Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac or Concrete very long road?

Options
  • 15-09-2015 12:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have a road which was completely destroyed over this weekend's phenomenal flooding here in Kerry. Drainage was a problem and the road was always only a gravel track before but I'm now thinking I will make a proper road as it would be of huge benefit in that I could actually drive into the place besides having to walk as this bohereen leads into our farm. I will be constructing a new bridge from large concrete pipes across the small river. There is an existing bridge which I will abandon as the road follows a steep incline and was built in ancient times

The length of the road from Public road to House is 375 metres and I would be thinking to pave it at a width of 3 metres (10 feet) to allow for a single lane, I might make a passing layby half way down through it.

I know it would be big undertaking, most of the road is at very steep to gentle gradient. I was thinking to just make it out of concrete but if I had an idea of the cost of black topping it with Tarmac I'd consider that too. I would not consider tar and chip because this has no lasting and should be used on no road in my opinion.

I did some rough calculations and I might be wrong as maths was never my strong point but I got a rough figure of twelve cubic metres of concrete at 375m x 3metres x 100mm for the road itself. I don't know the cost of concrete as I'm not familiar with these things.

I think concreteing it might be the way to go as some sections were concrete years ago (badly) but these parts held up to the flood very impressively wheras all the gravel and other clay material were washed away. Frost is a consideration also as this is located in a high altitude and gets several falls of snow each year when no snow is found in the lower parts. Whilst I'd have a perfect road all the year Concrete on snow on a downward slope is a recipe for disaster, wheras Tarmac might give more traction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

You may get your pen and paper out again you will need a lot more than twelve cubic metres.
    Also would 100mm be thick enough for heavy traffic.

Just found an online calculator and it works out about 116 cubic metres at 4" depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Stinicker wrote: »
    I have a road which was completely destroyed over this weekend's phenomenal flooding here in Kerry. Drainage was a problem and the road was always only a gravel track before but I'm now thinking I will make a proper road as it would be of huge benefit in that I could actually drive into the place besides having to walk as this bohereen leads into our farm. I will be constructing a new bridge from large concrete pipes across the small river. There is an existing bridge which I will abandon as the road follows a steep incline and was built in ancient times

The length of the road from Public road to House is 375 metres and I would be thinking to pave it at a width of 3 metres (10 feet) to allow for a single lane, I might make a passing layby half way down through it.

I know it would be big undertaking, most of the road is at very steep to gentle gradient. I was thinking to just make it out of concrete but if I had an idea of the cost of black topping it with Tarmac I'd consider that too. I would not consider tar and chip because this has no lasting and should be used on no road in my opinion.

I did some rough calculations and I might be wrong as maths was never my strong point but I got a rough figure of twelve cubic metres of concrete at 375m x 3metres x 100mm for the road itself. I don't know the cost of concrete as I'm not familiar with these things.

I think concreteing it might be the way to go as some sections were concrete years ago (badly) but these parts held up to the flood very impressively wheras all the gravel and other clay material were washed away. Frost is a consideration also as this is located in a high altitude and gets several falls of snow each year when no snow is found in the lower parts. Whilst I'd have a perfect road all the year Concrete on snow on a downward slope is a recipe for disaster, wheras Tarmac might give more traction.

Your sums are quite a way out, like by a factor of 10!! I also think 100mm of conc would be fairly skimpy. 100mm of tar would be better on a well compacted bed. If there are changes in level look out for ponding and sort out your run off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

its about 110 cubic meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭893bet

For this job you won't have any change out of 15K even using only 4inches. Which will no doubt break and crumble at edges if there is any traffic in it.

Advertisement