Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Could've taken that Supermacs cup out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    My first thought was that it meant it was stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

High output turbo, It's saab talk :P

Indeed. Most Saabs have been turbos for quite some time and the normal models are LPT (low pressure turbo) and the fastest models have the HOT

Volvos of the same era have a similar setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

This is mine :
    https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-saab-93-2-0t-aero-hot/11371862

Hasn't done 1000 miles since the Nct last year.

I used to own that car many many years ago. Excellent car. Huge history up to when I bought it. Different wheels these days. I know it got a sump drop and clean while I owned it and it had already had a breather kit upgrade. I beleive it was capable of 143 mph :-) But that would be telling.

PS Does the boot still stink of pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

52761559.jpeg

52761554.jpeg
    NCT 06/16 ( Passed On 26/01/2016) Very Clean - Driving Like New

€1099

Possibly needs to be in the barge thread.....

clicky...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

I used to own that car many many years ago. Excellent car. Huge history up to when I bought it. Different wheels these days. I know it got a sump drop and clean while I owned it and it had already had a breather kit upgrade. I believe it was capable of 143 mph :-) But that would be telling.

PS Does the boot still stink of pot!

Ha that's a coincidence, how long ago did you have it ?
    There is a lot of history with it alright but it hasn't seen much more than half that speed in my ownership.

Thankfully the smell of weed must have faded away, good thing too cause it's been out of tax for a while. It'd be one more thing to explain at a checkpoint:pac: It's getting 3 months tax tomorrow and going to be kept in the family for a little while longer.

Keeping on topic this was what I was potentially going to replace it with:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-taxed-april-2016/11470948

51840059.jpeg

Nice reg
    Long test
    Some tax
    Low mileage
    Leather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1994-toyota-corolla-nct-08-16/11681215

52920498.jpeg

Only NCT'd for another 5 months, but for €450 with some tax too. Very very rare unmolested Fx Corolla too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1994-toyota-corolla-nct-08-16/11681215

52920498.jpeg

Only NCT'd for another 5 months, but for €450 with some tax too. Very very rare unmolested Fx Corolla too

That looks very clean - surely could be taxed as a second car on a classic policy?

I believe a lot of companies won't insure mass produced cars at this age [19/20 yrs] and especially Japanese ones but if you persisted you might succeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

I have seen heard of old starlets and the likes getting on the vintage policies. I think it's a lot easier if you have another car insured.

Any idea what those 1.6 corollas are like compared the reliable 1.3s?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Bandito909 wrote: »
    I have seen heard of old starlets and the likes getting on the vintage policies. I think it's a lot easier if you have another car insured.

Quicker than a Golf GTI from the same era!

ligertigon wrote: »
    Quicker than a Golf GTI from the same era!

A wet morning feels quicker than a 8v Gti!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

homer90 wrote: »
    52761559.jpeg

52761554.jpeg

€1099

Possibly needs to be in the barge thread.....

clicky...

I have a real fear of these.
    A close relative bought new in 2003 an s320 cdi, the face lifted car with alot of the issues sorted or so we believed. It was an absolute money pit. He had it parked quite abit as a second car but both inside and outside warranty from about 30k miles onwards it was terrible.
    Overheating, Electrical issues, locked out of the car, Non starting, Rear suspension failure. Some of it was likely lack of use but Ive never known a new car to go so wrong. Obviously, nothing was cheap on it either.

If it's still going after 16 years and passing its NCT, surely any important issues must have been fixed early on? Nobody in their right mind would have spend thousands on it in the past few years. And nobody will going forward. My guess is that it might very well be ok. Buy it for €800 or €900 and your worst case scenario won't break the bank...

That said, if I were to buy it, I'd be more comfortable with a longer NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Bandito909 wrote: »

Ep70 starlets can get the classic insurance the ep80's are a good bit harder to get a classic policy on due to the large volume of ep82 gt turbo's in the country many down as 1.3 n/a's on the book.
    With regards the 4afe 1.6 engines they're every bit as reliable as toyota's 1.3 4efe and well maintained ones are great on petrol when driven easy and are actually quite nippy when driven hard.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520-nct-04-2017/11646756

52746374.jpeg

Now this is something I can get behind, 2002 520i (with appropriate plate) & 13 months test for a euro under a grand. Ad is scarce on details but it has passed a test recently, if there isn't too much wrong with it then its a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520-nct-04-2017/11646756

52746374.jpeg

Now this is something I can get behind, 2002 520i (with appropriate plate) & 13 months test for a euro under a grand. Ad is scarce on details but it has passed a test recently, if there isn't too much wrong with it then its a bargain

I'd consider buying that just so I could clean those seats..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

W123-80's wrote: »
    I'd consider buying that just so I could clean those seats..:pac:

Clean the outside while your at it too... Why would someone put a car up for sale and not bother to wash it is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

jca wrote: »
    Why would someone put a car up for sale and not bother to wash it is beyond me.

maybe the dirt is hiding a few marks or blemishes?

maybe he just doesn't care, hence the price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Clean the outside while your at it too... Why would someone put a car up for sale and not bother to wash it is beyond me.

This.

It speaks volumes about the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I dunno, it looks like a fun bus.:)
    Text Feb '17
    Tax May '16
    I'd drive it
    Asking €1,100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daihatsu-terios/11693300

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    If it's still going after 16 years and passing its NCT, surely any important issues must have been fixed early on? Nobody in their right mind would have spend thousands on it in the past few years. And nobody will going forward. My guess is that it might very well be ok. Buy it for €800 or €900 and your worst case scenario won't break the bank...

That said, if I were to buy it, I'd be more comfortable with a longer NCT.

The nct won't pick up every issues though tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

cadaliac wrote: »
    This.

It speaks volumes about the owner.

That's pretty normal for this time of year though. It's very easy to see past a little bit of dirt if the car is genuine.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The nct won't pick up every issues though tbf.

Of course not. But a valid NCT means a road legal car and a just tested NCT means a road worthy car

Anything they haven't tested and haven't found (and I didn't test or find when I bought it), I ain't gonna fix so it's not gonna cost me anything

How about that for a bangernomics attitude? :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c5-automatic/11694339

52988094.jpeg

It won't set the world alight but its a comfortable automatic family saloon with no less than 18 months test and you'd probably get it for €1500 after haggle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-tdci-tax-nct/11616681

Hope the mods don't mind but I think it fits the bill of bangernomics in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

W123-80's wrote: »
    I dunno, it looks like a fun bus.:)
    Text Feb '17
    Tax May '16
    I'd drive it
    Asking €1,100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daihatsu-terios/11693300

I once drove a terios. For sure up there with the worst handling cars ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Just to back track a small bit I think we need to not loose sight of the fact that its asking less than a grand either and it is a bit of a cliche but I'd tend to be somewhat more sceptical of the one thats polished up to the 9's if we are €1,000 bangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement