Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/civic-new-shape-full-year-nct/11574311

52372843.jpeg

More hits than the Beetles, as they say, but 12 months test and tax until May for 500 quid.

It's got it's fair share of scratches but I think that might be a decent car if you can look past the cosmetics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's got it's fair share of scratches but I think that might be a decent car if you can look past the cosmetics :)

Not as good a car as the previous model in my humble opinion but it will be better rust protected and you really can't go wrong for the money. I've seen them go for a small bit less with no test or tax

Not as good a car as the previous model in my humble opinion but it will be better rust protected and you really can't go wrong for the money. I've seen them go for a small bit less with no test or tax

The older model was nicer for sure, probably the nicest civic imo. The newer model was still a decent car though and was still very reliable, more modern and safer. As you say they also don't suffer from the dreaded rust, a problem the older model is now prone to, especially on the arches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭W123-80's

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-9-tdi-comfortline/11579580

52400077.jpeg

Yes its €2k but its a respectable looking diesel car with lots of test and a nice bit of tax. Seems well minded too

Tax worth €200 odd.
    If that car can be bought for say €1700ish its not a bad buy.
    Relatively low mile diesel VW that appears to be genuine.
    Rough ones would prob still make close on €1,000.
    Good car for somebody I say.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Tax worth €200 odd.
    If that car can be bought for say €1700ish its not a bad buy.
    Relatively low mile diesel VW that appears to be genuine.
    Rough ones would prob still make close on €1,000.
    Good car for somebody I say.

There are a huge amount of rough ones about...and for more than €2k too!
    You would be hard pushed to find a 02 with Rs6 wheels and cheap coilovers and HIDs for €2k

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-xantia-1-9-diesel-nct-amp-tax-1-ownerf-s-h/11580943

52408501.jpeg

And if the Golf isn't your thing...one owner 93 Xantia turbo diesel, 98k miles with full service history and 28 service stamps(!). Taxed until March and tested until November. Very very comfortable and capable car here, should go on for decades more too

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I like the Xantia, but asking €1,650?

unkel wrote: »
    I like the Xantia, but asking €1,650?

Especially when there's a more modern, safer and imo nicer vw golf posted above it for not much more.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Some would like the modern(er) Golf and some the Xantia. The Golf, unless I'm missing something, only trumps the Xantia in terms of safety with two air bags. It still has back brake drums afaik.

I would say as well unkel you would struggle to find a clean and low mileage diesel car with one owner and tangible service history for the same money. Newer or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It still has back brake drums afaik.

Nope. All Mkiv's have disc brakes all round. A lot of Tdi Mkiii's even had disc brakes.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Nope. All Mkiv's have disc brakes all round. A lot of Tdi Mkiii's even had disc brakes.

Thats me schooled then thanks.

I could understand then why brake discs and air bags would appeal to a few in terms of safety over a Xantia with neither (bar front brake discs)

I had a 93 405 turbo diesel and it was one of the nicest driving cars I ever had though. An absolutely cracking car. I'd say that Xantia would be the same

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Some would like the modern(er) Golf and some the Xantia. The Golf, unless I'm missing something, only trumps the Xantia in terms of safety with two air bags. It still has back brake drums afaik.

I would say as well unkel you would struggle to find a clean and low mileage diesel car with one owner and tangible service history for the same money. Newer or otherwise

It's not just airbags. The Golf has a good euro ncap rating for it's time. The xantia has very poor safety and folds easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

51925994.jpeg

Fresh NCT only done on 5/2/16 till March 2017. €850 ono

clicky...

Looks well... Cheap as it gets motoring.

52405351.jpeg

52405348.jpeg

NCT'd - 01/17
    Taxed for another month - 02/16

Cheap stepping stone into felt !!

clicky....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agreed, and like I said, I like the Xantia and I appreciate the one owner, service history etc. Would drive it myself. Problem is, it's not good enough to appeal to a Citroen fan for safekeeping forever and there are literally thousands of cars that are more appealing to most people for similar money

He'd do well to get a high 3 figure sum for it imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis/11575060

This is my brother's car for sale.
    He has had it for a few years but I don't know anything about it, I've never even been in it.

Is it a good price for what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

high horse wrote: »

Hard to say, not much info given, no pics of all angles and no interior pics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed, and like I said, I like the Xantia and I appreciate the one owner, service history etc. Would drive it myself. Problem is, it's not good enough to appeal to a Citroen fan for safekeeping forever and there are literally thousands of cars that are more appealing to most people for similar money

He'd do well to get a high 3 figure sum for it imho

Hmmm, I'm not sure I fully agree with you Unkel. You will definately need to be a bit of a Citroen fan and more to the point an Xantia fan but I have no doubt there are quite a few of them out there. The car is possibly in limbo at this point in time to an extent, not quite old enough to have that vintage or at least retro appeal and not new enough to have any mass appeal. Having said that it does look in fantastic order, and I would see it as one of the last model quirky Citroens before they became homogeneous. As Duke mentions it is a very comfortable and capable everyday car (assuming you can get insurance reasonably in account of the age) with plenty of life left in her.

I'd have no doubt the car would make €1,000 all day long. Maybe €1,650 might be a small bit optomistic but I don't think its too far off the money.

One thing I would take a bit of an issue with....Its a one owner car seemingly but has a towbar that was unused apparently...that would seem the seller is telling porkies on that if you ask me not that the occasional use of a towbar for light towing ruins a car or anything either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've had 2 Xantias and a C5 and loved then but when that suspension is Marmite, you either love it or loath it. And if it develops a fault you'll be looking at a main dealer job for a considerable sum, speaking from experience on this one.
    My car decided to raise itself to full height and I had to limp to the dealer with zero suspension travel and shelled out hundreds for the repair.
    Didn't stop me buying another, and a C5 after that but that was a time I had more fundage and was willing to keep a reserve for such repairs.
    The Peugeot is a better buy, similar of not the same in most ways barring the hydraulics.

A special shout out goes to the Xantia and C5 having the handbrake linked to the front wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Looking at that Golf out of genuine interest and it looks like the passenger airbag is bent out. Could that indicate the car was crashed/hit?

52400082.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Don't think so, for example Alfas were famous for having loose passenger airbag covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

marko93 wrote: »
    Looking at that Golf out of genuine interest and it looks like the passenger airbag is bent out. Could that indicate the car was crashed/hit?

52400082.jpeg

As someone who owned a MkIV, looks completely normal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭W123-80's

homer90 wrote: »

Am I the only person that thinks these are an extremely unattractive car?

I am not questioning build quality, reliability etc... but they are fierce dopey looking cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

W123-80's wrote: »
    Am I the only person that thinks these are an extremely unattractive car?

I am not questioning build quality, reliability etc... but they are fierce dopey looking cars.

I think they're rank to look at

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/price-drop1-3-nissan-micra/11542181?sv=true

52213125.jpeg

Look at that rear reflector! And a wooden dash! Good bit of test and you'd probably get it for €500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-00-just-ncted-taxed/11364034

51304763.jpeg

New NCT until the end of the year and eight months tax for under a grand. Not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

That Forester is **** cool and I'd have it lifted if it wasn't auto!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd love that Subaru!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement