Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Phibsboro

Options
  • 14-09-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've read some old info on this topic and I am seeking up to date info.

I'm considering a move to the area, particularly around the Fontenoy Street and Auburn St and adjoining streets. What is it like living around these parts? and raising a baby here?

It is close to some parts of town that are less desirable and i'm wondering about crime, safety at night? safety walking to from town?

Also interested in learning about the community spirit? friendliness? communal amenities (basin, playground and football pitch, canal park).

Also would love to hear and collect any info in general on the area as a whole; pros and cons..

Many thanks..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Im 46 years in the area and have never had any problems. You have a huge amount of people in the area so like anywhere in the world its good to keep your wits about you. On the pro side you are close to the phoenix park and royal canal walks. Woodstock café is excellent for food and a few good pubs in the area as well. The last time I was down at the basin there were a lot of kids hanging around but no issues. There is also the new college coming in so there are a lot of developments in the pipeline(Luas etc.).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

PS: I've also walked though it at all hours and never had any prbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

thomur wrote: »
    Im 46 years in the area and have never had any problems. You have a huge amount of people in the area so like anywhere in the world its good to keep your wits about you. On the pro side you are close to the phoenix park and royal canal walks. Woodstock café is excellent for food and a few good pubs in the area as well. The last time I was down at the basin there were a lot of kids hanging around but no issues. There is also the new college coming in so there are a lot of developments in the pipeline(Luas etc.).

+1 Best café ever!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I've been living here for 1 year and our house has been broken into 3 times with 1 other attempt. One of the break ins was while one of my housemates was still at home. To be fair the street we are on itself is very quiet, the house is nice and the neighbours are pleasant but we have definitely had problems over the short time we've lived here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Quiet enough area - the only issue my friend has who lives there (Fontenoy St.) is the parking - it's fairly tight, though residents can get a permit. For those who want to get involved in things there is the community garden up at Broadstone, though of course they have had their issues with the types that wreck anything nice in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wouldnt fancy living on any of the main drags in Phibsboro. Within 500m radius of Doyles Corner you have a firestation, Mountjoy Prison and Garda Station and also the Mater Hospital. Which means sirens and flashing blue lights at all times of the day and night. A friend lives just down the road from Tesco, she says you get used to it but I don't think I could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wouldnt fancy living on any of the main drags in Phibsboro. Within 500m radius of Doyles Corner you have a firestation, Mountjoy Prison and Garda Station and also the Mater Hospital. Which means sirens and flashing blue lights at all times of the day and night. A friend lives just down the road from Tesco, she says you get used to it but I don't think I could
    Fontenoy is quiet enough being off the main road.
    The basin is nice and has a good playground for the kids but should be avoided at night like most parks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it's ok tehre, I've had no trouble really in 4 years but people hanging around the parks there can be annoying, alcoholics, youths etc. Feels like you can't even use them.

I'm not on any main road but close and it's very quiet, no sirens or traffic noises, just be sure to listen out when viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

I've lived in the area for about 4 years. Spent a year in Nelson st close to Fontenoy St and it was quite quiet around there, sirens wouldn't be that noticeable, never had any hassle. Live around Doyle's corner now, and I prefer it a little because it's a bit busier ( and you do get used to all the sirens after a while, visitors think it's weird I don't notice a constant fire engines going by the front all the time)

In terms of community spirit, there seems to be a lot more going on in this regard in Phibs the last few years, with the Phizzfest local summer festival and the tidy towns group being more active.

Advertisement