Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Close

• 14-09-2015 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

One of the first names I recall from my youth when he was taking a pounding by the West Indies fast attack with as much fortitude as is possible as a middle aged man with a balding pate. That he has died at the age of 84 makes me realise how old I am! :(

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Great character - refusing to wear body protection when facing the Windies in their heyday in the 70s and refusing to even whince when they peppered his body

An all-time great. England's youngest ever player, first appearing for his country at the age of 18. Leading Yorkshire to 4 county championships before moving on to Somerset where he helped turn them into one of the best cricketing counties leading the likes of Viv Richards and Joel Garner and becoming something of a father figure to Ian Botham

More here

He led Yorkshire to the Gillette Cup in 1965, and one of my most treasured possessions is the medal he was awarded following that victory (I picked it up at auction maybe 10 years ago)

Advertisement