Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interesting car. I have had a bit of a horn about the LS Lexus for a very long time now (we're talking late 80s here)

50675416.jpeg

Not sure how good it is, and I'm far from an expert on them. What say ye?

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

unkel wrote: »
    I'm no fan of that sticky white sauce from all over your pic ;)

Just remember, don't ever EVER drink and keyboard. Could you live with the shame.

Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Have we seen this before??

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-1-8t-avant/10946809

This is close to me and would be great if I could get it for around 1k.

http://touch.adverts.ie/car/honda/accord/2005-honda-accord-for-sale/9517076

A serious bit of haggling required, but it is adverts after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

80s Child wrote: »
    Have we seen this before??

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-1-8t-avant/10946809

This is close to me and would be great if I could get it for around 1k.

Its got no test 80's child so shouldn't be put into the bangernomics section. Value of the particular car aside if I was advertising a car for €1,650 I wouldn't be prepared to accept €1,000 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Was this the Saab posted a few days ago for 1500 euros?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/saab/93/saab-93-areo-estate-sports-wagon/9584285

Its got no test 80's child so shouldn't be put into the bangernomics section. Value of the particular car aside if I was advertising a car for €1,650 I wouldn't be prepared to accept €1,000 for it.

Missed that. It's amazing how one sees what they want to see; in my case I really liked the look of it so I forgot about the NCT! !

On the price, just from following adverts for a few days, prices there seem to be totally irrelevant , with numerous cars going for 500 less than asking and some close to the grand. That's why I posted the Accord also; he wants rid, it has 150 miles on it and you just might be able to get it for 2k!

In saying all of this, adverts seems mental with regards to pricing. People don't seem to take any real notice of the asking price and merely offer an amount they feel is adequate, or probably in many cases just chancing their arm! There seems to be a feel users who make offers on numerous cars well below asking, in the hope that one will bite and they'll get a 'bargain'. Frustrating for the seller, but an interesting viewpoint nonetheless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Was this the Saab posted a few days ago for 1500 euros?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/saab/93/saab-93-areo-estate-sports-wagon/9584285

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

80s Child wrote: »
    On the price, just from following adverts for a few days, prices there seem to be totally irrelevant , with numerous cars going for 500 less than asking and some close to the grand. That's why I posted the Accord also; he wants rid, it has 150 miles on it and you just might be able to get it for 2k!

In saying all of this, adverts seems mental with regards to pricing. People don't seem to take any real notice of the asking price and merely offer an amount they feel is adequate, or probably in many cases just chancing their arm! There seems to be a feel users who make offers on numerous cars well below asking, in the hope that one will bite and they'll get a 'bargain'. Frustrating for the seller, but an interesting viewpoint nonetheless...

I would think not to pay too much attention to adverts 80's child. I get the impression that there are far too many toss pots on it with nothing much better to do with their time, present company excluded. If you notice anyway these extreme low ball offers would ususlly have the seller replying something along the lines of...."yeah will take that much for the boot lid" or no reply at all.

Even the people on this forum who post cars and proclaim that they could easily get the car for closer to half the asking price...I'd love to see them doing that in reality as think that would prove something different. No doubt it happens but I would say as the very odd exception rather than the rule. Anyways rant over!

Anyway not sure exactly your criteria but thought this Passat might interest you.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-tdi-passat-ncted-and-taxed/11112776

1.9 TDI 2002;
    150k kilometres;
    Tested Aug 2016;
    new battery
    needs a new tyre and window regulator were told. Would be had and on the road with a good dollop of change from €1,500 when them two problems are rectified I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-mercedes-e270-auto-new-nct-1-owner/11205582

Merc E270 diesel, one owner with test until March 17 for under a grand. Would be hard to stomach the tax but someone might..

Add a couple of quid to buff those lamps (or replace if they've been done before)
    You'll get no light the way they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/94-toyota-corolla-automatic-nct-until-august-2016/11245605

94 Corolla auto with NCT until August (and tax until the end of the month) for 300 quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Even the people on this forum who post cars and proclaim that they could easily get the car for closer to half the asking price...I'd love to see them doing that in reality as think that would prove something different. No doubt it happens but I would say as the very odd exception rather than the rule.

Its not the exception for those willing to chance their arm. The only thing hindering a person from making a low bid is that persons fear itself. It always amazes me that most people are all too quick to proclaim that such level of discount can't be had. It can. I do it all the time. People should stop discouraging others from attempting to get as big of a bargain as possible. Try it some time. It might just amaze you what you'll get away with. Stop putting an imaginary wall in front of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/94-toyota-corolla-automatic-nct-until-august-2016/11245605

94 Corolla auto with NCT until August (and tax until the end of the month) for 300 quid!

Gearbox isn't in good shape it seems

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Gearbox isn't in good shape it seems

That wasn't there earlier.

Shame. Even finding a box would probably be difficult

Its not the exception for those willing to chance their arm. The only thing hindering a person from making a low bid is that persons fear itself. It always amazes me that most people are all too quick to proclaim that such level of discount can't be had. It can. I do it all the time. People should stop discouraging others from attempting to get as big of a bargain as possible. Try it some time. It might just amaze you what you'll get away with. Stop putting an imaginary wall in front of yourself.

I agree. but.

There are plenty people out there, and if they were willing to drop by half, and you insult them with a very low offer. They clam up and decide they don't want to sell to you for any money. I'd be thick like that, as would plenty others!

ligertigon wrote: »
    I agree. but.

There are plenty people out there, and if they were willing to drop by half, and you insult them with a very low offer. They clam up and decide they don't want to sell to you for any money. I'd be thick like that, as would plenty others!

Absolutely but it doesn't really matter. If it can't be bought for the price you want it for then it makes no difference if the seller won't sell it to you.

• Advertisement

Well..

To me, the kind of offer I make depends on the kind of person selling the car. You tend to know from a phone call whether or not they're know cars, and if they do they're going to be more stubborn and chances of getting a 50% discount is pretty much not there. To someone who doesn't know cars selling can be a bit of a chore, and I'd always hit them with "i'll take it as seen, no comeback and will issue a receipt" etc etc etc. These kind of people tend to want to sell the car as soon as, and will jump at an offer

My own 2c anyway

Absolutely but it doesn't really matter. If it can't be bought for the price you want it for then it makes no difference if the seller won't sell it to you.

Seller: I want a thousand(i'll be happy with 500)
    Buyer: i give you 300
    Seller: no (you upset me now)
    buyer: ok I give you 700
    Seller: not for sale anymore

THIS happens A LOT! Its almost like a dignity comeback

You see there is putting in a low ball offer and then there is offering half the asking price Long Time Lurker which I consider to be quite different. I have put in offers of close to half the asking price in the past when I was younger which most likely results in the seller laughing. If the seller accepts an offer close to half the asking price its most likely the case he has totally over-valued the car anyway and knows it and even if this is the case he is still most likely not to accept in anticipation of getting closer to asking...logical thing for him to do here would be to drop the asking price.

Just look at adverts.ie where you see people putting in these offers of around half the asking price or sometimes less. Quite often they don't even get a response and if they do its most likely a sarcastic one. Anyway why the hell would anyone advertise a car at €1,500 if they were willing to accept €750 unless they were a bit thick.

I would put in low ball offers anytime Im buying a car ans usually its a good starting point...

I'd agree with Duke's comment also, what you can and can get away with will depend very much on the person you are dealing with and a phone call will often be a good indicator. To make assumptions on getting the car for ridiculously less than the asking price in advance of this is to me a bit silly.

I'd agree with Duke's comment also, what you can and can get away with will depend very much on the person you are dealing with and a phone call will often be a good indicator. To make assumptions on getting the car for ridiculously less than the asking price in advance of this is to me a bit silly.

Maybe I'm just a bit More convincing or manipulative. I don't know! I am a chancer by nature and I'll freely admit that. I managed to haggle 35 quid of our power shower in the bathroom supply store. I just enjoy haggling. Anyway, before they start giving out to us, more cars ....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cheap-toyota-yaris-ncted-and-taxed/11247139

Here we are, 99 Yaris with 5 months test and 3 months tax for 700

^^Its clearly 177k miles as opposed to 177k km which the seller input. It would seem that almost every second person out there advertising their car are making this error. Also he's paying a tad over the odds for his motor tax at €300. Either way nice spot Duke, hardly many tested Yaris out there for under a grand.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/a4-1-8-turbo-red-drives-well-new-nct-till-10-16/10417094
    I like this.
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T;
    209k km;
    Tested 10/16.
    Asking €1,800.

To be honest the fact that he put up a pic of the speedo with the mileage would lead me to believe he isn't trying to hide anything. I know with the app on donedeal when you in put the mileage it automatically puts it down as km. People often don't change it

To be honest the fact that he put up a pic of the speedo with the mileage would lead me to believe he isn't trying to hide anything.

I was guessing it was a genuine error alright for the same reason!

I know with the app on donedeal when you in put the mileage it automatically puts it down as km. People often don't change it

Ah that would def explain a lot of the errors being madesmile.png

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement