Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Laptop 4 months?

Options
  • 14-09-2015 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I purchased a laptop a few months ago and the screen just stopped working. I'm planning on bringing it back to Argos, if they offer a repair do I have to accept? I can't really afford to be without the laptop for a few weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get your data off it before you bring it to Argos. No personal laptop warranty cares about your data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

the_syco wrote: »
    Get your data off it before you bring it to Argos. No personal laptop warranty cares about your data.

Might be a bit difficult if you cant see the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Might be a bit difficult if you cant see the screen.
    Stick the harddrive into a caddy, or connect to to a PC, and he'll be able to grab the data off it. Have heard of peoples documents/first photo's of baby/etc, get erased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Agree with Sugarman - Argos are great with just swapping faulty stuff.

Def suggest backing up your data. There's no comeback when you hand over your computer for a new one. As the screen isn't working, connect it to a friends monitor or at a pinch, your TV if it has a VGA input (cable available in Dealz for €1.49).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Unfortunately they weren't great today. Got told that it would be have to be sent away to determine if the damage was through my own fault. If it is I pay if it isn't they'll fix it.

I'm bit usually a disgruntled customer and wouldn't usually get annoyed but I certainly won't be shopping for anything in argos again. Leadt of all computers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What Argos have told you is perfectly reasonable, the seller is entitled to check the cause of the defect. Imo if you had bought anywhere else you'd likely be told the same so there's no point in being disgruntled.

I get that it's just frustrating that I won't be able to make any online sales for a minimum of two weeks through no fault of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I get that it's just frustrating that I won't be able to make any online sales for a minimum of two weeks through no fault of my own.
    Note if you bought the laptop as a business then you're not a consumer and consequently are not entitled to any protection under consumer law. You may be covered under the manufacturer's guarantee though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

do you still have it. Can you post a picture of the display with the laptop powered on?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ssmith6287 - If the OP wants to discuss diagnosis and repair, the conversation should go to the Laptops forum

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

It could be as simple as a loose connection - hence a refund / replacement would never be the first option until fault is daignosed.

It is a drawback of buying in Argos as they don't have any "experts" on hand to check and have to send away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 FlickBean

That is a pain - hope you get it sorted asap and start trading again :)

I was in a similar situation so now I have a really good phone that will allow me trade/work even if my laptop goes down.

Best of luck with it!!

Sorry to drag this thread up again but argos sent the laptop back, it wa deemed that I had not caused the damage and I got it back after a month. The day I got it back I opened it for the first time and it was the same story with the screen.

I brought it back in and was told they needed to send it away again. I literally had the 10 minutes as I tested it in the car.

I contacted argos customer service who told me to basically suck it up it take it to another store to see if I could get what I wanted

Do I have any other options here?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've failed to repair it, so your consumer rights are to a refund or replacement (their choice).

If you don't want them to faff around without another repair, you either need to have a hissy in the shop, making a scene so they obey the law to get rid of you, or take them to the small claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

The repair must be permanent, and have actually worked. Since this is not the case you can insist on alternate redress. However, Argos can stick to their guns and refuse that too, and in that case you have a bit of a stalemate.

If they continue to refuse you can open a small claims court case to seek a refund. Maybe tell them you're doing this, and see if that changes their mind. You can do it online now
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/50A0FEDF19079201802574050061745F?opendocument&l=en

Since they returned the laptop to you as repaired, but it was not, they have not got a leg to stand on. It will be up to you to take them to court though if they refuse to refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Any repair is meant to be permanent as mentioned by other posters. I am surprised argos are acting this way as I have only ever had good experiences with returns.

I would attempt to contact them once more and ask to speak to someone in seniority and let them know the issue and if they can help you out mentioning that any repair was meant to be permanent. This might get you to where you want to be but if not then I would suggest opening a small claims court case against them. The cost is €25 and you can do this online. More often than not companies will not show up to proceedings any you will be awarded the cost of a new laptop. You will not be awarded the original €25 though unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP print off the following SI (Link)

Explain notwithstanding anything else the delay in providing a resolution is in your view unreasonable and you would like to speak to someone in their legal department.

I do a good line the jovial loud mouth, but really it'll get you nowhere unless someone else has a problem that exact same time :) Keep it polite, but stand firm. Getting rude, throwing a wobbler or alike will get you nowhere, you can achieve a lot more by playing Mr. Nice Guy.

If all else fails ask for the address of the registered office in Ireland 'for the summons' and just go through the SmCC Procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i too also bought a new laptop and similar issue happened ,twice in for testing and not found the cause ,more likely a dry joint when hot it would power off .when cold it worked and was always sitting on a flat table so air was not an issue. ended up with cash back.

Advertisement