Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dress code in Ireland

• 14-09-2015 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Should there be an acceptable code of dress ? Is it acceptable for foreigners to wear burkhas and hijabs.

When Irish people are in the Middle East , there are minimum dress codes .

What is acceptable in Ireland. What are your views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I love the way people say the middle east like its one place. There are minimum dress codes where exactly, would Jordan, Turkey or Egypt be the same as Saudi or Yemen?

Back to your question, I don't mind what anyone wears. Its none of my business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

Couldn't give a bollix what anyone wears to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is already a dress code. You have to be dressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Grey tracksuit bottoms and blue hoodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

biko wrote: »
    There is already a dress code. You have to be dressed.

Stupid public indecency laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I don't like women wearing the burka.

There I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Not being allowed out in your pajamas. I can see way too much of peoples bodys and I'm a delicate flower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like French approach. I don't care what you do in your spare time but there is no space for religious symbols when working in public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Good day you're able to be up and about and fit to wear clothes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Should there be an acceptable code of dress ? Is it acceptable for foreigners to wear burkhas and hijabs.

What are your views on the matter OP?

There are minimum dress codes here too, the minimum is just smaller in comparison. I am sure if a country of naked people existed, and they migrated to Ireland, there would be uproar if they were to walk the streets naked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

What are your views on the matter OP?

There are minimum dress codes here too, the minimum is just smaller in comparison. I am sure if a country of naked people existed, and they migrated to Ireland, there would be uproar if they were to walk the streets naked.

There is no place for wearing burkhas and hijabs in Irish society, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

Sure aren't hijabs pretty much the same as the scarfs a lot of aul wans have been wearing for years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I have nothing against a Hijab style scarfs as it only covers the hair and neck. The face is visible. I have known women who out of personal and unforced preference want to wear it and its really no different then wrapping any random scarf around you. It can easily be a sense of style.

The Niqab and Burka however covers most of the face if not all of it, so the person cannot be recognised. This is insane. Regardless of reason, whether it be personal, religious or forced this shouldn't be allowed to be worn.

Just as if I decided to wear a balaclava throughout my day, In my house, streets, shopping and work. It simply wouldn't be allowed.

So why do we allow someone to do something just because they say "its my religion".

Same crazy rule applies to men who wear turbans are not required to wear motorcycle helmets. They get away with it because they cry "its my religion".

A rule is a rule. You shouldn't escape it because of religious reasons.

The only thing I want outlawed is visible butt cleavage. I want to be able to drip hot wax down butt cracks as punishment for having butt crack on show. That'll make them cover up and keep their hairy butts to themselves.

I'm looking at you, Mr Plumber who was in my place on Friday with two inches of hairy ass cleavage on view (even when standing). Pull your pants UP. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Flat cap and greased combover for both genders.

(In south Kerry anyway)

Candie wrote: »
    The only thing I want outlawed is visible butt cleavage. I want to be able to drip hot wax down butt cracks as punishment for having butt crack on show. That'll make them cover up and keep their hairy butts to themselves.

I'm looking at you, Mr Plumber who was in my place on Friday with two inches of hairy ass cleavage on view (even when standing). Pull your pants UP. :(
    Or might have the opposite outcome. Lot of weirdos out there.

Or might have the opposite outcome. Lot of weirdos out there.

Drop snakes, that's what I meant. Snakes. Anacondas!

Drop snakes, that's what I meant. Snakes. Anacondas!
    That would do it, glad I wear pants that fit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I have nothing against a Hijab style scarfs as it only covers the hair and neck. The face is visible. I have known women who out of personal and unforced preference want to wear it and its really no different then wrapping any random scarf around you. It can easily be a sense of style.

The Niqab and Burka however covers most of the face if not all of it, so the person cannot be recognised. This is insane. Regardless of reason, whether it be personal, religious or forced this shouldn't be allowed to be worn.

Just as if I decided to wear a balaclava throughout my day, In my house, streets, shopping and work. It simply wouldn't be allowed.

So why do we allow someone to do something just because they say "its my religion".

Same crazy rule applies to men who wear turbans are not required to wear motorcycle helmets. They get away with it because they cry "its my religion".

A rule is a rule. You shouldn't escape it because of religious reasons.

I agree, if one was to wear a motorcycle helmet or balaclava into your local bank, I guess it would cause some consternation........... would the wearing of a burka cause a similar reaction??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Only outlaw male butt cleavage please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hot wax? You've been reading too much 50 shades of Grey Candie :p

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Hot wax? You've been reading too much 50 shades of Grey Candie :p

I read a few chapters and thought it was a parody! Much better than the book itself is this review:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

Although it did have some comedy value when my cousin got my granny drunk at Christmas and got her to read out certain passages while he recorded it. I thought I'd pee laughing at that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

meeeeh wrote: »
    I like French approach. I don't care what you do in your spare time but there is no space for religious symbols when working in public service.

Morocco done it in the 1970s -- but i think they repealed it since. Turkey repealed the ban on hijabs in civil service in 2013.

Not sure why France got so vilified for doing what many Muslim countries had done for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And when there's not Irish people there is it all bikinis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Seen a lot of full face veils around Dublin lately I couldn't give a fep about anything else but they should be banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

StonyIron wrote: »
    Flat cap and greased combover for both genders.

(In south Kerry anyway)
    So the men also get to do that now? Grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have legally worn a balaclava and walked down O'Connell street. I don't care what they wear.

Could we ban people who are over 40 stone from wearing tank tops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

What was up with young men back years ago wearing suits everyday of the week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

I favour the Ferengi dress code for ladies, rather than the Burka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Tuxedo & cocktail dresses I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I agree those who come to live here from very different cultures should not force their customs on us, and obviously anything that harms another person, like some of the sharia practices, are illegal here.

And I don't like the burkha and don't like seeing it on women, but at the same time, if a woman does wear it on the street (I agree her face should not be covered up in a building - public or commercial) what could be done? It would be weird to fine or imprison someone for what they wear.

I agree those who come to live here from very different cultures should not force their customs on us, and obviously anything that harms another person, like some of the sharia practices, are illegal here.

And I don't like the burkha and don't like seeing it on women, but at the same time, if a woman does wear it on the street (I agree her face should not be covered up in a building - public or commercial) what could be done? It would be weird to fine or imprison someone for what they wear.

I know what you mean, but it's a symbol of oppression and has no place in the life of a modern secular society. The people who argue about a womans choice to wear it rarely make a convincing case for the quality of that choice, made as it is under cultural or religious influence and isolating the woman as it does from the most commonplace interactions. Any garment that prevents a person from engaging with the world around them, and the people in it, is bad news. The women in them are reduced from participating adults in society, into faceless ghosts.

I'd love to make it illegal, I'd love to make it so reviled by everyone that nobody can possibly choose to wear it, or would dare convince someone else to wear it. I don't think it can really happen though.

At the end of the day, regardless of what it symbolises, it's an item of clothing and I just don't see how it can be banned from the street or from private life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Getting a person to cover their face because they're a woman has zero place in modern society IMHO. I don't think it could be banned here but I highly doubt there is complete choice in wearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

You can wear what you like as long as you dont tell others how to dress everything is peachy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

The people who argue about a womans choice to wear it rarely make a convincing case for the quality of that choice, made as it is under cultural or religious influence
    Absolutely. The "choice" is never really choice in the true sense of the word. Weirdly though, there are women who would prefer to wear it - again, through indoctrination. I guess it makes them feel protected in a perverse way.

We should certainly try to educate such women as to how damaging this garment is, but as you say, I don't know if banning it from being worn privately is something that can be enforced. I guess a fine could be handed out on the street, but really... a fine for what someone wears? I would be more inclined to view these women as victims rather than criminals, and I think a gentler approach to persuading them to eschew the burkha would be more effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Getting a person to cover their face because they're a woman has zero place in modern society IMHO.
    Except when it comes to make-up, that's fine..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't have a problem with it, any more than I have no problem with a woman wearing barely there clothing if that's what she wants to wear. I don't feel any reason to be perturbed by it any more than I would go into my neighbours home and tell them how to raise their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I don't give a damn what anyone. If a piebe of clothing that someone is wearing actually upsets you, there is something wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No problem with the dress itself.
    As long as they are foreigners, there arent too many of them, and they arent here for too long I am fine with it.

What we dont need is a return to medieval superstitious misogynist cults, so if there were too many of them moving here or converting to such beliefs, then we couldnt afford to be so tolerant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I know what you mean, but it's a symbol of oppression and has no place in the life of a modern secular society. The people who argue about a womans choice to wear it rarely make a convincing case for the quality of that choice, made as it is under cultural or religious influence and isolating the woman as it does from the most commonplace interactions. Any garment that prevents a person from engaging with the world around them, and the people in it, is bad news. The women in them are reduced from participating adults in society, into faceless ghosts.

I'd love to make it illegal, I'd love to make it so reviled by everyone that nobody can possibly choose to wear it, or would dare convince someone else to wear it. I don't think it can really happen though.

At the end of the day, regardless of what it symbolises, it's an item of clothing and I just don't see how it can be banned from the street or from private life.

From what I hear from France, the women there choosing the more extreme forms of clothing such as niqabs and burqas are actually almost exclusively recent converts of French heritage. I think if they were happy enough to make a decision about following a new religion, surely their attire is their own informed choice as well?

I agree that around the world, though, the clothing is chosen more out of tradition and/or religious indoctrination. However, I sincerely dislike pre-assuming that all women globally would drop their burqas and veils and chose more Western-style clothing if only we could educate them; to me, this sounds a little too much like chauvinism - the thought that our way of dressing is obviously superior, and the thought that women who decide not to dress this way do so because they obviously don't know what's good for them so someone needs to tell them.

If we want to address the situation of women in the Arab and Islamic world, is the way they dress really the most urgent problem?
    Or do we just get wound up about that because it's most visible and noticeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

while in Ireland jumpers/tshirts and jeans!!!

While abroad shorts flip flops and of course the ol GAA shirt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No problem with the dress itself.
    As long as they are foreigners, there arent too many of them, and they arent here for too long I am fine with it.

What we dont need is a return to medieval superstitious misogynist cults, so if there were too many of them moving here or converting to such beliefs, then we couldnt afford to be so tolerant.

How many is "too many" exactly, and when would you start to crack down on converts?

I'd just like to know so I can be around when you tell my sister to remove her khimar, should be fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I've been spending an increasing amount of time in Dublin over the last few months. I've been tasked with trying to improve the efficiency of our back and middle office operations over there. In many aspects it has been a relatively easy task. Young Irish graduates are keen to learn. I've spotted a few real 'go-getters' emerging as wheat from the chaff.

However, one of the things I have noticed is the complete and utter lack of any sort of sartorial refinement. Back office staff tend to arrive in wearing ill-fitting casual shirts worn outside the trousers. Trousers in this case being Jack Jones or Topman jeans. Every middle management seem to think they can get away with wearing a suit that was last in fashion back in 2011; the last time they bought a 'wedding and funeral' suit.

The Irish dress terribly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I don't give a damn what anyone. If a piebe of clothing that someone is wearing actually upsets you, there is something wrong with you.

Ok so my plan to start giving out free "PizzamanIRL is a fat cnut and his wife/mother is a slag" t-shirt's is fine then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ok so my plan to start giving out free "PizzamanIRL is a fat cnut and his wife/mother is a slag" t-shirt's is fine then

Honestly it wouldn't bother me. It's just me though, I don't get annoyed by futile things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is as ireland is a free democratic country. if there was a ban on it it would be as extremist as any country forcing everyone to "cover up"

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I agree, if one was to wear a motorcycle helmet or balaclava into your local bank, I guess it would cause some consternation........... would the wearing of a burka cause a similar reaction??????
    burka wearers are asked to show their face when walking into a bank, same with anyone wearing something that covers the face.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement