Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy a Leatherman multitool?

Options
  • 15-09-2015 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I'm looking to pick up a Leatherman Juice xe6 but I don't know whether to buy from an Irish/Uk supplier and pay the higher price or order from somewhere in the US and risk having to pay customs on top of a hefty p+p charge. Where is the best place to order from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

the misses got my one in from america. was waiting 3 months for it and 45 quid post. ebay I think is where she bought it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Two places i've bought from directly. Alo Donegan's in Portlaoise and a tobacco shop on Grafton street that i cannot remember the name of.

Prices are higher than you'd pay from the states but as you said once you factor in shipping and the27% Vat & Duty (plus the Euro being really weak against the Dollar) you may not save anything and in fact may end up spending more to import one.

There used to be a place in Sallynoggin (again cannot remember the name of it) and done a great selection. Another tobacco shop with a good supply of them but it's been years since i was up there (used to go there with my Grandfather as he was a big pipe smoker but stopped when he passed away).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

nigelm485 wrote: »
    the misses got my one in from america. was waiting 3 months for it and 45 quid post. ebay I think is where she bought it

Why can't you buy one from almost ANY UK-based gunstore?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leatherman-LTG78105083N-Juice-Multi-Purple/dp/B00B7ZQQ0A?SubscriptionId=AKIAIQWHH4HRPK7LRQTQ&tag=ip-gd-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00B7ZQQ0A&ascsubtag=Leatherman000Xe6

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

God I didn't even think of the bad conversion rates. Definitely worth buying locally so I guess. I know the tobbacco place on Grafton st, didn't realise they sold stuff like that. 3 months is a loooong time to wait for something in the post nigelm :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Cass i think that shop is petersons. Once at the bottom of grafron st and college green. They have their warehouse in sallynoggin. The new shop is on nassau st, about 100 yards from the former premises.

They import led lenser and leatherman tools, and obviously cigars/pipe tobacco etc. They have stuff on their website, not sure how their prices compare to other shops.

• Advertisement

Good man yourself.

It's been years since i was there so the names and details escaped me. I know Alo Donegan still does them as he is local to me (Portlaoise) and are/were an agent or tied in to the place on Grafton street.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Ive never bought a led lenser or leatherman off them. But i believe perersons are the main importer of them into the country.

And if your grandfather went to sallynoggin, he knew his stuff. They sometimes give a more favourable price at the warehouse depending on who you get talking to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I bought a Leatherman abroad some time back, had it break at home, contacted Petersons about possible repair as they are listed as Irish distributor.
    They replaced it outright.
    Speaks volumes for the costumer service of both Petersons and Leatherman.
    As mentioned already, exchange rates make buying at home the best option, and you wouldn't go wrong with Petersons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

plus one on the replacement service from petersons. first class service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Cass i think that shop is petersons. Once at the bottom of grafron st and college green. They have their warehouse in sallynoggin. The new shop is on nassau st, about 100 yards from the former premises.

They import led lenser and leatherman tools, and obviously cigars/pipe tobacco etc. They have stuff on their website, not sure how their prices compare to other shops.

http://www.peterson.ie/c/30/leatherman

• Advertisement

And if your grandfather went to sallynoggin, he knew his stuff.!
    You can sing that. The collection of speciality, custom and rare pipes he had was second to known. I have some here, somewhere, as i couldn't face anyone selling them. Plus he was a great man for lighters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FWIW The main dealer for Leatherman in Ireland is;

Peterson of Dublin
    Peterson House
    Sallynoggin Dublin
    01 2851011
    sales@peterson.ie

From the Leathermn website.Could always try ordering it from their online store too and see what or how much cheaper it could be direct from the States.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

J.R. wrote: »

OUTRAGEOUS ripoff prices at Peterson!!!

€92 for a Freestyle vs U$29 on US Amazon !!!!

Even with P&P and customs it's cheaper.

I got a skeletool and crater on US Amazon. Came quickly and was cheaper than eire prices.

Tompatrick wrote: »
    OUTRAGEOUS ripoff prices at Peterson!!!

€92 for a Freestyle vs U$29 on US Amazon !!!!
    If you're going to make a derogatory statement against a company then at least get your facts straight.

The leatherman Freestyle directly from Leatherman is $44.85 and $42.95 from Amazon. If you include taxes and/or duties with the current exchange rate that is €49.53 and that is without shipping. Allow for shipping to only be $10 and you add a minimum of €9 to that final price giving you €58.93. Peterson have the Freestyle for sale at €59.95. So you save a whole Euro.

The one you quoted as them selling for €92 is the freestyle CX model. Which Amazon sell for €84.50 including shipping. Now add taxes and duties and the current exchange rate and you get a nice total of €95.25. So actually €3 more.

Of course maybe you were thinking of second hand, but if you are going to make accusations then at least compare the same model and include taxes, duties, shipping, exchange rates, etc. Doesn't matter if you did not get caught for the duties, the fact is they apply and anyone bringing one in may get hit with them.

Secondly if taxes did not apply then the above still holds true. You DID NOT COMPARE THE SAME MODELS. So the $45 freestyle including shipping at say $15 would amount to €53. €6 cheaper.

Lastly if Amazon decide to sell the product cheaper than Leatherman, the ones that make it, then Petersons cannot be accused of being a "rip off" because they buy directly from their supplier and not from Amazon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Cass wrote: »
    If you're going to make a derogatory statement against a company then at least get your facts straight.

The leatherman Freestyle directly from Leatherman is $44.85 and $42.95 from Amazon. If you include taxes and/or duties with the current exchange rate that is €49.53 and that is without shipping. Allow for shipping to only be $10 and you add a minimum of €9 to that final price giving you €58.93. Peterson have the Freestyle for sale at €59.95. So you save a whole Euro.

The one you quoted as them selling for €92 is the freestyle CX model. Which Amazon sell for €84.50 including shipping. Now add taxes and duties and the current exchange rate and you get a nice total of €95.25. So actually €3 more.

Of course maybe you were thinking of second hand, but if you are going to make accusations then at least compare the same model and include taxes, duties, shipping, exchange rates, etc. Doesn't matter if you did not get caught for the duties, the fact is they apply and anyone bringing one in may get hit with them.

Secondly if taxes did not apply then the above still holds true. You DID NOT COMPARE THE SAME MODELS. So the $45 freestyle including shipping at say $15 would amount to €53. €6 cheaper.

Lastly if Amazon decide to sell the product cheaper than Leatherman, they ones that make it, then Petersons cannot be accused of being a "rip off" because they buy directly from their supplier and not from Amazon.

Why are you lying ?

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831078-Freestyle-Multi-tool/dp/B001T82R4Y

http://www.peterson.ie/p/4935/leatherman-freestyle-cx

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Why are you lying ?
    Call me a liar once more and your trolling days on this forum will be short.
    The one you quoted from Amazon is the standard Freestyle model. The one you quoted from Peterson is the CX model.

Here is the CX model on Amazon.

Spotted this Leatherman Wave just now for €85

http://www.thomann.de/ie/leatherman_wave.htm

Is there any reason why this is so much cheaper here than everywhere else? Am I missing something?

That price is a sale or reduced price from €139. The same tool can be bought here (in Ireland) for €93.

That price is ex vat so the total is €114.88. Thomann charge €15 for shipping though whereas the irish site has free shipping so only €14.88 in the difference really.

Thats my point. It's not that much cheaper. So you can pay tomorrow and have it Friday for €114 or pay tomorrow and have it in a week for €100.

• Advertisement

Looks like there's no sheath included from the Irish place though. Pity :(

No leatherman i have ever bought has come without a sheath or case. Ever. Because it's not in the picture does not mean it doesn't. Plus a call to them will tell you quicker than any back and forth here.

I don't know what else to say. If you want to save the €14 just order from Germany. Not being nasty, but at 2 am it's about as politely as i can put it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't be shy buying either Leatherman or Lenser through Petersen or any dealer in Ireland.

I've had two very positive customer service experiences with both brands, Lenser through Clarkes in Navan and Leatherman through Top Gun in

Advertisement