Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The [corolla] oil issue isn't big.

;)

But I'm sure the people who have to stop the car during a journey because the oil light is on due to low pressure might differ with you there. An insidious fault that only rears its head some while after you buy the car. Probably explains while corollas get punted on again so regularly, like our green one earlier. Always check the number of previous owners!!

Like I say, there is no such thing as the "silver bullet" car for reliability. Judge each car on its own merits based on condition and history. Most Jap appliances of that era, if they have been maintained correctly and are in good condition, will last equally as long as any other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

;)

But I'm sure the people who have to stop the car during a journey because the oil light is on due to low pressure might differ with you there. An insidious fault that only rears its head some while after you buy the car.

To be honest if it comes to this I think for the very most part (and I will make exceptions) you only have yourself to blame. It's hardly like you have to be extremely mechanically minded to check you oil level - I do believe you have to be able to do this now as part of your practical driving test. Its something I believe that you should do every few weeks or more often if doing high mileage, and something you just should be particularly conscious of if the car is known to use oil. Its not like it takes a long time to do and you will be just unlucky the odd time to get your hands noticeably dirty from doing it. I would be inclined to make exceptions if the particular car was burning a crazy excessive amount of oil - you could get caught out if this is the case alright.

joujoujou wrote: »
    I own two. One burned 1 litre per 1000km until died. Another one burns 1.5 litre per 1000 km. Not an issue at all. :P

If them figures are on the money I think you are especially unlucky. I have a 2001 1.6 VVTI Avensis with almost 160k on it and it burns about a litre every 5-6000 miles. A 2000 1.8 MR-S with circa 125k miles and it burns a bit less than the Avensis. Having spoken to fellow VVTI Toyota owners I haven't came across anybody whose car burnt anymore than my own and a few who don't have any issue at all with their cars burning oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

;)

But I'm sure the people who have to stop the car during a journey because the oil light is on due to low pressure might differ with you there. An insidious fault that only rears its head some while after you buy the car. Probably explains while corollas get punted on again so regularly, like our green one earlier. Always check the number of previous owners!!
    The person that has to stop due to low oil pressure hasn't been looking after their car, or their car hasn't been looked after by neglecting oil changes. This will eventually cause the oil in the bottom of the sump to turn to sludge and then eventually the pickup will block which will cause low oil pressure. This was explained to you in another thread but you chose to ignore it. It will happen with any car that doesn't get it's oil changed regularly.
    Like I say, there is no such thing as the "silver bullet" car for reliability. Judge each car on its own merits based on condition and history. Most Jap appliances of that era, if they have been maintained correctly and are in good condition, will last equally as long as any other one.
    That's not exactly true. Those Nissan primeras are well know for rust problems and for giving steering issues. As they were UK built, components like distributers and alternators etc also have a habit of wearing out long before their jap counterparts. It's not just reliability that needs to be factored in but build aswel. Nissans of that era tend to get very tired after circa 100k miles.

I just think at the end of the day if keeping the car long term the Toyota is the better option.

That post you referred to was where you blamed the op for not changing oil, although he had stated clearly that he had done so. As several posters reported in the thread, this is a known issue with these cars. Blaming lack of maintenance is stupid - especially when Toyota have replaced so many engines, plus, that applies equally to any car!! You can deny it all you like, and resolutely stick with your "toyota is better than everyone else" mantra, but in the real world "all" cars have their issues and you need to do some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Moving swiftly on

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1995-peugeot-405-glx-d/11101618

Last of the line (I think) 405 diesel with test until April next, few weeks of tax too. Comfortable old buses these, and good for serious MPG. Could probably get this for 500 and you're laughing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Well I headed out to Blanch for that green Corolla. The only noticeable point is that the gearstick is a bit stiff to go in to a gear but it's not too bad at all. The seller seemed totally genuine and I was happy to give him the cash after we drove around. I'll bring it in to a mechanic for a proper look but I'm pretty satisfied. Thanks very much again to everyone here who helped out by answering questions and making recommendations, much appreciated.

That post you referred to was where you blamed the op for not changing oil, although he had stated clearly that he had done so. As several posters reported in the thread, this is a known issue with these cars. Blaming lack of maintenance is stupid - especially when Toyota have replaced so many engines, plus, that applies equally to any car!! You can deny it all you like, and resolutely stick with your "toyota is better than everyone else" mantra, but in the real world "all" cars have their issues and you need to do some research.

No I didn't blame the op and I clearly stated that in the thread(maybe you should read back before making accusations). In that thread the op clearly stated that they had changed the oil 5k ago which was fair enough. It's meaningless in the grand scheme of things though because it would take a lot more than 5k for a sludge problem to occur. It could of built up in the sump before the op even bought the car through neglect from a previous owner.

As for doing research, it's a bit rich for you to tell me to do some research when there id glaring inconsistencies in posts of you're own. Toyota didn't replace engines because of a sludge issue, they replaced the short block on vvti powered cars with excessive oil consumption. If the car was burning more than is normal then they usually replaced the short block. It had nothing to do with a sludge issue as you are trying to make out.

Also I'm not trying to say that Toyota is better than everything else. The op wants a car for a few years or more. Having owned a primera in the past and a few other Nissans I just believe that the Toyota will be easier to live with in the longer term. I'm not saying that primera is a bad car or not good bangernomics however.

Posting this as I think the mileage is amazing for one of these fiestas, esp. a 1.3 petrol!

206K, not too shabby. 16,000 since May. Just shows you what you can get out of bangernomic motors if you are careful.

50022388.jpeg

Moving swiftly on

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1995-peugeot-405-glx-d/11101618

Last of the line (I think) 405 diesel with test until April next, few weeks of tax too. Comfortable old buses these, and good for serious MPG. Could probably get this for 500 and you're laughing

I could of sworn the estate carried on until 1997, I might be wrong though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cianos wrote: »
    Well I headed out to Blanch for that green Corolla. The only noticeable point is that the gearstick is a bit stiff to go in to a gear but it's not too bad at all. The seller seemed totally genuine and I was happy to give him the cash after we drove around. I'll bring it in to a mechanic for a proper look but I'm pretty satisfied. Thanks very much again to everyone here who helped out by answering questions and making recommendations, much appreciated.

Is that the one with the AC?

• Advertisement

Nice little Punto, good colour, alloys, clean seats. Reasonable miles.

A full years test, should be your's for €800.

47675936.jpeg

Bumpers would have originally been black - hence mismatched colour, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

A poster on here had a Primera diesel with over 600k km up until last year when admittedly the diff in the gearbox let go. Supposedly a weak point in the diesel models.

So I think that more than proves these cars can stand the test of time. I'm yet to see a VVti Corolla with that kind of miles either funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

166man wrote: »
    A poster on here had a Primera diesel with over 600k km up until last year when admittedly the diff in the gearbox let go. Supposedly a weak point in the diesel models.

So I think that more than proves these cars can stand the test of time. I'm yet to see a VVti Corolla with that kind of miles either funnily enough.
    Not really a valid comparison, Avensis Mk1 would be a closer match to the P11 Primera.
    4ZZFE vs Nissan CD20T? not really comparable either.
    Like for like a P11 CD20T vs a T22 Avensis 2C-TE.
    I know what I see more of on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

166man wrote: »

Comparing the milage possibilities of a small petrol engine to a 2.0 mechanical Diesel engine from the 90's is ridiculous. A Toyota 2c Diesel engine is the direct comparison and there are example of such cars with that engine that have covered up on 1,000,000 miles with just servicing.

Asside from the oil burning issue (which didn't occur in all zz engines) they are very reliable engines which offer a great balance between fuel economy and performance for what they are.
    The engine has had a long production run also, which is usually a sign that it's pretty good no ones gonna keep producing a lemon and as always with Toyota their recall policy was top notch when it came to replacing the defective engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Peugeot 406 diesel estate for €1000. NCT 07/16 and a fortnights tax. Good, reliable cars with a serious amount of space.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-406/10744751

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Excellent test, tiny mileage and looks like its in fantastic condition. Only down side is its an Austin with big wheels. Embarrass guys away from the lights in what they think are quick cars, all in something you'll get for around a grand.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11064604

Sumptuous-nomics

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10959073

Just over budget but easily bought within

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11105239

Ad isn't great. Good deal if it's real though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What is a tdsi though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'm guessing seeing as it's advertised as a 1.6 diesel and those diesels are reffered to as TDCi and the fact that he has advertised it as TDSi, that maybe he has mistyped it based on how close S and C are on the keyboard. That or maybe with a name like Ruso, English probably isn't his first language, so maybe he's simply gotten his phonetics wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

C and S are close on the keyboard if you have fat fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

C and S are close on the keyboard if you have fat fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Sumptuous-nomics

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10959073

Just over budget but easily bought within

A good few extra's but it's a 2.0 12 year old car with 6 months test, he's about a grand overpriced if you ask me.

rizzodun wrote: »
    A good few extra's but it's a 2.0 12 year old car with 6 months test, he's about a grand overpriced if you ask me.

6-12 months ago I'd have agreed with you but the price of stuff like this (good ones) is hardening. Bit like everything of similar ilk at the moment really. Late 9-5s all going up in value. Golf GTIs on the up, early 00s 5 Series on the up, even big Jappo petrols (Camry's, Lexus GS, Honda 2.0 litre & 2.4) have halted their decline in value. You couldn't raffle an RX 12- 18 months ago. You'd get more for it now than would have 2 years ago. But interestingly bad cars have suddenly become sale proof at any price. People will now pay proper money for good cars again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

6-12 months ago I'd have agreed with you but the price of stuff like this (good ones) is hardening. Bit like everything of similar ilk at the moment really. Late 9-5s all going up in value. Golf GTIs on the up, early 00s 5 Series on the up, even big Jappo petrols (Camry's, Lexus GS, Honda 2.0 litre & 2.4) have halted their decline in value. You couldn't raffle an RX 12- 18 months ago. You'd get more for it now than would have 2 years ago. But interestingly bad cars have suddenly become sale proof at any price. People will now pay proper money for good cars again.

Maybe you're right, and I myself wouldn't be put off by a big engined car, I still think lots automatically are, it'll be interesting to see in 12 months more where they lie.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Maybe you're right, and I myself wouldn't be put off by a big engined car, I still think lots automatically are, it'll be interesting to see in 12 months more where they lie.

Such a shame that so many cars just disappeared off Irish roads over the recessionary years. People just weren't prepared to tax/insure/run them in the bad times. Confidence has returned and the lack of good quality, what some might call barges, is very apparent. They all got scrapped or exported.

If people haven't bought something already then its probably theor last chance to buy something good at a reasonable price. And its a good short and long term investment. 2 grand today on a mid 00s luxobarge is money returned, possibly with profit, in 12- 18 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Long Time Lurker I think you are a very good contributor but with all due respect you often seem to have this misplaced conception that you will automatically get a car for well under its asking price that doesn't make sense to me. If you had said that maybe the car could be bought for under €2k I wouldn't have said anything but presuming you don't know anything further about the cars or the owners etc apart from the detail provided in the ads and draw such automatic and definite conclusions its a bit beyond me to be honest.

2002 Passat 1.9 TDI
    Tested until 05/16 and €300 worth of tax were told.
    Highish miles and would seem a bit rough and ready but hey you didn't think you'd be getting a low mileage minter for €1,000
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-sal-1-9-tdi/10742542

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Comparing the milage possibilities of a small petrol engine to a 2.0 mechanical Diesel engine from the 90's is ridiculous. A Toyota 2c Diesel engine is the direct comparison and there are example of such cars with that engine that have covered up on 1,000,000 miles with just servicing.

Asside from the oil burning issue (which didn't occur in all zz engines) they are very reliable engines which offer a great balance between fuel economy and performance for what they are.
    The engine has had a long production run also, which is usually a sign that it's pretty good no ones gonna keep producing a lemon and as always with Toyota their recall policy was top notch when it came to replacing the defective engines.

Just to clarify this, where did I just mention the engine as a mode of comparison? A car making it to that miles proves that as an entire package the car was a solid one. It had some rust admittedly but even still, was structurally sound and kept passing NCT's. A more open minded approach might be needed next time.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not really a valid comparison, Avensis Mk1 would be a closer match to the P11 Primera.
    4ZZFE vs Nissan CD20T? not really comparable either.
    Like for like a P11 CD20T vs a T22 Avensis 2C-TE.
    I know what I see more of on the roads

As above. I wasn't strictly speaking about the engine. The car as a whole outlived many other cars of its time.

I'll leave it there folks! :D

Long Time Lurker I think you are a very good contributor but with all due respect you often seem to have this misplaced conception that you will automatically get a car for well under its asking price that doesn't make sense to me. If you had said that maybe the car could be bought for under €2k I wouldn't have said anything but presuming you don't know anything further about the cars or the owners etc apart from the detail provided in the ads and draw such automatic and definite conclusions its a bit beyond me to be honest.

I genuinely don't know how to respond to that! Is that a criticism of my approach, a disbelief of my accounts or just an anger at your own inhibitions which has restricted your ability to haggle thus pay more for stuff!

Ok so I do this for a living, I've got an inside line. And I'm bolshie which can annoy people. But I'm not coming in here to boast about my conquests. Au contraire, I think people should be as much like me in their approach to buying, especially given the forum that we're in here, which is to grab as big of a bargain as possible. I haggle for everything. Just my way. But let me tell you it works.

But to go back to the start. If that "doesn't make sense" to you then what can I do. Start a thread about how you want to pay more for stuff I suppose. Keep sentiment at the door though. Personality clash aint gonna get anyone cheaper cars round here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Who'd have thought a simple request to choose some cars would cause such a debate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement