Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

That Octavia has alot of miles on it, ex taxi perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I don't see too any hallmarks of taxi-ing, but it was my first thought too.

Might be a good yoke if you got it for €2200 or whatever. Could be a minefield too I guess, but worth a second look if you are after a budget diesel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

That Octavia has alot of miles on it, ex taxi perhaps ?

It's probably good for another 500k though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-ax/11645814

52741270.jpeg

You really want to be getting it for €500 and even then its only going to appeal to odd balls like me but this would make a super city runabout.

That looks like my driveway from when I was growing up :D

A gray AX14 GT (I think it was) 1.4 single carb anyway and a BX 16V GTI in black. I was only little at the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

And not bog spec either. Seems be to taxed as a private car too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    That looks like my driveway from when I was growing up :D

A gray AX14 GT (I think it was) 1.4 single carb anyway and a BX 16V GTI in black. I was only little at the time :)

That BX is gorgeous.
    I can remember a cab company in Sligo running a fleet of them back in the early 90s when I was studying there.
    And that dash in the AX, kind of jarring, the equivalent Toyota or Nissan had a far more conventional design, didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I don't see too any hallmarks of taxi-ing, but it was my first thought too.

Might be a good yoke if you got it for €2200 or whatever. Could be a minefield too I guess, but worth a second look if you are after a budget diesel.

High mileage but on the face of it it does look to be well minded. Still you'd want to be aiming to get a good few quid off the asking price all the same I reckon. Might be an ideal motor for somebody looking for a more affordable diesle family wagon and doesn't want to be forced to change for a couple of years with the way motor insurance is going.

Are the earlier 2.0 TDI VW not known to be that less economical and somewhat more finnicky than the 1.9 TDI's generally (I appreciate there are different variants of the 1.9 TDI too and some noted not to be as good as others)?

Won't be for everybody but I like this.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-nct-october-16-1650ono/11488687

Mileage is not severe at 132,000;
    Full leather and am pretty certain all of these have cruise control;
    Tested until Oct 2016;
    If all it genuinely needs is to get tracked and a droplink it wont put you out too much;
    Asking €1,650 o.n.o. but motor tax will be a turn off for many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Won't be for everybody but I like this.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-nct-october-16-1650ono/11488687

Mileage is not severe at 132,000;
    Full leather and am pretty certain all of these have cruise control;
    Tested until Oct 2016;
    If all it genuinely needs is to get tracked and a droplink it wont put you out too much;
    Asking €1,650 o.n.o. but motor tax will be a turn off for many.

Leather sweats and lowering springs, be afraid, be very afraid....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Patww79 wrote: »
    That was good. The countdown clock makes no sense though. What's the 7 years about too?

He laid it out in a countdown of all the years, months, days, hours and minutes it took to achieve his goal but I agree it's confusing.

jca wrote: »
    Leather sweats and lowering springs, be afraid, be very afraid....

Well hence why I said won't be for everybody. What I would suggest is if you into tarting up cars like that, its already done for you, go and have a look and judge it on its merits and you can walk away. The leather seats would have most likely being in that from day one I reckon. Leather seats in themselves would not put me off.

What's the problem with those leather seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What's the problem with those leather seats?

I think the poster was insinuating that they were aftermarket and with the lowered suspension may be indicative of a boy racer who might not have looked after the car in a manner which we would look after one.

I think the poster was insinuating that they were aftermarket and with the lowered suspension may be indicative of a boy racer who might not have looked after the car in a manner which we would look after one.

Boy racers install leather seats nowadays?

How things have changed since my day, we just had seat covers with flames or dragons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-1-8-petrol-saloon/11618286

Workmate is selling his Avensis.
    Barely gave him a minutes bother and always changed anything when it needed it.
    He maybe open to offers of 500 or over.
    Turned down 450 already.
    He has another car so not in a crazy rush to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anything with a brand spanking new guts of 15 months NCT in here gets my vote. Nice one, SmartinMartin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

koutoubia wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-1-8-petrol-saloon/11618286

Workmate is selling his Avensis.
    Barely gave him a minutes bother and always changed anything when it needed it.
    He maybe open to offers of 500 or over.
    Turned down 450 already.
    He has another car so not in a crazy rush to sell.

Let me guess, he's "just testing the water", he should have taken the €450 to be rid of it,217,000+ miles is a lorra lorra miles on what was probably Toyota's poorest quality engine of that era. The 1.8 tax would put a lot of prospective buyers off, with many opting for the more reliable 1.6 even if it is a slug.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I didn't think the 7a was a bad engine at all?

Looks very well cared for, you wouldn't think it had 215k at first glance.

Agree though, i'd probably have taken €450 as the 1.8 tax is a bit of a buzzkill for most people so selling it will be trickier, even if it's probably more fuel efficient, more powerful and only €120 p/a more to tax.

Even at full asking price it's a good purchase imo though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Let me guess, he's "just testing the water", he should have taken the €450 to be rid of it,217,000+ miles is a lorra lorra miles on what was probably Toyota's poorest quality engine of that era. The 1.8 tax would put a lot of prospective buyers off, with many opting for the more reliable 1.6 even if it is a slug.

No. Not testing the water.Its a genuine sale.
    He bought another newer car from a friend who was returning home to Lithunia, a Syang Yong.
    You can see the Yong Yong in one of the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Well If it is, their best engine of that era must be nuke proof. :pac:

What's wrong with that 1.8 engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

This is mine :
    https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-saab-93-2-0t-aero-hot/11371862

Hasn't done 1000 miles since the Nct last year.

This is mine :
    https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-saab-93-2-0t-aero-hot/11371862

Hasn't done 1000 miles since the Nct last year.

Wow

That is a lot of fast for the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-toyota-avensis-nct-717/11664394

52839353.jpeg

17 months test for I'd say €1500 after haggle. Sure you could be spending your 2.0 tax money on something nicer but this has leather and its quite a respectable looking car for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wow

That is a lot of fast for the money

Yea it's a quick car for the price, There's been a bit of a change of plan since i posted it up, the clutch is after going in my fathers passat so I'm going to throw a bit of tax on it and give it to him for until he has his own back.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

High output turbo, It's saab talk :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement