Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Surely this is a good deal for a Golf GTI?

Taxed for the next 10 months, and NCT's tis April!

52020468.jpeg

Golf GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭W123-80's

homer90 wrote: »
    52574456.jpeg

52574461.jpeg

1 owner 45,000 miles. 3 original keys still present. NCT February 2017. Taxed until April.

Few dings from the bingo car park. But on the face of it, an honest hack if got for less.

clicky

At an asking of €1,100 I think its fairly irrelevant what you buy it for.
    I would be very very confident that turning up with €950 would take that car home. But thats not the point.
    The important thing with this car, in my humble view is it should not be compared to S80's or a Yaris for €1,500 or a big leathery Saab or any other car for that matter..
    This is an immaculate 21 year old very well built little car. It deserves and needs to be bought, minded and crucially used.
    Too many cars posted here end up with comments such as 'there is one around the corner from me for less'.. or other such tosh.
    Every car should be taken on its own individual merits and weighted on that basis.
    I think that bangernomics has a responsibility to actively encourage and promote the preservation of the older entrants (youngtimers) where it is financially viable and safe to do so.

This is a top little car, in super nick, with plenty of test at a totally reasonable asking price.

Great find homer90.. now somebody please buy it, appreciate it and look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Good post W123. I was trying to get at a similar logic in my starlet post a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The problem is it can't be insured for a reasonable sum of money by the key age demographic that are after a simple reliable car to enter the world of motoring ie. u25's. I don't just mean young lads or boyracers anyone under 25 young women, young professionals you name it chances are they cannot get reasonable insurance quotes on older cars especially starlets, corollas, civics and colts. It's a shame as these simple reliable little cars were once the ideal car for the budding young motorist now they're in a type of limbo, not old enough for collectors not modern enough or big enough for most over 25's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Exactly, the insurance industry is killing the bangernomics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont think there is an issue for people with existing policies insuring any road legal car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont think there is an issue for people with existing policies insuring any road legal car

I got a ridiculous quote on a 2000 Honda civic which actually forced my hand into changing to a newer car. It's annoying because the car is in perfect mechanical order but I just couldn't afford to insure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I got a ridiculous quote on a 2000 Honda civic which actually forced my hand into changing to a newer car. It's annoying because the car is in perfect mechanical order but I just couldn't afford to insure it.
    Interesting. That is shocking. I thought it was only people taking out new policies.
    It needs to be stopped then cause that is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Certainly makes you wonder about the need for an NCT. If the insurance companies don't recognise it, what's the point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Soarer wrote: »
    Certainly makes you wonder about the need for an NCT. If the insurance companies don't recognise it, what's the point?

This is exactly what I have been saying. My civic passed the nct recently but now because of these insurance companies it is rendered useless to me simply because of its age. I could maybe understand if I was young or if it was modified but nope, just them refusing to give a sensible quote because it's 15 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just sold my 99 Avensis 2.0TD, car was perfect apart from its age and broken sunroof, those two things have consigned it to scrap.
    Its a criminal shame and one that the Government have entirely failed to tackle along with the whole Insurance sector.
    It suits them though as new cars bring taxes aplenty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Just sold my 99 Avensis 2.0TD, car was perfect apart from its age and broken sunroof, those two things have consigned it to scrap.
    Its a criminal shame and one that the Government have entirely failed to tackle along with the whole Insurance sector.
    It suits them though as new cars bring taxes aplenty!

Any new car, including electric vehicles, claim to be more environmentally friendly with better mpg. But to make them the planet is raped from all corners bringing steel from here, aluminium from there and polymers from where ever, all shipped and flown to be manufactured somewhere else leaving a massive carbon trail.

Your avensis, is, will be, far more environmentally friendly to run than a newer car. sad world.

ligertigon wrote: »
    Any new car, including electric vehicles, claim to be more environmentally friendly with better mpg. But to make them the planet is raped from all corners bringing steel from here, aluminium from there and polymers from where ever, all shipped and flown to be manufactured somewhere else leaving a massive carbon trail.

Your avensis, is, will be, far more environmentally friendly to run than a newer car. sad world.
    I know, I was talking about embodied energy a long time ago, but Green is a new religion and its disciples won't listen to anyone who advocates driving old cars as long as possible as environmentally sound.
    Sad day, that car went to the South of France and back with no bother, its just impossible to get a decent insurance quote for it.
    My wifes 00 Corolla will probably go the same way even though it hasn't put a foot wrong in its lifetime, what will I replace it with?

Is there anyway a bunch of like minded individuals could set up as their own broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Insurance is in the long run going to kill more old cars than the scrappage scheme. I know for a fact that if I bought that if i bought that old Starlet my insurance company would refuse point blank to quote me on it. I toyed with the idea of using a 1993 Saab as daily for a while but gave up trying to get a quote on it. Some people on the phone actually laughed when I told them the age of the car, despite the fact that it had a new NCT and was in fact a far better , more reliable and possibly safer car than the 00 Golf I drive now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Clutch slave cylinders give grief (share the fluid with the brakes:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Is there anyway a bunch of like minded individuals could set up as their own broker?

The brokers are not the underwriters. They still have to deal with the insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Clutch slave cylinders give grief (share the fluid with the brakes:eek:)

There's nothing wrong with that, plenty of cars have that setup. The take-off for the clutch hydraulics is usually from the side of the master cylinder reservoir, well above the brake cylinder, even if the clutch system leaked until it was completely empty it would still leave 20 to 30mm of fluid in the master cylinder.

jca wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with that, plenty of cars have that setup. The take-off for the clutch hydraulics is usually from the side of the master cylinder reservoir, well above the brake cylinder, even if the clutch system leaked until it was completely empty it would still leave 20 to 30mm of fluid in the master cylinder.

Did two of them before, they are just under the battery, seem to be a weak point on them and they corrode badly.
    Lovely punchy revvy diesel and the inside is a "nice place to be"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

mickdw wrote: »

Surely the cost of insurance is a huge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11596854

52492529.jpeg

Its no looked, but ten months test and 11 months tax for under a grand. €350 worth of tax right there

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Exactly, the insurance industry is killing the bangernomics.

This. Insurance on my 1.1 bangornomics 206 - 800-900eu with almost all insurance companies now. Subaru 05 - 900eu.
    At this point bangornomics cars getting a massive hit, specially for younger drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11596854

Its no looked, but ten months test and 11 months tax for under a grand. €350 worth of tax right there
    The seller is very smug about the car isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

flazio wrote: »

he really is, its off putting
    please only call is serious about purchasing as car is faultless.

is that a huge dent over the wheel on the passenger side wing?

52492528.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

flazio wrote: »

Read the first sentence and closed the ad. What a berk.

Comfortability. Is that a thing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

52452518.jpeg
    Has been repaired & serviced.
    :confused:

NCT 9/16 €1000

Love the look of these.. Never seen one in white, may not be to everyone's taste..

clicky...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318-tds/11609733
    52553499.jpeg
    E36 318 diesel, test until August for a grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

52622677.jpeg

Terrible advert but it's an estate 3 series with a leather interior and NCT for just €1250:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw/11623486

52357740.jpeg

Decent looking 328 with cow and NCT for €1600:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-328-ci/11571578

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement