Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Update on the Accord, sold it for 400, he had a mechanic look at it, and bought it, he was struggling with the tiptronic box and the mechanic told him keep it in D4.....well I get a call saying its struggling to get over 3 revs, its chugging and the engine light is on, I'm fuming it was running perfect, he said he'll call back and let me know the issue, should I refund or tell him he obviously done something himself? He has 2 young kids so would hate to think it may have been fecked already( though I never had a issue like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You mustn't be a very good haggler, you had it up for a grand :P if it played up on the test drive and the still bought it, i'd tell them to get lost... actually i'd probably tell them to get lost either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

You have to be hard dude, it's not your problem. If the buck stops with anyone, it's the mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Update on the Accord, sold it for 400, he had a mechanic look at it, and bought it, he was struggling with the tiptronic box and the mechanic told him keep it in D4.....well I get a call saying its struggling to get over 3 revs, its chugging and the engine light is on, I'm fuming it was running perfect, he said he'll call back and let me know the issue, should I refund or tell him he obviously done something himself? He has 2 young kids so would hate to think it may have been fecked already( though I never had a issue like that).

Two words: Caveat emptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

bear1 wrote: »
    Two words: Caveat emptor.

This yeah, but i'd feel bad if something like that happened just after selling a car.

But after having a mechanic look at it and give the go ahead, tell him to take it up with him..

This yeah, but i'd feel bad if something like that happened just after selling a car.

But after having a mechanic look at it and give the go ahead, tell him to take it up with him..

If it was running perfectly and then all of a sudden something happened then id feel bad still say tough luck.
    You cant predict what will go wrong in any given minute with a car.. Especially one that cost 400e...

Yeh I dropped it to 500 to get rid so 400 was ok with me, hoping the mechanic says its a easy fix as I dont really want it back now after he possibly ruined it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Hopefully he doesnt call back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I would wager you would struggle to find a more robust and reliable small hatchback for the money Unkel

This is the thing. I'm the first to say a 15 year old Starlet with a long NCT is going to be a good buy for someone - a very reliable car (probably one of the most reliable cars ever) for reasonable money (1k).

Finding a decent very basic small A-B car for reasonable money is not my aim at all though in this thread (although it seems to be the holy grail for a lot of people in here :p)

I'd like to think I would get a lot more car for the money. Family car / 4WD / convertible / coupe / big auto prestige saloon / SUV / MPV, the list is endless.

As an aside, I'm thinking of putting my bangernomics MGF on the market, what bangernomics car would I go for next? Any suggestions welcome!

Volvo s60.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks bear1, but I'd want something more interesting. The main family car is still the E60 BMW 520iA 6 cylinder petrol. Don't want to move this off thread either though, maybe I should start a new thread. Not going to give up the MGF until May anyway. Maybe I should just shut up about it for another few months :p

unkel wrote: »
    I'd like to think I would get a lot more car for the money. Family car / 4WD / convertible / coupe / big auto prestige saloon / SUV / MPV, the list is endless.

I think you're missing the point though. For someone looking for a small, robust reliable hatchback it is one of the best options out there. Its one thing buying a big executive saloon for a grand but running and maintaining it is another story.

Not everyone is in a position to do it and look for cars like this Starlet. Sure you could buy cheaper one, and a Starlet for 500 quid is a bargain, because you should have seen the "mint" (:rolleyes:) one I was looking at for 400 a few weeks ago.

You could probably get a hundred or two off if you're lucky, and what is another couple of hundred if you have it, for a presentable 60k mile Starlet over one with 200k.

Also, regarding another bangernomics car

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-panda-classic-750l/11408922

Please, before I do.

(hes willing to go 325 on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Please, before I do.

The bodywork is full of the tin worm though.

I don't think I'd say full of it

That arch, if you had half a notion could be sorted in an evening, or for a bit more you could give it to a bodyshop to sort for not a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Please, before I do.

I had the same one :( I do miss it.

for any potential buyers, if you see one bit of rust, you can guarantee there is a lot more. Check under pedals, under front carpets, check corners of the doors, check wheel arches,
    Things that will drive you crazy. ITs fcukin slow. on a par with the old honda 50. I came from a V8:pac: No power steering. no ac, road noise... good luck having a conversation over 50mph. NOt one bit comfortable especially if your over 6ft. If you spend a few hours driving your going to feel it in the back, when you get out.
    Various cables will come loose at some stage so be prepared to get dirty, and always have a toolkit in the back

Good points, driving around corners at top speed is mental fun. Passing out bmw/merc/audi and skanger cars is brilliant as they realised they are been passed out by fookin panda.
    It goes anywhere. Up mountains, into bogs, it might get stuck but getting out is fairly straight forward:D if there is a couple of ye.
    People are going to stop and stare and laugh. and when it running good, it will put a smile on your face.
    Its easy to work on, I know cos i did, so if i can do it, any competent diyr can.

And when you sell, your going to miss it every single fookin day. Especially the fact it can go places the majority of cars cant:D

I'm quite interested to tell the truth but I've just started using my Fiat Tipo so it would mean one car would just sit in the shed which I', trying to cut out

I had a Lancia Y10 in daily use a few months ago, related to the Panda but 5 speed and a bit more refined. The bottom of the passenger door started rusting through the Winter which was a great shame because bar that it was totally solid. A fantastic car to drive though, just like you describe the Panda, not much use on motorways but regularly made North Dublin to south Wexford.

I'm interested in auto testing and the Tipo isn't really ideal for that as its a bit big, this would be perfect, but having a daily driver that I can take to events at weekends makes more sense than having a dedicated car that has to be trailered around, so this Panda is really sounding good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

i had pics of a lovely y10 that was lying up not far from me, but I lost the pics. same sh1te material used in both cars. ITalian steel was not properly heat treated at the time. so once rust sets in.... Check everywhere including window wiper. rust gathers at the mounting, also under the window rubbers, oh and around the fuel cap. And also underneath around fuel tank area at the suspension.

basically EVERYWHERE lol.
    IF you go through with it you wont regret it. BArr the times you have to pass out slow traffic, and when you have to connect the fuel line once again cos the smell of petrol coming in at 50 mph is mank. Or the spark plug cable decides to detach for no reason, or the choke doesnt want to pull out, or the starter motor needs a whack with a spare spanner that you have in the back for this very reason.

but youll love it, and miss it and pound for pound is my fav car ive ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Good value low mileage bora with test to november, doesnt mention tax though...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-bora/11178134

Buyer left good feedback, gonna assume all is ok.....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Please, before I do.

That's my car. Didn't know I was willing to go 325 on it :confused::P
    Rust issues i've seen a lot worse, underneath is solid, worst spots are shown in photo's and the drivers door was repaired badly at some stage (the worst areas to rust in panda's)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

tuborg_man wrote: »
    Rust issues i've seen a lot worse, underneath is solid, worst spots are shown in photo's and the drivers door was repaired badly at some stage (the worst areas to rust in panda's)

Deadly. Sorry bout that I just seen on the adverts ad the offer of 325 but 250 in the comment below and put 2 and 2 together

my y10 was the exact same, door bottoms, I got rid of it soon after as it had previously been restored and I didn't have a garage at the time so the last thing I wanted was for the car to get any worse

Deadly. Sorry bout that I just seen on the adverts ad the offer of 325 but 250 in the comment below and put 2 and 2 together

my y10 was the exact same, door bottoms, I got rid of it soon after as it had previously been restored and I didn't have a garage at the time so the last thing I wanted was for the car to get any worse

Ye same reason as myself,nearly bought a fila y10 a while ago, regret it, i'll be back in a panda when ii get garages sorted in future but fancy a 4x4
    i'll be losing the use of my fathers garage and it makes sense to get rid of it,
    for people saying it's slow, i find it ectremly nippy(not fast obviously) but a great revvy engine that keeps up with traffic. 70 mph can be noisy alright.

Ye same reason as myself,nearly bought a fila y10 a while ago, regret it, i'll be back in a panda when ii get garages sorted in future but fancy a 4x4
    i'll be losing the use of my fathers garage and it makes sense to get rid of it,
    for people saying it's slow, i find it ectremly nippy(not fast obviously) but a great revvy engine that keeps up with traffic. 70 mph can be noisy alright.

You were probably going to buy my y10 then, in Wexford? :P

It's very much the same as the panda, not fast but nippy, that extra gear made a difference though. I used to make Malahide to Rosslare weekly, but it paid to stop and stretch the legs along the way

You were probably going to buy my y10 then, in Wexford? :P

It's very much the same as the panda, not fast but nippy, that extra gear made a difference though. I used to make Malahide to Rosslare weekly, but it paid to stop and stretch the legs along the way

Haha, prob was, can't remember off hand where it was based, as with so many plans, storage scuppered that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If you weren't so far up the country id be very interested in that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement