Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 week old

Options
  • 14-09-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi
    We have an 11 week boy. He has been on aptamil, aptamil comfort, aptamil lactose free,sma comfort and now he is on Nutramigen Lipil 1. He drinks about 2 ozs fine and then he gets winded. After this he screams in pain and will not take any more even though he wants it. This has happened on all foods we have tried him with. He has an awful lot of wind even though he is on infacol drops and we use Dr Brown's bottle. He has now developed a rash on his neck arms and stomach. He has regular dirty and wet nappies. If anybody has experienced anything like this or could suggest anything we would appreciate it.
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

If he has a rash bring him to doctor . Ring doctor on call now and talk to nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Padc

He was at GP today and GP was shown rash. But didn't seem bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

If your GP isn't taking you seriously, especially with a small baby, change your GP.
    Or else go back and ask to be referred to a pediatrician. Chances are it's minor and I'm not trying to alarm you but I wouldn't take any risks with a baby that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Could it actually be reflux and not wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lookingforhelp

I used to work as a nanny for neonates. This sounds like reflux. Its actually quite common in small babies. There is such a thing as baby gaviscon as well as other reflux medication and an anti reflux formula. I would 100% get a baby doctor referral from your GP to get a diagnosis. There is nothing worse than worrying about a tiny baby. You could also present at Temple St or Crumlin. If it does turn out to be reflux they will eventually outgrow it but it can be months of screaming after feeds. Although against SIDS advise I found reflux babies settled better on their side but please only do this when you are supervising their sleep. Also keeping them upright for 30 mins after feeding. Best of Luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Stick with the Nutramigen for a few weeks and ask your PHN and GP about reflux.
    Putting a pillow under his mattress so he sleeps at an angle can help too.
    I found the sling fantastic too.
    I had 3 reflux babies,1 allergic to milk and 1 lactose intolerant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That's a mad amount of formula changes for a baby that young, were they on the advise of the doc? We have silent reflux here. Stuck with standard cow and gate with baby gaviscon. Sit him up for half an hour after meals. Raise the head of the cot. Did a lot of his napping in the bouncer because the incline worked for him. Oddly enough giving him the bottle with him lying down was surprisingly successful in getting the extra oz in. Oh and I spent a lot of time carrying him upright in his sling

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I echo Mirrorwall14 advice. And keep going back to GP.Some GPs can be a bit indifferent once the baby is gaining weight and generally healthy.Stick with the one formula for the next while, unless it's causing big problems.

Advertisement