Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resurfacing the road outside of AIT

• 15-09-2015 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

I noticed they're doing the road outside of the IT this morning....very clever, just at the time when people are looking to use the road in the morning to get to work. It's good that the work is being done but the timing....come on lads!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

So that's why it was so stop start at the Kilmartins roundabout this morning. It would usually move slowly but we were sitting there for long periods with no movement. They did the same thing 2 weeks ago when Aloysius started back, resurfaced Pearse Street and around the castle, had to go all the way around by the Barracks and up Magazine road. Great timing and planning lads. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bobdillon

Ok it's seriously a pain in the ass to have it done just when college is back...
    But in general the roads in the town are in a total STATE especially after the water meters were put in. So it's good they're finally doing something. The whole Dublin Road needs to be redone. There isn't a single flat surface between AIT and town.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Im sure that like the schools, the workers return to mainstream work at around the same time. Bit of a feckr but what can ya do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Was there any notice given? My husband text me when he got into work at 9.15 (he's usually in for 9). Said it took him 20 mins to get from Kilmartins to the AIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Roadworks should be done at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Roadworks should be done at night
    Agreed. When people are trying to sleep and when there's less light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Agreed. When people are trying to sleep and when there's less light.

It's what they do in other countries.

Rasmus wrote: »
    It's what they do in other countries.

In towns Athlones size? No. Cities size of Dublin (M50 works were done overnight) yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Anyway it looks to be finished...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

all the exits on the dual carriageways in Mullingar now due to be resurface

why wasn't this done over the summer holidays when there was less traffic on the roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 NetDabbler

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    why wasn't this done over the summer holidays when there was less traffic on the roads?

Exactly. I think it may be due to the antiquated system that releases central government funds for works. Or maybe it's just the union calling the shots.

A lot of roadworks can be seen on the AA Roadwatch site - can't post links yet.

Yesterdays roadworks were really annoying because of the complete lack of traffic management. I was stopped at the Birr turn (R446/N52 junction) and the queue went as far as AIT and beyond - thats over 2km.

I've been working in Athlone for 14 years and I swear there's not been a single year when they haven't been digging up that ****in' Dublin Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

One of the reasons councils do most of their work towards the end of the year is to use up their budget - with them it's a case of if they don't use it, they won't be allocated as much for future years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    One of the reasons councils do most of their work towards the end of the year is to use up their budget - with them it's a case of if they don't use it, they won't be allocated as much for future years.

national roads are NRA budget, not councils

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭kooga

national roads are NRA budget, not councils
    Not nra now TII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

NetDabbler wrote: »
    Exactly. I think it may be due to the antiquated system that releases central government funds for works. Or maybe it's just the union calling the shots.

A lot of roadworks can be seen on the AA Roadwatch site - can't post links yet.

Yesterdays roadworks were really annoying because of the complete lack of traffic management. I was stopped at the Birr turn (R446/N52 junction) and the queue went as far as AIT and beyond - thats over 2km.

I've been working in Athlone for 14 years and I swear there's not been a single year when they haven't been digging up that ****in' Dublin Road.

Remember around 2002 they had the whole place torn up

Remember around 2002 they had the whole place torn up

That was progressive, laying the infra for broadband. A few days late for work was a small price to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

guylikeme wrote: »
    That was progressive, laying the infra for broadband. A few days late for work was a small price to pay.

Since then we've had lots of regressive work laying the infra for water meters.

Advertisement