they don't care about anything else even if they have to pay a lot of extra money for it.

Others want a bit more fun, a bit of a bigger car, with a bit more luxury, a bit more comfort, a longer test, more tax already paid, a bit more safety, some more bells & whistles, a bit better to drive, and a lot cheaper. The Primera is all of those 10 things compared to the hairshirt Corolla.

unkel wrote: »
    Some of us want extreme reliability and they don't care about anything else even if they have to pay a lot of extra money for it.

Others want a bit more fun, a bit of a bigger car, with a bit more luxury, a bit more comfort, a longer test, more tax already paid, a bit more safety, some more bells & whistles, a bit better to drive, and a lot cheaper. The Primera is all of those 10 things compared to the hairshirt Corolla.

Except the primera is not most of those things. It's bigger, yes and it might have a longer test and more tax but in the longer term the corolla is a better option. It's much better built, more pleasant to drive, offers the same performance whilst being more economical and contrary to what you say it's actually slighty safer than a primera and really hasn't any less bells and whistles.

The primera is no bad bangernomics, just not as good long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Except the primera is not most of those things. It's bigger, yes and it might have a longer test and more tax but in the longer term the corolla is a better option. It's much better built, more pleasant to drive, offers the same performance whilst being more economical and contrary to what you say it's actually slighty safer than a primera and really hasn't any less bells and whistles.

The primera is no bad bangernomics, just not as good long term.

Oh come on get in the sea! I know you have a strange horn for misery spec Corollas but trying to say it's better than that Primera is just madness.

The Primera is taxed worth €380 and it's €300 cheaper to buy. It's a bigger car with more comfortable seats and I think at this end of the spectrum the "driving experience" is going to be pretty similar. Let's gets real here they're both decades old with enough miles on both and 4 cylinder engines. Realistically they'll drive similar enough.

Those Corollas are of the era of the oil burning phase I believe as well. The Primera may show signs of rust around the sills but as a recent poster showed that can be taken care of for an NCT handily enough.

I think you really need to jog on with your Toyota fetish on this one. There's no plausible way you could justify that Corolla as being as being a better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

166man wrote: »
    [...]

Those Corollas are of the era of the oil burning phase I believe as well. [...]

Correct. But Toyota offered shortblock replacement under warranty for those who complained about oil burning issue. Owners rarely complained though.

That particular one was built Sep/Oct 2000, registered Jan 2001. Maybe I'm wrong, but looking at driver's seat I very doubt mileage is genuine.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Correct. But Toyota offered shortblock replacement under warranty for those who complained about oil burning issue. Owners rarely complained though.

That particular one was built Sep/Oct 2000, registered Jan 2001. Maybe I'm wrong, but looking at driver's seat I very doubt mileage is genuine.

The oil issue isn't big. The worst offenders were repaired by Toyota. The rest didn't burn enough oil for it to be an issue. As for the seat I wouldn't say it's unusual to see a seat like that at 114k miles. As with everything it depends on the driver. It just looks creased to me though. They usually go shiney when they are worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The oil issue isn't big. The worst offenders were repaired by Toyota. The rest didn't burn enough oil for it to be an issue.
    I own two. One burned 1 litre per 1000km until died. Another one burns 1.5 litre per 1000 km. Not an issue at all. :P
    As for the seat I wouldn't say it's unusual to see a seat like that at 114k miles. As with everything it depends on the driver. It just looks creased to me though. They usually go shiney when they are worn.

Maybe it's not unusual alright. 3 times that mileage and seat looks like new - 95 kg fat driver goes in/out 6 times a day last 7 years, that's why my doubts arose. :)

Body itself looks very, very well though, and is in my favourite colour. :D

Edit: Anyway, IF shortblock has been replaced, dealer would confirm that upon request no problem. No obvious sign of that in the engine bay apart from different oil dipstick.

• Advertisement

I own two. One burned 1 litre per 1000km until died. Another one burns 1.5 litre per 1000 km. Not an issue at all. :P
    Most that were burning excessive oil we're repaired. Yours may not have been but you don't see many these days burning excessive oil. None of the ones I had burned more the half a liter after 3k miles. The fords I had burned a lot more but you don't hear people complaining about them.
    Maybe it's not unusual alright. 3 times that mileage and seat looks like new - 95 kg fat driver goes in/out 6 times a day last 7 years. :)

Mine was creased at 110k miles. These were genuine miles too as it had a ftsh. The seat wasn't worn though, just creased.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement