Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

Makes a change from ropey Saabs imo :)

No such thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

No such thing

Ah most of them are in fairness.

Comfortable cars, but most posted in here cone with a string of get out of jail clauses; be a good purchase "if it's had a sump drop", "if that check engine light isn't too serious", "if you can verify that mileage with a service history" etc etc.

You never see anything like that posted after a Starlet or Corolla, they are rock solid cars.

9-3's and 9-5's while comfortable and well spec'd are risky propositions when bought at bangernomics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But the Saab's are beautiful!
    I'm torn between a 93 or a Superb right now :(
    Both 1.9 td but one looks like a bus and the other doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Ah most of them are in fairness.

Comfortable cars, but most posted in here cone with a string of get out of jail clauses; be a good purchase "if it's had a sump drop", "if that check engine light isn't too serious", "if you can verify that mileage with a service history" etc etc.

You never see anything like that posted after a Starlet or Corolla, they are rock solid cars.

9-3's and 9-5's while comfortable and well spec'd are risky propositions when bought at bangernomics.

I just bought a 2003 93 for a monkey. The balance shaft tensioner guide is breaking in all these saabs from early 2003, about to mine on thursday..... Can't beat the corollas and starlets for reliability, but they are dull as dishwater to be in

And Toyota cars of that age are tiny, in cabin size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bangernomics is about running a car you buy for small money till it breaks or needs serious money invested.
    While fast comfortable and luxurious to be in compared to Toyotas of a similar age and price Saabs are a poor bangernomics prospect in terms of longevity.
    Toyota and Japanese cars generally give far more return in terms of cheap running at possible expense of not appearing as flash as a Saab.
    Its all in what you value, if you want a flash car that is fast and comfortable then get a Saab. If you want a reliable dullish car that will start and give a lot less possibility for problems buy a Toyota or similar.
    I have recently moved out of Bangernomics, ran a 99 Avensis TD for 100k miles and 3 years with just the normal replacements of a car of its mileage wearable parts etc.
    I am going to advertise it this week hopefully it will give the next owner a lot more miles or a load of good parts for their Avensis.

At just over 6 foot, I can not even sit in a 01 avensis if it has a sun roof, without tilting my head. They are cramped and uncomfortable cars at the best of times. At that price bracket the long term life of the car becomes less of a consideration

Otherwise we would all just be looking at 1.3 paddy spec corolla and 1l starlets.
    My idea of bangernomics is a specced car which I could not afford new that will do me for a year or two in comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At just over 6 foot, I can not even sit in a 01 avensis if it has a sun roof, without tilting my head. They are cramped and uncomfortable cars at the best of times. At that price bracket the long term life of the car becomes less of a consideration

Open the sunroof and bring an umbrella :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ligertigon wrote: »
    I just bought a 2003 93 for a monkey. The balance shaft tensioner guide is breaking in all these saabs from early 2003, about to mine on thursday..... Can't beat the corollas and starlets for reliability, but they are dull as dishwater to be in

They aren't that bad to be in tbh. They might be a little dull but not really any more dull than the equivalent cars in the same class from the the likes of ford or vw, yet the British press would lead you to believe otherwise. They just seem to have a bias against jap cars no matter how good they are.

The likes of a corolla or a starlet from the late 90's/early 00's (whilst not anything exciting) actually have pleasant interiors with little to no scratchy plastics in sight. A Saab will obviously have a nicer interior but a Saab is meant to be more upmarket in this area so you'd expect it to be.

Everyone has a different idea of bangernomics. Some like big luxurious cars and don't mind paying the running costs as long as the purchase price is low. Others, like me, prefer smaller no fuss a-b cars that also have a low purchase price and don't cost much to run or maintain and provide hassle free motoring. Toyota imo is one of the best for this kind of bangernomics, they just do most thing very well.

• Advertisement

This hrv looks very clean with what appears to be unmarked bodywork and a very clean interior. There's a good bit of tax on it too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1998-honda-hr-v-1-6-1-lady-owner-from-new/11418635

51577963.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭NN1

Never understood the hrv, why only 2 doors?

flazio wrote: »
    Open the sunroof and bring an umbrella :p

6 ft is not even tall and to be cramped in their large saloon is criminal

NN1 wrote: »
    Never understood the hrv, why only 2 doors?

There is a 4 door variant too.

6 ft is not even tall and to be cramped in their large saloon is criminal

I think you are exaggerating a bit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Im 6'3 and never had that issue with a toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

My 98 Corolla estate used to take four (incl a friend who is 6 foot odd) regularly to and from Rosslare in relative comfort from north Dublin. It didn't have a sunroof and the estate back certainly made things in the back feel a lot more spacious but I would imagine an Avensis would feel pretty spacious

My Tipo though is fantastic for cabin space and especially in the back. Its crazy

Im 6'3 and never had that issue with a toyota.

6'1 myself. Owned an ep80 and ep90 Starlets, e10, e11 and e12 Corollas, Mk1 Yaris and a Mk1 Avensis. Never had headroom issues.

The Celica is a bit cozy, but I didn't buy coupe expecting headroom.

No I'm not. The cill of the sunroof is stupidly positioned in the mark 1 avensis.

Cabin space vs the a6 or passat of the day is no contest either

In fairness I prefer my seat completely straight also so any bit of tilt would negate my issue but still

No I'm not. The cill of the sunroof is stupidly positioned in the mark 1 avensis.

Cabin space vs the a6 or passat of the day is no contest either

The a6 is a bigger car and the Passat usually never came with a sunroof. I don't really get your argument tbh. I know a few tall people who bought these new and still have them to this day 15-16 years on. Surely if they were that cramped they'd of got rid of them years ago. The only place you are likely to catch your head in an avensis is in the rear with the sloping roof.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The a6 is a bigger car and the Passat usually never came with a sunroof. I don't really get your argument tbh. I know a few tall people who bought these new and still have them to this day 15-16 years on. Surely if they were that cramped they'd of got rid of them years ago. The only place you are likely to catch your head in an avensis is in the rear with the sloping roof.

Yes it is and that makes it a better bangernomics for me (VW of that era troubles aside). Don't get that bangernomics should only be about frugal reliability. Some of the best cars on here have been alphas, barstool mechs hates.

Yes it is and that makes it a better bangernomics for me (VW of that era troubles aside). Don't get that bangernomics should only be about frugal reliability. Some of the best cars on here have been alphas, barstool mechs hates.

Nobody said it should be about frugal reliability. It's up to you what you want from a bangernomics car. For me frugal reliability is a must(which rules Alfas out) for others it might not be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It seems that there appears trends where certain cars are reported often, like when Starlets or Corollas are posted, other times you see a selection of German marques pop up, like this
    2001 Mercedes 200, lpg conversion, with 10 months tax and 6 months of test, €1200
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-lpg-10-months-tax/11434751

Nobody said it should be about frugal reliability. It's up to you what you want from a bangernomics car. For me frugal reliability is a must(which rules Alfas out) for others it might not be.

Ahem...
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Bangernomics is about running a car you buy for small money till it breaks or needs serious money invested.
    While fast comfortable and luxurious to be in compared to Toyotas of a similar age and price Saabs are a poor bangernomics prospect in terms of longevity.
    Toyota and Japanese cars generally give far more return in terms of cheap running at possible expense of not appearing as flash as a Saab.
    Its all in what you value, if you want a flash car that is fast and comfortable then get a Saab. If you want a reliable dullish car that will start and give a lot less possibility for problems buy a Toyota or similar.
    I have recently moved out of Bangernomics, ran a 99 Avensis TD for 100k miles and 3 years with just the normal replacements of a car of its mileage wearable parts etc.
    I am going to advertise it this week hopefully it will give the next owner a lot more miles or a load of good parts for their Avensis.

OK the sys admins need to sort out this double post lark. It's all over the site since the DDoS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

OK the sys admins need to sort out this double post lark. It's all over the site since the DDoS

If you hit "Quote", rather than "quick reply" it should only post the once....

*waits for this to post twice*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

This hrv looks very clean with what appears to be unmarked bodywork and a very clean interior. There's a good bit of tax on it too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1998-honda-hr-v-1-6-1-lady-owner-from-new/11418635

51577963.jpeg

Now THAT'S a fine motor for the money.

Now THAT'S a fine motor for the money.

My thoughts exactly. It looks to be in remarkable condition for an 18 year old car. It was obviously well looked after over the years. It's in a lot better condition than many newer cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At 18 though, she's probably well able to take a drink.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    At 18 though, she's probably well able to take a drink.

The 1.6 d series is not all that thirsty thankfully. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement