Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

GvidoR wrote: »
    True, but then again insurance in New Zealand is not mandatory + it's cheap if you want it. There's probably no road tax either.

Not mandatory? How does that work in the event of an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

You pay out of your pocket if you're at fault and not insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No lump sum payouts by the courts, its handled through the Accident compensation corporation which is a State body.
    There is tax but its called Registration not road tax.

• Advertisement

So I sold the Sunny.

I'm gutted, that Corolla liftie in Wexford is gone! So I'm looking for a pre-facelift non-vvti Corolla 1.3 in Dublin or surrounding counties if anyone can point me in the direction of something. I might consider something similar and Jap but I dunno what'll be better than a Corolla

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Would you consider a 3dr or saloon?

vvti is still a very very good engine, I wouldn't be put off by one at all and there's plenty of spec in the vvti's too. The whole soft engine oil burning thing is well over hyped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

So I sold the Sunny.

I'm gutted, that Corolla liftie in Wexford is gone! So I'm looking for a pre-facelift non-vvti Corolla 1.3 in Dublin or surrounding counties if anyone can point me in the direction of something. I might consider something similar and Jap but I dunno what'll be better than a Corolla

Something like this ...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9687771

Preference goes to an estate or five door hatchback for practicality but a saloon or three door hatch would be grand too. I'd certainly drive a VVTi if the right one came up but I think at this end of the market most tend to be pretty rough and I do prefer the look of the pre facelift cars.

There seems to be nothing on Donedeal at all though. I'd love this but I doubt I have enough. By the way Toyotafanboi the Sunny has gone off to live out its life with your old Corsa :P

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11136441

That's your car Duke. Reckon you'd easy haggle it down to €700 with those saucey dents.

Looks clean otherwise and lots of tax and test.

That's your car Duke. Reckon you'd easy haggle it down to €700 with those saucey dents.

There is a similar one (in similar nick) up in Dublin for 700 too. Might give both a call tomorrow

I'm really liking this though! A bit pricey though

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/corolla/1996-toyota-corolla/8544180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Japanese built as well, not the UK built E11

Patww79 wrote: »
    Not exactly good feedback either...

Patww79 wrote: »

They're remind me of photos my dad would take.

I get the feeling the seller just isn't very good with a camera. I tend to pay very little heed to any ad and make my own decision standing in front of the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,375 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

GvidoR wrote: »
    You pay out of your pocket if you're at fault and not insured.

No you don't! A third party claim could cost millions!

CJhaughey has it spot on. You do pay registration charge and there is a tax on fuel that feed a fund that pays anyone making a claim (for personal injury, not for damage of the car)

You were half right though, if you cause damage to your own car or someone elses, you have to pay it out of your pocket

unkel wrote: »
    No you don't! A third party claim could cost millions!

CJhaughey has it spot on. You do pay registration charge and there is a tax on fuel that feed a fund that pays anyone making a claim (for personal injury, not for damage of the car)

You were half right though, if you cause damage to your own car or someone elses, you have to pay it out of your pocket
    Thing is there is no gravy train of money, you get whiplash, you get a couple of weeks off work @80% of your weekly pay and your rehab paid for.
    Injury more permanent? they will pay you a weekly stipend while you are unable to work, Not 14k cash to spend as you see fit.

Same in most countries thankfully, not the claims culture we have over here :(

Anyone remember the driver of a massive Transit van got hit from behind by a Fiesta, doing 3mph on impact. He got £30k for whiplash :rolleyes:

That e10 looks clean, but i'd struggle to pay €600, never mind €1200 for it.

• Advertisement

Yep, he refused 550 but I think there is a lot to be said for actually going to view a car and waving cash in his face. I wonder if he'd take a Cube for it though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

There's a few lads here about to wet themselves when they see this :-)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11189415

Where is the rev counter? Never seen an instrumentation set up like that on one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Japanese built as well, not the UK built E11
    Vast majority of E11s were still built in Japan. :p

==============

@Duke, I'd rather go blue wagon. If my eyes did not deceive me, it needs a wing and a panel between a grille and bumper. Both very easily replaceable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

WTF is all the love for the pre-historic toyotas ?
    I could think of few places i would rather not sit than in front of one of those corollas.
    Seriously - they are awful.

Anyway - its just my opinion and before you all say that they are the most reliable cars ever built blah blah....
    For a grand or so you can get far more interesting cars - imo of course.
    For a couple of hundred I can see the benefits - but the white one should be in the dreamers threat @ €1250.

/rant.

cadaliac wrote: »
    I could think of few places i would rather not sit than in front of one of those corollas.

Anyway - its just my opinion and before you all say that they are the most reliable cars ever built blah blah....
    For a couple of hundred I can see the benefits - but the white one should be in the dreamers threat @ €1250.

/rant.

Couldn't agree more. Now in fairness they are nailed on bangernomics royalty but they're also about as desirable as week in in a Russian Gulag and probably as well adorned inside. They're some aul motors though. Not for me all the same.

Well, I struggle to find a car more reliable and frugal in respect to tax, insurance, maintenance and fuel consumption. From my own experience of course.

And I like them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

/rant.

They do all the basics very well, they are exteamly well built, economical and easy to work on & maintain. They are not nearly as bad to sit in as you say either, certainly no worse than most cars in their class and while they may not be the most exciting, they are pleasant to drive.

Their pros far outweigh their cons and the pros are what most people look for in a car which is why they are so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

^^ Amen to that. ^^ :D

• Advertisement

/rant.

They are the most reliable cheap car ever built :pac:

If you only have a budget of a hundred or so per month (plus fuel spend), almost all of it goes up on depreciation, tax and insurance and thus there is almost no money left for any repair / bills

In that case you really shouldn't buy anything but a 1.3 Toyota and you shouldn't complain it's a very basic A-B car (or that you find it awful)

If you have a bit more than a hundred per month you're willing to spend, there are far more interesting cars! Go for them you big spender :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement